LegacyGT.com

Changing Transmission Fluid and Rear Diff Fluid- Notes

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
have fun finding a t70 torx socket!!

i have to order one one the net. no one sells them around here, except for the mac tools and snap on tools guy. and i'm not paying 32 bucks for a socket that i'll use once every 30k.

:eek: I know how you feel. I got mine on line from Snap On for 10 dollars. I could not find one anywhere else. Bizzaro large size.

Why could they not do the same as the rear diff - 1/2" breaker bar and your good. Too simple maybe? :rolleyes:

4 quarts 75W90NS redline for the front and 1 quart regular 75W90 redline for the rear correct?
I believe NS is appropriate for the rear diff too (it's the same type of LSD as the center).

--Lee

id anyone have experiences with Amsoil gearlube 75W-90? how is it compare to Redline? thanks.

i have it in my car and it was a lot easier than i thought it would be. it didnt take me that long to change out the diff and trans fluids. it seems to have quieted down the gears a lot. i did the drain 4, fill 4, drive, drain 4 and then fill 4 method.

i have it in my car and it was a lot easier than i thought it would be. it didnt take me that long to change out the diff and trans fluids. it seems to have quieted down the gears a lot. i did the drain 4, fill 4, drive, drain 4 and then fill 4 method.

thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a sticky situation on this topic. I'm a little afraid of Uncle Scotty's Cocktail (just not enough analyses on it over than "feels great"), but it's one of the few high quality aftermarket blends that consistently yields happy people.

Conversely, I'd like to go with Subaru Extra S....but it's only purchaseable in very large quantity so it removes the DIY factor and the possibility of doing multiple changes over the years for very little money (unless, of course, I want to hold on to the 5 gallons).

Joe

Joe,

Checkout Amsoil and the Grimmspeed Cocktail if you get a chance. I run the Grimmspeed Cocktail on my STi but I've read tons of specs on the Amsoil and I believe I'm going to use them next. PM me your email and Ill send you the spec sheet.

I'm in a sticky situation on this topic. I'm a little afraid of Uncle Scotty's Cocktail (just not enough analyses on it over than "feels great"), but it's one of the few high quality aftermarket blends that consistently yields happy people.

Conversely, I'd like to go with Subaru Extra S....but it's only purchaseable in very large quantity so it removes the DIY factor and the possibility of doing multiple changes over the years for very little money (unless, of course, I want to hold on to the 5 gallons).

Joe

These guys have it in quarts-

turninconcepts

Except it's 20 a quart :eek:.

RAPTR - I'm a big fan of AMSOIL. I have it in my 06 Civic SI's trans (after 33k, I still haven't grinded 3rd gear once or been locked out of it, like I was using the stock trans fluid for 15k before the AMSOIL was in). I'm also running it as my engine oil....currently has ~12.5k on it and I'm going to take it to 14k before getting an oil analysis.

I was a member of AMSOIL so I could get it at wholesale prices. If enough people switched to AMSOIL on here for their trans and commented on how much better it felt, I might go with it...so far, I haven't really read any positive reviews and I really want the "buttery smoothness" that people report of the Extra-S.

Joe

P.s. I most likely won't use AMSOIL in the engine due to the shorter oil change requirements...at least under warranty.

By the way, loading the rear diff with a syringe = a really good idea as far as I can see. Might be a little more time-consuming, but I like the "control" it would give me.

What type of syringe did you use or where did you get it? I'm thinking a 60 CC veterinary syringe would be good....but I guess it would take 16-17 syringe-fulls to get one quart in there. That could be annoying :)

Joe

Archived