LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Forester thead

godwhomismike

Good for Subaru I guess.

The only think I can think of is that Acura wanted people to continue to conotate this car with good fuel efficiency. And the 2.3L turbo has shown to be the opposite of fuel efficient, though I realize that an RDX is a completely different animal than the TSX.

Wouldnt be much point if Acura had added the 2.3L to a FWD car. The TSX's well reviewed handling would be shot to hell. SH-AWD would be a must. So yeah, the fuel economy probably wouldnt be overly impressive, but the car would have been far more appealing, to me at least, and a real LGT competitor.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Debating a subjective quality such as appearance is a waste of time. If everyone liked the same thing we would not have as many choices as we do. If you don't like the looks of the vehicle and would not consider buying one, why waste your time in this thread trying to convince the rest of us of your superior tastes?
It is still ugly.

One would think that Subaru would have made the sporty (turbo) version handle well...:rolleyes:

the roll doesn't detract from actual handling. most subaru's roll quite a bit but the car grips like stink. I hooned an automatic Forester XT with no drama. There aren't many other small suvs that will hang on like the new forester.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why bother posting on an internet forum at all?

debating all sorts of things, important, not, or even hypothetical, is the whole point.

Debating quantitative topics I can accept. Buy a dictionary.

It is still ugly.

I have a good one. Which word didn't you understand? I'll post the definition for you.

If qualitative topics are off limits, then what is the point of having a discussion, on an internet forum or not?

And to whom do you owe gratitude for making you the arbiter of propriety, or the enforcer of relevance?

Are those big enough words for you?

Don't like the conversation? Move along and find somewhere else that will acquiesce to your capricious and autarchic restrictions. I don't, and won't do so.

I went to a Subaru-sponsored Forester test-drive at Whole Foods in Atlanta on Sunday (4/20). Pretty lame, with just a registration table and two Foresters to take for a spin on suburban Atlanta roads. Glad I got there early, as the wait time grew quickly. Received a $25 Whole Food gift card, which was nice, but the email invitation mentioned food and a chance to win $500. Anyone else experience this event?

And now that Subaru has decided to try to go mainstream instead of a niche market, they are trying to design vehicles that will appeal to more people. Even though the Forester is designed to appeal to a broader range of people, I do like the looks better.

Obviously their tactics worked - my parental units just bought themselves a 09 Forester. I think they bought the base model though - they don't have a need for a turbo.

Reading what the automotive press has to say, it seems everyone is in agreement that they've made the Forester into a generic small SUV (RAV4, Santa Fe, etc.) because that's what the sheep in America want.

I am getting a bit tired of that characterization.

It seems more and more like this:

Reading what the automotive press has to say, it seems everyone is in agreement that they've made the Forester into a generic small SUV (RAV4, Santa Fe, etc.) because *they think everyone is a sheep in America, so this is what they think the sheep want.*

America has a tendency to buy what is available, not hold their breath for what is not available.

IF most of the car companies believe the american buyer is a sheep, and offer what they think a sheep buying public wants... they are going to get buyers.

The thing is, that they would have gotten those buyers AND MANY MORE, had they built something from a premise that American customers are discriminating buyers, as well, and offered commensurately quality products. (or sometimes even offer what is available overseas... several companies have that issue.)

Some of it is the buying public "settling" for what they get.

Some of it is only being given products that require one to settle on. Some of that bit, is the government regulating what vehicles can be sold and how, and making us settle on what they say.

Alternately, Look at the iPod. It is a fantastic product, and has 80% of it's marketshare, yet some don't like it, and buy something else. Yet it still requires one to settle a bit, to use an Apple product, and their method of managing it, to a large extent. Other devices have radio tuners, iPod does not. The iPhone has also caused major ripples in the cell phone market, despite the iPhone's drawbacks, like being expensive, AND locked down, and not having stereo audio via bluetooth, when other inferior devices do. (man, do I wish my iPhone had stereo bluetooth music and youTube app audio playback.)

All products, even good or great ones, require some "settle for" factor. I think the automotive industry has more "settle for" factor than most industries, and it is industry-wide.

Settle for a low-trim model with a stick shift, or settle for an automatic in a higher trim car. Settle for a car that looks good, but is heavy. Settle for a nice engine, but an ugly exterior, or interior... All sorts of "settle for". I am sure we can all come up with some of that.

Some of that is to be expected. Some is just inertia of a big industry that makes it hard to innovate or specialize. Some of it is decision makers thinking that they have a grasp on what the public wants, when they really have a somewhat narrow view. It happens. But it can't all be pinned on the "American Sheep".

I think this model revision is going to do pretty well for Subaru. I have seen at least 10 new ones around with temp plates and it just appeared in our area a few weeks ago. I live where Subaru's are very common. Heck I see one-two LGT's per week who are not on this board.

The new Impreza does not seem to have caught on as well though. I have seen very few around and less of the WRX.

I think this model revision is going to do pretty well for Subaru. I have seen at least 10 new ones around with temp plates and it just appeared in our area a few weeks ago. I live where Subaru's are very common. Heck I see one-two LGT's per week who are not on this board.

The new Impreza does not seem to have caught on as well though. I have seen very few around and less of the WRX.

The new Forester is doing well out the gate.

The Impreza wagon has a good sized following here in Utah, the sedan not so much.

Archived