LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Forester thead

godwhomismike

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't drive the Forester XT. Sat in it, checked it out in black - and fell in love with it. I really like the 2009 Forester XT. Definitely at the top of my list. I didn't want to bug the sales person to play musical Foresters to get it out - it was parked behind a few Foresters.

I liked it. Seats are definitely more comfortable than what I have now. The visibility out of it is better than my LGT. The sunroof is huge - I opened it up, and the opening is just massive. Everything feels like good quality inside.

I should've called ahead and said I would like to come and test drive it. Oh well. I did get the brochure.

Would you please scan and post at least parts of the brochure, if not the whole brochure?

Have fun with a 4speed auto, it's 1987 all over again :lol:

Yes SOA again defying all logic (to the mind of a car enthusiast anyway)

They took one out of the Lexus playbook, you can get an IS250 with a manual and auto but no manual on the IS350, and look, the 2.5 NA gets manual and auto and the turbo is auto only..

What *@&()*& tools.

Seriously I think the one I own now is my last Subaru.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Some folks, somewhere, in Ford, Subaru, Toyota, and others...

Think that a manual transmission is only for stripped-down bargain cars, for fuel economy.

I realize that the manual transmission is not a mainstream option, I lament that, but realize that most people don't.

But these decision makers forget one group of some of the most vociferous consumers of automobiles... the enthusiast.

Enthusiasts like manual transmissions in a higher percentage than the general public, and turbos (like the Legacy GT, Forester XT, WRX, STI, ect...) call out to enthusiasts like a siren song. When the enthusiasts catch an echo of that song, and come closer, they are dashed on the rocks of 4-speed automatic only, in the Forester XT's case.

In the WRX/STI's case it is a Quasimodo-ugly bodystyle.

In Legacy GT/Spec B's case it might be an ever-so-slightly high pricetag or just not hearing that echo in the first place. Otherwise the Legacy turbo is pretty darn compelling.

In the IS's case it is lack of practicality (tiny cabin) for the high price, and odd feature mix.

In Ford's case it is blatant badge engineering, and barely-trying product development. And an ugly gillette-wannabe grille.

Nice job not getting the point of a Turbocharged Subaru, Subaru.

Funny, but Ford only offers Faux-Wheel-drive with higher trim models and automatic transmissions. Lexus offers the IS250 with AWD, or with a manual transmission, but not both, and neither one on the higher trim model IS350.

Infiniti does the same, by offering either automatic with AWD OR 6-speed, but not both on the G35.

Infiniti can redeem itself to the enthusiasts by offering a special vehicle. A G50x Coupe. FX50's new 5-liter VVEL 390hp V8 (tuned up to an even 400hp, or higher), with GT-R's paddle-shift dual-clutch AWD transaxle converted to a transmission behind the V8 engine, with ATTESSA AWD intact, with the Infiniti/Nissan front and rear diffs. All in the G37's sexy profile, and a few performance-oriented visual tune-ups, like an aggressive but not ricey bumper cover, black headlights, black straighter (not convex at the top edge) grille, etc. Recaro Seats, top end suspension and brake equipment... that sort of stuff. Take the fight to the BMW V8 M3 and Audi S5 coupe, for less money, and better looks and AWD capability.

IF the GT-R had a regular 6-speed with AWD, I would ask for that, unless they can use the previous GT-R iteration's 6-speed... But a dual-clutch robotic transmission is better than a hydraulic automatic transmission.

But even the "Performance-oriented" FX-series of crossover-Utes don't have manual transmission options, at least not on the FX50. The FX35 doesn't even get the 3.7 engine like the G37. (probably a PR move so that an SUV doesn't get that bonus until after the 370Z does.)

The 4-speed has been around for a while and should be reliable. It has features that the tranmissions of its leading competitors (CR-V and RAV4) lack (e.g., manual mode). Also, based on media first drives, it seems to work just fine. It's only value appears to be for those who like to brag about spec sheets.

:icon_roll

Guest heightsgtltd

umm.. have you driven a Forester XT with one? I have and it's terrible. Have you? :rolleyes:

Secondly, look around the competition and show me another car in it's class in 2009 that offers a 4speed tranny.

Kthanx

umm.. have you driven a Forester XT with one? I have and it's terrible. Have you? :rolleyes:

Secondly, look around the competition and show me another car in it's class in 2009 that offers a 4speed tranny.

Kthanx

Apparently, the '09 auto is a different unit than the previous unit. I've driven the '07 XT, it wasn't bad, but didn't feel so quick. But then again, I felt the same way about the 2008 LGT. I think Subaru worked the power output on their cars to feel very smooth and undramatic when accelerating. My '05 LGT, it's not the quickest thing on the road by far, but the way it accelerates is very explosive bursts. It's either nothing, or everything. It's a lot more fun when it's like that.

Subaru has been horribly behind the times with powertrain technology. There's no reason why the LGT/OBXT/FXT shouldn't have 6MT options and the rest of the lineup (maybe barring the base Impreza and Forester) have 5EATs... admittedly with some better calibration.

Judging by how every Subie I drive SCREAMS on the highway, an extra cog HAS to help with fuel economy.

Judging by how every Subie I drive SCREAMS on the highway, an extra cog HAS to help with fuel economy.

It doesn't. Subaru uses the extra cog for mid range performance and not for fuel economy. the 4eat forester gets similar gas mileage to the other small suvs using 5eats and cvts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It doesn't. Subaru uses the extra cog for mid range performance and not for fuel economy. the 4eat forester gets similar gas mileage to the other small suvs using 5eats and cvts

Some yes, like the Rogue.

But take the V6 Rav 4 with 270 hp = 19/26

vs. the Forester XT with 224 ph = 18/23.

Thats a pretty significant difference.

Oh... That's not too bad compared to a 3-speed auto...

The old XT I had (in my Avatar) had a 3-speed auto and aside from a lousy mileage (no lock-up) it also had a completely improper gear stepping.

At full throttle it shifted from 2:nd to 3:rd at 126 but the turbo didn't start charging until I reached 140... (km/h). So the acceleration at 140km/h was way better than the acceleration just after the shift. A 4-speed would have been incredibly fantastic great.

The important thing isn't really the number of gears, but how well the gearing matches the engine. If you have an engine with a lot of torque over a wide range you can live with fewer gears than if you have an engine with a narrow range where the torque is good.

453747.png

Kthanx

I've driven two '09 LL Beans (once with 300+ lbs of cargo) and the 4 speed works quite well. Again, I don't see the advantage of extra gears beyond spec-racing.

Let's get it straight. The '09 XT gets 19/24.

1 mpg eh? I guess thats better than nothing. Just think what direct injection could do for it.

I've driven two '09 LL Beans (once with 300+ lbs of cargo) and the 4 speed works quite well. Again, I don't see the advantage of extra gears beyond spec-racing.

More shifts, tachs lower uses less fuel in a nut shell. Better than having a really tall 4th gear, because you may still have to tach that engine relatively high to get to 4th. Thats why I prefer more gears.

1 mpg eh? I guess thats better than nothing. Just think what direct injection could do for it.

More shifts, tachs lower uses less fuel in a nut shell. Better than having a really tall 4th gear, because you may still have to tach that engine relatively high to get to 4th. Thats why I prefer more gears.

all i'm saying is the lack of an extra cog hinders performance. not gas mileage. I don't think the CRV, Rogue, Rav4, or Tuscon offer better mpg and most have significantly less power.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest heightsgtltd

Hi SOA rep. Welcome to the site :) How exactly did you already drive an 09 LLBean? ;)

Again and for the last time..I would use sign language if you could see me..

THE 4 SPEED AUTO IS A BAD FIT WITH ANY OF THE TURBOCHARGED 4 CYLINDER ENGINES...NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT NA LEGACYS OR IMPREZAS, AS THEY ARE A BETTER FIT.

THAT BEING SAID, 4-SPEED AUTOS ARE NOT EVEN AVAILABLE IN HYUNDIAS AT THIS POINT!!

By the way, the current Hyundai Santa Fe has a 4 speed automatic mated to its base engine (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/santafe/specs/specs.aspx). You might want to verify your information before you make claims. It might help strengthen your arguments.

You're missing the big issue here though. Its vehicles like the XT or WRX that have 4 speed autos where all of their competitors with comparable power don't.

And Height's is just messin with ya. Don't worry about it. ;)

Guest heightsgtltd

More importantly, in the case of the turbo 4 and the 4speed auto, they are just a bad fit. It would be one thing if they worked well together but they don't.

BTW, that is something that I have empirically tested :spin:

Guest heightsgtltd
Apparently, you're in the same boat. :lol:

:confused:

I unlike you have driven the Forester XT, and the WRX with the 4speed auto.

Have you?

I unlike you OWN a legacy GT with the 5speed auto

Do you?

I have also driven an NA Impreza with the 4speed auto

Archived