LegacyGT.com

Changing Transmission Fluid and Rear Diff Fluid- Notes

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as I know wether or not the MT shares the same fluid is debated. MT supposebly needs 75w90NS for the front, 75w90 rear. NS stands for non-slip. It's a different additive package and formulation to play nice with the tranny. That is what you should get for the MT. It has already been talked about at length in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I changed my differential and tranny oil today.

The lower plug in the differential was a bear - I nearly gave up but alas I prevailed!

I have been driving on Redline gear oil for about 50k miles. I have to say, the magnetic plugs looked pretty good, just a thin layer of grey sludge. The oil itself was a little cloudy looking and some grey tint to it. I'd say the Redline oil done good.

I had forgotten how much I disliked the smell of gear oil! lol

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

• 2 months later...

Instead of creating a new thread, I'd thought I'd post here.

I was going with the following options for the front diff/tranny based on what I have available to me... which one would you choose? I don't feel like trying to source Extra-S at the moment... not that it matters, I'm using Red Line Heavy Shockproof in the rear.

AndrewTech Automotive recommended:

3qt Red Line Light Weight Shockproof

1qt Motul Gear 300

or

My own mix:

2qt Castrol Hypoy C (I have some left over)

2qt Red Line Light Weight Shockproof

or

PhilT recommended:

3qt Red Line 75W90NS

1qt Red Line Light Weight Shockproof

• 8 months later...

Fun fact that I didn't really find anywhere:

For a 2009 Spec.B, you will also need a 10mm hex bit for the oil pan drain plug on the bottom of the trans. Looks like a sump, and will have a hex plug on it. When you pop this, you're going to drain a LOT more of the fluid. Make sure you do both to get it drained out.

This bolt also has a flat washer that if you get a kit from somewhere like Fred Beans, is not going to be included.

Additionally your rear diff has 2 17mm regular bolts for the plugs instead of the 1/2" square recesses, and also use flat washers (which again, will not be included). It also uses a bit more fluid than normal, you'll put a full liter in there to get it filled.

• 3 weeks later...
Fun fact that I didn't really find anywhere:

This bolt also has a flat washer that if you get a kit from somewhere like Fred Beans, is not going to be included.

Additionally your rear diff has 2 17mm regular bolts for the plugs instead of the 1/2" square recesses, and also use flat washers (which again, will not be included)

Can you elaborate on what kind and/or the part numbers for these?

Are they re-usable flat washers or the typical crush washers and are they the same size as say the oil drain plug washer?

Thanks

Can you elaborate on what kind and/or the part numbers for these?

Are they re-usable flat washers or the typical crush washers and are they the same size as say the oil drain plug washer?

Thanks

I don't have part numbers, but they are flat washers which are not supposed to be re-used (per service manual). They're not the typical crush washers. I suspect this also only applies to the Spec.B 6MT.

FWIW, I did not replace the washers when I change the fluids in the 09 Spec B. I did use Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 in both. I also put the Amsoil in my 05 GT 5mt, that new/used rear diff (40,000 miles on it) got the last of my Extra-S.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
Anyone know where is the 5eat drain plug? Pictures will be more helpful. I want to change the tranny fluid...let me know.

Look straight in behind the left front wheel. It's right there on the side of the pan.

The poster above mentioned new washers on both, but mine only has one that I know of (an '05).

Jack up the right side a little bit, it'll help drain the last of the fluid.

• 1 month later...

Archived