LegacyGT.com

Rx330 OEM conversion for Full OEM HID's Write-up

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone tried with other projectors?? ive always wondered how come saab projectors change the color of the HID alot... sometimes it would look purple or blue... to white and yellow... wierd...

its all lens...while others may be more colorful otput may be sacrificed so you would need to find a good balance between both...

i have also put rx afs into my housing...which output was better and color was better.

others have done tsx and fx retros just really depeneds

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

I know VXCL did the 5series hellas, then I did them and i dumbed my onto the RX330's trolling HID planet I think? TingTang there are lots of projectors that fit you just have to normally make custom brackets to get them in there and mounted.

^ there was another before me
Mr.350

Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of getting the parts to do this retro conversion as well and I just need some clarification. I lucked out on a set of RX330 projectors on eBay for $50usd.

I wanted to do the same thing MiniStiGuy did with the Philips D2S bulbs and stuff, but the kits I've found are really expensive. I wanted to go the kit route because I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what parts to get (ballast, bulbs, wiring harness, etc). Xenon Expert is having a sale on stuff I saw in the Vendors Classifieds on this forum and their D2S kit is $350 :( They also have something called the Extreme HID kit for $250 (with a Philips 4300k bulb upgrade for free), which is within my budget. Will I regret settling for something that is not D2S? Do I get the H7 bulb? I think I know what I need, but very certain I am uncertain :p Also a question about high beams. Someone posted a picture of the beam of light being altered for low and high by shifting the lens, is this how the Legacy headlights work? So I don't have to worry about highbeam bulbs or those bi-xenon bulbs?

Question about DRL's. People disable their DRL's because they do not want to keep the HID's on all the time, correct? So, as an alternative halo rings like on BMW's or the LED strip lighting on the Audi R8 would be a good idea? I've seen a few mods with the LED strip lighting on these forums, they look pretty good. I also like the halo rings too and I've seen Alberto has a set available but they are like $300 a set lol. This is something I should do when I upgrade to HID's right? Disable DRLs and get alternate DRLs like the LED lights or the halo rings?

I've seen some of the pictures posted here with the ballast mounted directly on the headlight housing, which I'm hoping to accomplish myself.

Thanks for reading.

-MikeH.

Edited by Deku

if your gonna run HID's you HAVE to disable the DRL... if you do not it will damage the ballast when your lights arent on... because the DRL run at a lower voltage.... and thats why with your halogens now, it will get brighter when you actually turn on your headlights as apposed to just having the DRL on...

Deku,

If you plan to do a retro then you would need whatever bulb type is designed for that housing. If you plan on just putting in a kit then the stock legacy holds H7 bulbs. as tingtang stated you will need to disable your DRL if you are a 05-07 vehicle but for the 08+ you do not because they use the highbeams wiring instead of the low's for the DRL. My current ballast are DDM 55w ballast and I use D2s adapters so I can attach them to the D2s bulbs for the Rx330's.

Hey MSG, Are you using 55W D2S bulbs or just 55W ballast with standard phillips/orsram D2S bulbs? I have heard that the D4S bulbs can handle a 55W output but not sure I like the D4S but I think I want a bit more output...
Mr.350

Has anyone tried the MDX projectors? Look very similar to the RX330 non-afs projectors. Just curious if they have similar dimensions.

I'm playing with the idea of modding out the H7 to see what it is capable of. I know it won't be able to achieve the wide output of say a RX330 bowl, but I'd like to sharpen up the cutoff and add some much needed color.

Here are my idea:

Clean lenses

#6 washer color mod

Block off squirrel finder

flat black cutoff shield

Its a noticable difference but I'm not sure by how much. My lights are definently more intense. I'll see if I can't get the bumper off this weekend and do a comparo shot from the 35w to 55w.

+1 for a comparo pic! I got the same setup as you except with 35w... interested to see the difference