LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

Just did this 'mod' over the weekend. Literally took about 30 minutes including creating my own stubby 17mm wrench. I just used a dab of grease on the banjo bolt head to make the washer stick there and it held fine. Was a few mystery things in the screen but not bad at all given the cars 99k mileage. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The perfect way to do this is a piece of thread. Tie the thread around the washer and hang it down in there. The thread will just disintegrate when you screw the bolt in.

Someone on the forum showed me that a long time ago, and it worked perfect.

Hmm. I took out my banjo filter around 20k miles ago, lost one of the 2 crush washers, just put it back together with 1, and everything seems fine.. I had a shop remove the filter entirely when they installed the bnr16g turbo - they may have re-installed a 2nd washer, I don't know. However, I would say I ran with only 1 washer for at least 5-7k miles. No leaks, no problems..

Is there anything that losing a washer could cause problems with that's NOT an external leak? I mean, the washers are only there to stop the thing from dripping, right?

The washers create a crush-seal between the bolt head and the banjo, the banjo and the block and keep leakage/spray from happening.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The screen in the banjo bolt is the whole purpose of this thread...right? lol It was put there by Subaru to help protect the fragile turbo journal bearings from getting contaminated. IMHO you don't really need this screen after the engine is fully broken in and the bearing material is out of the system.

IMHO you don't really need this screen after the engine is fully broken in and the bearing material is out of the system.

Unless you go with longer than prescribed OCIs (>3750 Miles) on normal oil filter filtration. Then it seems to be a crap shoot.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Unless you go with longer than prescribed OCIs (>3750 Miles) on normal oil filter filtration. Then it seems to be a crap shoot.

This would be me:p:). 2 microns filtration, 15k OCI, Cobbs stage 1 93 tune, 16.2 psi. of max boost & 169k+miles on the original motor & turbo. Took the original ones out at 73k. Another 4k I will have 100k on this set of banjo filter bolts. Then I will inspect & if all is fine. I will leave them out. If I have crap in them. I but new ones in & change them out every 100k.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 2 months later...

Hey great write up and it was a lot easier than I thought.

Some of pictures I thought to add more clarity for those apprehensive about tackling this project.

One showing the banjo bolt revealed after pulling the bracket and the other showing after the bolt is removed. And of course the results ofthe efforts: a hairy filter. Looked like a wooky went through it with hairs sticking out. About half clogged.

722084448_BanjoRevealed.jpg.4689e348bb038c3fe1b333344629fec2.jpg

134866161_BanjoRemoved.thumb.jpg.a10464fd4e51c1cad6e633041bc52d1f.jpg

1378495189_DirtyBanjo.jpg.1c8e2ef57a39b502332653e6a44b0831.jpg

Well, I'm swapping the turbo on my LGT, and want to bypass the OEM oil feed line (and check the banjo filter and remove possibly). I've seen this kit from P&L Motorsports, and would like to order it...but I'm not sure if I need to specify anything. They mention it has "04-08 STI and 06-08 WRX Fitment", but of course I'm upgrading to a VF52. Can anyone let me know specifically what I need to let them know when ordering? Will this even work with our cars? I found it in another thread some weeks ago, but no one mentioned about what specifically to order. Thanks!

OK Subadozer, it's past 7/7. Got that new oil line installed yet? : )

:icon_sad::iam:I assume you've been following the Bolt-up turbo upgrade thread? Back in early July Mike updated that there was a problem with getting one of the components of the replacement line. Since then...silence. He's responded to other elements of the thread but not even to a well-written request for update and ETA on these lines. :confused: I think it's Doc Crowly that had a local shop make an alternative filtered line that taps into the oil galley but I'm having problems fitting in a time to have the car down to do the turbo swap, since it's our only one, so haven't felt pressured into investigated that alternative yet. Still, everyday I open my email thinking that it might be the day that I get a PM saying that the new lines are finally available.

I've seen this kit from P&L Motorsports, and would like to order it...but I'm not sure if I need to specify anything. They mention it has "04-08 STI and 06-08 WRX Fitment",

I looked on the P&L website and a search for products didn't bring this up. Is it a stock item or something they make up to order?

I looked on the P&L website and a search for products didn't bring this up. Is it a stock item or something they make up to order?

Here's the link I have for it. http://www.pandlmotorsports.com/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_378_449&products_id=435

I looked there because people in other threads had mentioned the P&L kit...so I was looking to purchase it so I can get my LGT back on the road.

Isn't this it on Infamous' website? http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-767/Forced-Performance-Subaru-Legacy-fdsh-STi/Detail

It doesn't say the re-located screen is included and I don't think I see it in the picture, which is kind of why I'm here asking I guess. I need to check my screen and I was thinking of installing the replacement "easier to check" line while I was in there.

That's the Forced Performance line that Bryan supplies as an add-on with the BNR turbos to increase oil flow. There's no filter and that's why Mike is developing a totally different line.

Isn't this it on Infamous' website? http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-767/Forced-Performance-Subaru-Legacy-fdsh-STi/Detail

It doesn't say the re-located screen is included and I don't think I see it in the picture, which is kind of why I'm here asking I guess. I need to check my screen and I was thinking of installing the replacement "easier to check" line while I was in there.

• 4 weeks later...

You won't believe this shit. I just bought an LGT today, registered and insured it and got it road-worthy. The previous owner went through two turbos, and then sold it to me out of frustration. I got another vf40, installed it and didn't even make it home before it blew. I'm beyond angry right now.. a bit of rage I suppose.

Is it possible that the screens are so clogged it blew the THIRD TURBO in a matter of 20 miles?

I know WHERE they are, but I don't know what they look like. If I'm correct, they're placed INSIDE the banjo bolts on the feed line coming off the head, right? Is there one or two? Can I simply just remove them and leave them out?

Archived