LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Forester thead

godwhomismike

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tough to make it bigger and better fuel economy.

Not really.

Direct injection

CVTs or even a 5EAT

Dual variable valve timing

And Im seeing a ton of Forester commericals. I hope this advertising works for Subaru.

Not really.

Direct injection

CVTs or even a 5EAT

Dual variable valve timing

And Im seeing a ton of Forester commericals. I hope this advertising works for Subaru.

In this realm it is competitive to its peers in MPG. The Matrix and RAV4 get slightly less MPG. The CRV with AWD gets similar MPG with a 5EAT. I see it as competitive which good given an old school engine design.

In this realm it is competitive to its peers in MPG. The Matrix and RAV4 get slightly less MPG. The CRV with AWD gets similar MPG with a 5EAT. I see it as competitive which good given an old school engine design.

The 269 hp AWD Rav 4 is rated for 19/26

The 224 hp AWD Forester is rated for 19/24

Given the vast horsepower discrepency, not even close in my book.

The whole problem I have is the old school engine design. And I know that most people here agree with me when I scratch my head and go, "I can't believe in the year 2008 this car is available only with a 4 speed auto"

The 269 hp AWD Rav 4 is rated for 19/26

The 224 hp AWD Forester is rated for 19/24

Given the vast horsepower discrepency, not even close in my book.

The whole problem I have is the old school engine design. And I know that most people here agree with me when I scratch my head and go, "I can't believe in the year 2008 this car is available only with a 4 speed auto"

Yeah, but I hate the spare tire hanging off the back. Nice engineering.

It is still ugly.

I am getting a bit tired of that characterization.

It seems more and more like this:

America has a tendency to buy what is available, not hold their breath for what is not available.

IF most of the car companies believe the american buyer is a sheep, and offer what they think a sheep buying public wants... they are going to get buyers.

The thing is, that they would have gotten those buyers AND MANY MORE, had they built something from a premise that American customers are discriminating buyers, as well, and offered commensurately quality products. (or sometimes even offer what is available overseas... several companies have that issue.)

Some of it is the buying public "settling" for what they get.

Some of it is only being given products that require one to settle on. Some of that bit, is the government regulating what vehicles can be sold and how, and making us settle on what they say.

Alternately, Look at the iPod. It is a fantastic product, and has 80% of it's marketshare, yet some don't like it, and buy something else. Yet it still requires one to settle a bit, to use an Apple product, and their method of managing it, to a large extent. Other devices have radio tuners, iPod does not. The iPhone has also caused major ripples in the cell phone market, despite the iPhone's drawbacks, like being expensive, AND locked down, and not having stereo audio via bluetooth, when other inferior devices do. (man, do I wish my iPhone had stereo bluetooth music and youTube app audio playback.)

All products, even good or great ones, require some "settle for" factor. I think the automotive industry has more "settle for" factor than most industries, and it is industry-wide.

Settle for a low-trim model with a stick shift, or settle for an automatic in a higher trim car. Settle for a car that looks good, but is heavy. Settle for a nice engine, but an ugly exterior, or interior... All sorts of "settle for". I am sure we can all come up with some of that.

Some of that is to be expected. Some is just inertia of a big industry that makes it hard to innovate or specialize. Some of it is decision makers thinking that they have a grasp on what the public wants, when they really have a somewhat narrow view. It happens. But it can't all be pinned on the "American Sheep".

Car makers produce what people will buy. When consumers started buying Jeeps and Ford Broncos in the 80's in droves, the manufacturers followed suit. Station wagons and hatchbacks are considered uncool here, so we have slim pickings. When women in particular realized that they love to drive at a high seating position, the floodgates where opened. And most women and men drive these things because they can't be caught dead in a minivan. Americans are sheep, pure and simple.

i think minivans are pretty cool. My parents almost got a Chrysler LXi a while back when i was in middleschool i thought it was cool. Actually my grandfater was in car sales for a long time he bought the first year of the Dodge Carivan for a work car (always had caddies for him and my grandmother for regular cars) Actually in the barn we still have a Caddilac Limmo. not a stretch but an 80s limmo produced by GM. Has two jump seats with no seatbelts and stereo control in the back seat, no privacy window. pretty cool car probably worth something down the road...

he gave it to my uncle id love to get my hands on it someday since it just sits covered in the barn at my grandparents house

• 1 month later...
So there is a local band here that is perhaps my favorite band. They put on a good show. Anyway, Im at a bar last night and we get talking to one of the members (a big thrill for me) and he mentions that he just got an '09 Forester. Says he likes, drives well, and good price. I'm sold!

I saw one yesterday that was all black, with dark tint, and it was lowered. It sat with the wheels kind of tucking, man that thing looked pretty nice. I don't like how tall they sit and how high the body is, but this lowered one looked killer.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

I am seriously contemplating ordering one. Going to hold out to when Subaru announces the 2009 WRX, and when I finally test drive both the G8 GT and the G37. But, I am leaning very much to the Forester.

IF I put the order in for the FXT, I will be getting the following:

2009 Forester XT Limited with Navigation

Obsidian Black w/ black leather interior

- subwoofer

- auto-dimming mirrors

- cargo tray

- all-weather floor mats

- puddle lights

- alarm shock sensor

- front bumper underguard

- Sirius Satellite Radio

- Body Side Molding Kit

- SPT Exhaust

- SPT Intake (or K&N high-flow drop in air-filter)

- Front and rear strut braces

November/December - would probably order a set of 16" wheels with A/T tires. :cool:

My wife is gonna want out of her minivan about N0v/Dec timeframe as well. I keep working her on the Forester, but she likes the Highlander Hybrid more (3 rows). If I get her to my side, I'd option it out pretty much the same as yours (without the SPT parts / +1 to K&N).

Not a fan of that YouTube vid -- the sound is low. Might as well stay stock, IMO. She's not going to be wanting any mods anyway other than I'll have to see if the Impreza iPod kit plugs into the Forester SAT like the Legacy...:confused:

btw.. I doubt a G37 would handle my yearly trips to Home Depot, and local gardening places, where I pick up several bags of soil and mulch, plants, and other gardening stuff. :lol:

Saw this on the 3gWRX forum and thought of you. So far I really love my 08 and haven't had any problems with it. I haven't hauled anything in it really except for my dog, and he didn't seem to mind.

http://amykdean.com/albums/album05/O8_WRX_13_bas_of_mulch.sized.jpg

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Well, drove both the X-limited with 5MT and the XT last weekend, and I was underwhelmed by both, particularly the X. It seemed completely underpowered, compared to my wife's 2001 Forester S (with an Auto) and the XT had serious gaps in it's power delivery. Fit, finish, overall quality, very typical Japanese (built in Japan) quality - so no issues there. I thought the interior was so-so, not as advanced as I expected, but still very, moving-upscale, Subaru-ish.

Body roll was horrific at best. And the fact that the XT only comes with the 4EAT, deal-breaker, so walked away thinking something else... just don't know what yet. But until they get that bit right, I don't foresee a Forester in our future plans

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived