LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Forester thead

godwhomismike

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got the latest edition of Consumer Reports. The 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited was rated as their top performer smal SUV. Got 87 points out of 100.

Behind that was:

2) Rav4 Limited - 83

3) Forester 2.5X - 82

4) Santa Fe Limited - 80

5) Rav4 Base - 77

6) Cr-V EX - 74

7) Outlander LS - 73

8) Rogue SL - 73

9) Outlander XLS - 70

10) Tuscson SE - 67

Highs: Acceleration, fuel economy, ride, handling, rear seat, visibility, controls, access, driving position, crash-test results

Lows: Premium fuel, noisy fan and temperature modulation for auto climate control

• 1 month later...
Guest heightsgtltd

There's nothing that earth shattering about a left hand drive forester diesel. Aside from UK, that's how people drive all across Europe :lol:

and unfortunately those numbers are kinda shitty for diesel MPG :spin:

Also keep in mind that the EPA's milage figures are very conservative. For example, the TDi Jetta is rated at 44 mpg on the highway but I have heard of people hitting in the mid fifties cruising at 75 mph on the highway. Real world figures for the turbo diesel Forrester will probably be low to mid 30's for city and close to 50 on the highway.

Subaru Forester

The newly redesigned Subaru Forester that debuted in Detroit was shown with a traditional four-cylinder gasoline engine, but during his speech at the unveiling, Subaru's president announced that a diesel version would come to North America by 2010. No details about the engine, emissions, or fuel economy were divulged, but let's hope that Subaru will offer automatic and manual transmissions for the Forester then as they do now — a diesel crossover with a manual should really shake up the industry

http://www.forbesautos.com/news/features/2008/detroit-does-diesel-slideshow_10.html?thisSpeed=8000

Excellent review:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009-subaru-forester-xt-review/

Pretty much sums up my opinion about the redesign. I really didn't understand the point of this vehicle when you could get an Outback for almost the same price. After the redesign I REALLY don't understand the point of this. It looks just like a CRV or RAV4 now, no longer unique. I actually liked the boxy quirkiness of the old model and considered getting one. The Forester is no longer the car like wagon thing and is just another poor handling tippy compact SUV thingy now. The Toyotification of Subaru is not going to be good for the brand.

After Subaru's recent murder spree of turbocharged models, I am surprised the Forester even gets an XT option. I would have thought they'd have had an H6 version instead to compete with the Rav 4's V6.

Seems like they have increased the models with the new Impreza GT to appeal to those non-boy racer types.

• 5 weeks later...

Video clip of my '09 FXT w/ the SPT exhaust (keeping it under 4K RPM).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wghoLP-uL-I]YouTube - 2009 Forester XT Limited w/ SPT Exhaust[/ame]

How it drives: With that exhaust it sounds and drives like a muscle car out of '69/'70. It has a boatload of torque, your ride height is high, the suspension is soft (not complaining), and the tires kinda suck. Stickier tires and a rear sway, and it would be better than my '05 LGT (stock). Maybe in the spring... For now, it is what I am looking for. It's practical, cheaper to insure, suspension makes poorly maintained roads comfortable to drive, and I find it more fun to drive, as well as more comfortable. Overall, I love it.

(Make sure you have some good dedicated speakers for the video. Laptop speakers and built-in computer speakers can not reproduce the very bassy exhaust sound)

Archived