LegacyGT.com

Changing Transmission Fluid and Rear Diff Fluid- Notes

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like a good weekend evening project for me this weekend

I would definitely pick up one of these, I did the job without it and it was the worst experience I have ever had working on a car!!

Nasty gear oil all over me and the work area. I m talking about just using this to refill the Diff since the area doesn't allow you to use the bottle.

Fluid Suction/Pump Gun

• 10 months later...
I would definitely pick up one of these, I did the job without it and it was the worst experience I have ever had working on a car!!

Nasty gear oil all over me and the work area. I m talking about just using this to refill the Diff since the area doesn't allow you to use the bottle.

Fluid Suction/Pump Gun

For the rear diff ?

Just take the spare tire out, remove the rubber bung from bottom of well, and run tubing down to the fill port, put on a funnel on the tubing and filler 'er up. Easy as pie.

^ Good thinking there. I used a pump myself and I would say it was probably easier/quicker than taking the spare out and doing it your way. But if you don't have a pump and you've got someone to watch under the car to tell you when it's full, your way is pretty smart.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

^ Good thinking there. I used a pump myself and I would say it was probably easier/quicker than taking the spare out and doing it your way. But if you don't have a pump and you've got someone to watch under the car to tell you when it's full, your way is pretty smart.

Using pump is messy business. I'd say filling through the hole in a trunk is easier and faster. I don't keep spare or tools in a trunk, but how long does it take to take it out... 30 seconds?

• 2 months later...
I used redline for both of the fluids, gear oil for the rear (very different color, and 75W90NS for the front. I did have some metal on the magnets, but nothing I was overly concerned with, most were like fine grit. Hard to tell if it improved my shifting since I just did a short shifter last wed, that made the biggest difference.

Which short throw kit did you get? I was looking at them and wasn't sure which was a geometric short throw or just a shorter lever

• 1 year later...
OK so I can use the Amsoil 75W-140 Gear Oil in my tranny? How come they have separate auto tranny fluid then? Is the Sever Gear 75W-140 too much for my 08 5EAT or should I use the 75W-110? I'm going to start doing some autocross stock class so I want to change out all my fluids.

OK so I can use the Amsoil 75W-140 Gear Oil in my tranny? How come they have separate auto tranny fluid then? Is the Sever Gear 75W-140 too much for my 08 5EAT or should I use the 75W-110? I'm going to start doing some autocross stock class so I want to change out all my fluids.

Iim not an expert but from what I've been reading and understand, do not put the Amsoil 75W-140 in your tranny if you have a 5EAT

Autos do have separate tranny / diff fluid.. sounds like you knew that tho

Regular ATF in tranny

Amsoil or whatever you want in front diff

dont know if what you have is good/bad.. im going with subaru extra-s myself with my front diff when i do fluid change on my 5EAT

NO.

the 5eat takes a different automatic tranny fluid, they have a fluid for that.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/VehicleLookupPage.aspx?FromIndex=1&url2=2005+SUBARU+LEGACY+E

The sever-gear 75w-90 only goes in the front and read diff's.

I have used the that but now use Extra-S in both my cars.

I do use there European 5w-40 Full SAPS in both engines and there filter doing oil changes at 7000-8000 miles. I have had Blackstone Lab do oil analysis on both cars. I do 85% of my driving at highway speeds.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 year later...
Here's a vote for Red Line 75W90ns. Our '97 GT wagon is approaching 170K miles and has had a third-gear gronk for years. I'd asked at the dealer and other shops about changing to different gear lube and everyone had the same answer: It's a tranny problem and Sube's juice was the way to go. So I finally swapped in the Red Line a week ago and the shifting issue has simply disappeared! Goes in and out of every gear easily and smoothly, although you can still get a little complaint from third if you push it. Even my wife notices how much better it shifts. I'd long ago figured it was synchros that weren't up to the task but am now pleased and surprised it's not. Good stuff!

Archived