LegacyGT.com

Changing Transmission Fluid and Rear Diff Fluid- Notes

Skip the syringe...I just used a little pump for filling outboard motors (little hand pump like on a hand soap bottle, then it has a small hose attached that usually screws onto the outboarde motor housing). Cheap and works great. Even Walmart might have one. You could also use a little cheap pump for siphoning gas.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in a sticky situation on this topic. I'm a little afraid of Uncle Scotty's Cocktail (just not enough analyses on it over than "feels great"), but it's one of the few high quality aftermarket blends that consistently yields happy people.

Conversely, I'd like to go with Subaru Extra S....but it's only purchaseable in very large quantity so it removes the DIY factor and the possibility of doing multiple changes over the years for very little money (unless, of course, I want to hold on to the 5 gallons).

Joe

I just ordered a bucket of the Extra-S for me to do my 60k change and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have some left over. I've got a few friends locally who also have Subaru's but I doubt we'll burn through half of it. If your interested in buying some, please let me know. I'm south of Pittsburgh.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a good funnel for filling 5MT; CarQuest part #30065.

Works like a charm on my '97. Looks like maybe it'll require

removing the air duct (from air filter box to manifold) on the

'06, but that's really easy to do and you're probably doing it

anyhow to get to the air filter more easily.

Hey everyone -

I feel like an idiot asking this... but I want to be safe. So I know for a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT 5MT I need 4 liters for the front and 1 liter for the rear:

75W90NS for the front (4 liters)

75W90 for the rear (1 liter)

Most redline products sell the liquids in 1 quart bottles. So... here is the dumb question... how many bottles do I actually need to get?

Much thanks :confused:

• 1 year later...
Got a question about the copper gasket that is supposed to be used on the transmission drain plug. What is the p/n or dimensions for this gasket? Is this the same as the crush gasket that is used on the oil drain plug? I have been looking all over and i cant seem to find this info anywhere. Can I get this at napa...autozone, or do I need to go to the subaru dealer? Thanks for your help.:confused:

Got a question about the copper gasket that is supposed to be used on the transmission drain plug. What is the p/n or dimensions for this gasket? Is this the same as the crush gasket that is used on the oil drain plug? I have been looking all over and i cant seem to find this info anywhere. Can I get this at napa...autozone, or do I need to go to the subaru dealer? Thanks for your help.:confused:

It's not the same as the oil drain plug gasket, at least not on my car.

Any decent Subaru dealer should be able to sell you the right part; most

of us buy from dealers who do mail order, for better prices and less

attitude than the local dealers provide. Also, car parts stores sell

generic crush washers in various diameters - I just bought a couple for

my oil drain plug. You might try this route - of course, how do you

know the diameter without bringing in your tranny drainplug ??

I just did this myself today as part of my 30K. I used Red Line 75W90NS in the 5MT and 75W90 in the rear diff.

What in the world did those gorillas use to tighten those rear diff plugs?!? Unbelievable how hard those were on (significantly more than lug nuts), which is pretty silly given they are not load bearing in any way.

Given what many others were finding on their plug magnets, I was rather surprised to find only very fine metallic sludge, no significant chunks of any kind. This is my first gear oil change at 30,003 miles.

On my test drive afterwards, I was glad my shifting is no worse than stock and probably a touch better. Actually, my car has always shifted very smoothly for me, and I do rev match 95% of my shifts, but I was a little worried about non-stock gear oil even though I've used Red Line in the past in other cars. I believe my 2nd gear whine was significantly reduced with the Red Line vs. stock. This gear oil should do quite a bit better in the New England winter compared to the stock non-synth.

I also replaced my air filter and flushed my brake fluid (from ATE SuperBlue to Typ 200 which is yellow but otherwise the same--you can see when you start bleeding the new fluid) to complete my 30K. I had the dealer flush the coolant with a $40 coupon from my local dealer a couple days ago. (I'm in the middle of an oil change interval, so that will come later.)

--Lee

For the record I have an 08 LGT 5EAT. I did a transmission drain and fill with Amsoil ATF and a front and rear diff drain and fill with Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-110.

The rear diff has 2 10mm allen drain plugs. Those were torqued on really tight from the factory. I had to use a breaker bar to get it loose. The filler plug was semirounded when I finished. I hit both plugs with a couple good sprays of PB Blaster.

Both the front and rear diff drain plugs had a LOT of metal shavings on the magnet part of the plug.

For the 5EAT Automatic Transmission drain and fill, I think you should fill it with 3.5qts of ATF. I found 4.0qts to be too much. When the transmission is cold it is now at the MAX HOT level on the dipstick. I have to do another drain and fill next weekend to remove the residual amount of ATF so I'm not too worried about being over right now.

Looks like the Redline 75W90NS is the favorite for the MT box in the GT, but I'm not sure what the right Redline gear oil is for the rear diff. Since it is a limited slip diff, should it not use the LS Oil?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-57904/

The other option would be:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-50304/

Any thoughts?

Looks like the Redline 75W90NS is the favorite for the MT box in the GT, but I'm not sure what the right Redline gear oil is for the rear diff. Since it is a limited slip diff, should it not use the LS Oil?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-57904/

The other option would be:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-50304/

Any thoughts?

Can someone clear this up?

Does a standard LGT have a "limited slip" rear diff. I heard that was in the Spec.B but maybe I'm wrong.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112536&highlight=limited+slip+rear+diff

On second thought, it would appear as if the LGT has a viscous limited slip rear diff while the Spec.B has a torsen limited slip rear diff.

I am the second owner of this car (I bought the 05 RBP wagon advertised on this forum from SJG in Pelham, NY). He included the original window sticker. Under "Safety" the second line is "Limited Slip Rear Differential". Maybe they added it late in the model year so some have it and some do not. Either way I would suspect I should be using the LS 75/90 Redline gear oil. Any comments?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

for anyone with an '07 spec B, the trans has a T70 torx bit AND a oil pan bolt that needs to be removed to drain all the oil. The same amount of oil (3.7 quarts).

The rear diff has a (2) 17mm standard bolts instead of 1/2" square allen style bolt.

It also holds 1.2qts instead of the .7 quarts as I've read ('05-'06)

Oddly enough, I don't think anyone told the assembly line guys that though. I only drained .7 quarts from my rear diff when I changed fluid.

the dealer here quoted me about $570 to do the 90k service so I decided i'd take it on myself. Can anyone help me out with some specs ( i dont have the owners manual for the car) How much front and rear differential fluid is needed and how much transmission fluid for the 5mt. I was thinking redline (and dealer told me 80-90) any suggestions?

I think you want to use the Reline NS for the front.

Probably 3 or 4 quarts.

1 quart should do it for the rear and you can use the stuff without the NS on it.

75w90 rings a bell.

I'm too lazy to look up my records today... or I'm just really busy working.

There are some good walk throughs and details if you keep searching.

SHould find all the tools you need. Yeah I did my own... the hardest part was probably the spark plugs but after reading the stories on here it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I did the complete exhaust including uppipe, downpipe, cat back....

and after doing that 3 times to find a leak and eventually figuring out I had to double the gaskets.... anything seems possible!!!!

I received something by redline called MT-90 on the front, says its a 75w90 transmission/gear oil that's not too slippery or something.

i got 4 qts of the NS for the front, and this one qt of the mt 90 for the rear. Is this the right stuff? pictures in thread by creator just say 75w90 / 75w90ns on front, no mt-90 junk

ed

searched google, think it's the wrong shit- gl-4 instead of gl-5. damn.

Archived