LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Forester thead

godwhomismike

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest heightsgtltd
Stop chuggin the haterade, it's a Subaru for chrisakes, get over it.

Not sure if this was for intended for my comment, but I disagree. It would be nice if there was a single car in the Subaru lineup aside from the LGT that I like the looks of.

In particular, I prefer the 07 Forester looks, and others on here agree.

So I finally test-drove the CRV and then an XT. If the CRV didn't suck balls at acceleration it would walk all over the XT IMHO. The XT, however, does have a roomier and much more comfortable back seat. What made me really dislike the XT was some awkward shifting and TERRIBLE body roll. They must have made the ground clearance TOO high.

I will say the XT is MUCH quieter inside than previous models and it does ride very well around town and at speed. That is all. Now my wife and I are actually seriously trying to buy one of these:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=ascending&sortfield=PRICE+ascending,PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-|E-|M-_1_|D-_8231_|N-N|R-500|I-1|P-PRICE+ascending,PRICE+descending|Q-ascending|Z-80226&aff=national&paId=135632769&recnum=7&leadExists=true

This is the best of both worlds for a little more money if you go slightly used.

Not sure if this was for intended for my comment, but I disagree. It would be nice if there was a single car in the Subaru lineup aside from the LGT that I like the looks of.

I agree the 07 sport was the best looking forester up to that point. I do like the looks of the 09 better than any previous for what the vehicle is intended to be, a small SUV. And now that Subaru has decided to try to go mainstream instead of a niche market, they are trying to design vehicles that will appeal to more people. Even though the Forester is designed to appeal to a broader range of people, I do like the looks better, unlike the Impreza which I think looks like total ass, sedan more so that the hatch. I just hope they don't destroy the Legacy styling, but if they go bigger I most likely won't buy a new one, and will look at something else.

Guest heightsgtltd

Don't get me wrong, the new Forester is ok for what it has become, but that is the problem. It is turning into another me too small SUV.

We agree on the Impreza, that thing is a ******* joke.

Your concern is exactly what I am suggesting will happen based on the current styling language and direction that Subaru has been taking.

^^ please have your eyes checked :p

FWIW, I dont agree with most of the vocal detractors on this forum.

I like the way the new STI/Impreza wagon looks. Very much so. Especially the STI. I do not like the sedan as much

I think the Forester looks good as well.

I think there were incentives not too long ago on the RDX - so $33K for a new RDX w/ tech package was definitely do-able.

Yes, Acura was doing a great incentive program recently. The RDX is an outstanding crossover, and it obviously outclasses the Forester. If I were in the market for a mini-ute, the RDX is what I would buy.

A few years from now you will consider the frog-eye Impreza cute and the current Legacy one of the best designs ever! :)

453747.png

one thing that turned me away from the RDX is gas mileage. it downright sucks. if you see the boards, it regularly gets worse mileage than an MDX. i also think its pretty ugly compared to other small suvs. other vehicles in the acura line are superior imho (TL, RSX, TSX, MDX - but not RL)

So I finally test-drove the CRV and then an XT. If the CRV didn't suck balls at acceleration it would walk all over the XT IMHO. The XT, however, does have a roomier and much more comfortable back seat. What made me really dislike the XT was some awkward shifting and TERRIBLE body roll. They must have made the ground clearance TOO high.

I will say the XT is MUCH quieter inside than previous models and it does ride very well around town and at speed. That is all. Now my wife and I are actually seriously trying to buy one of these:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=ascending&sortfield=PRICE+ascending,PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-|E-|M-_1_|D-_8231_|N-N|R-500|I-1|P-PRICE+ascending,PRICE+descending|Q-ascending|Z-80226&aff=national&paId=135632769&recnum=7&leadExists=true

This is the best of both worlds for a little more money if you go slightly used.

one thing that turned me away from the RDX is gas mileage. it downright sucks. if you see the boards, it regularly gets worse mileage than an MDX. i also think its pretty ugly compared to other small suvs. other vehicles in the acura line are superior imho (TL, RSX, TSX, MDX - but not RL)

Ew. The MDX isn't exactly fuel efficient as it is.

The RDX is hideous. All of the Acuras look good but the RDX is like poop on a stick. fugly.

RDX was just the beginning.

09 RL, and 09 TSX are both off the deep-end, style wise.

Acura has jumped the shark. Now they are trying to look like one, and failing at that, too.

RDX was just the beginning.

09 RL, and 09 TSX are both off the deep-end, style wise.

Acura has jumped the shark. Now they are trying to look like one, and failing at that, too.

I think its funny how so many were saying the new TSX was going to be an LGT killer.

A lot less will be saying that now

Good for Subaru I guess.

The only think I can think of is that Acura wanted people to continue to conotate this car with good fuel efficiency. And the 2.3L turbo has shown to be the opposite of fuel efficient, though I realize that an RDX is a completely different animal than the TSX.

TSX without a turbo, and only ~200hp still gets Legacy GT levels of fuel economy.

teens in town, and just over 20 on the highway.

It is called over-stressing an weak engine. keeping it on the boil all the time, just to keep the car moving uses more fuel than a bigger displacement engine that barely has to turn over to keep the car moving.

Hence V8 big cars get better mileage than turbo cars with smaller displacement and still high hp numbers.

A v8 turning 2300rpms at cruise with a 0.6:1 overdrive is more fuel efficient at cruise than a turbo 4 turning 3300rpms, 2-3lbs of boost, with a 0.85:1 overdrive at roughly the same speed.

A non turbo motor gets overloaded even more at the same speed, which demands more power to maintain speed, and that requires more fuel.

Where V8s and turbo 4s don't shine, is under accelleration. Raw fuel useage, especially rich running turbos.

Archived