LegacyGT.com

Rx330 OEM conversion for Full OEM HID's Write-up

FYI. the denso slim do not disconnect. I found that out the hard way on friday. Rigo had the cut the connector and resolder it. The retro turned out awesom and i need to take pics to post up. The cutoff and color are awesome. Its amazing what the celica lenses can do.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my RX330 projectors... but... I have pretty much had it with condensation building up when the lights get wet... Water is not getting into the headlights, but when ever the headlights are on, and they get wet, fog builds up inside... I have resealed both lights 3 times, removing ALL the old glue (Which is a PITA!!!) and using new glue the Nissan OEM butyl rubber. I have even used the clear sealant around the entire housing, made sure that the vents are clear (I used the vents from a set of 300M headlights I have that have a rubber hose with a small cotton thing inside that breath way better than the caps from OEM) made sure the gasket for the wires is in right, and made sure the dust caps are on tight... It is very annoying! I am almost to the point, of putting the stock headlights back!

Any Ideas? I read on HIDplanet, that the headlights may need additional vents, but I really dont want to drill holes on the bottom and backs of the assembly so dust/dirt can get in.

What should I do :( I don't want to lose my HID!

Try while they are open make sure theres no gaps space stray material in the track of the housing where the two meet. Next since you already have sealed them back once, make sure all the screws are seating, what i normally do is make sure i bake them before resealing them afterwards while they are nice and warm screw them together make sure everything seats nice and tight and rebake them for 5-10 mins to spread the sealent while they are together and then take them out to dry, worst case use belts or straps to hold them tight while the glue drys to make sure theres a tight seal. Last case pop some gel caplets in there to soak up the moisture as last ditch effort, you can find them on HIDPLANETS home page in there store. Good luck a condensation leak can be a pain but once its fixed your good to go.
Mr.350

I have tried the silica gel and they didn't work :(

Like today... I washed my car and tried to replicate the condensation. I turned the headlights on and sprayed the hose at them for a few minutes. Washed the car and when I was done, both headlights had moisture in them > GRRRRRRRRRRRR I wouldn't mind if the headlights came off the car easier! Its a pain having to remove the bumper every time to get them out!

I wish that I could get 100% of the glue off the housing and lens... but that would be impossible without damaging them. I guess that I will order some clear lenses (anyone know where I can get some?) and try it again.

How long does it take for the Butyl rubber to dry and bond? Maybe my problem is that I am not letting it sit long enough?

Any suggestions on how to get most of the glue off the housing/lens? It would also be nicer if there where more screws on the lens to create a more even seal!

Well its a PITA but back each section seperatly and while its piping hot clean it then. I had to do it that way before I got the nitch with the lights back in 05/06 just read through some threads take your time a if you can dedicate a weekend end to get all the old glue out and start fresh.
Mr.350

as many time as i took my headlights apart, without taking all the steps you have taken to replace sealant, i have never had condensation in my headlights, and there were times when i would have my lights out 2-3 times a week...

and it take 10 minutes to remove headlights, not realy a pita once you have done it a few times.

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

^jdm hids are over rated, find another set of headlights and go from there, i also resided in hawaii for a bit, where my car was exposed to daily humidity and rain, and never once did they fog, a lot of people over think the process buts it really quite easy, my process usually means i rebake the lights afteri put them back together to make sure the seal melts to fill any gaps.

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

I always put mine back in the oven with them just lightly pressed together.

Take em out and push them all the way together and screw them together.

Put them back in the oven for 5 minutes or so

Take them out check the screws and clamp them

Let them sit for 30 minutes clamped before I put them back on the car.

i'll probably shoot pics tonight of the setup rigo did. Just have to figure out why my passenger side headlights shuts off. If I completly turn off my headlights and turn them back on, my lights are fine. Then after driving for a while. The passenger side will turn off again. I did melt some plastic on the bulb. :spin:So I'm thinking this may be the problem. Going to replace the bulbs tonight with spares and see what happens.

yup :whore: what Rigo just said if that's the case.

Make sure all the connectors especially the power to the ballast is in all the way. Also make sure the igniters are connected all the way.

igniters? ;)