LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay Issue now a recall campaign

Opie

This is stated in the first post...

IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY PAID FOR A REPAIR

In the event that you have already paid for repairs associated with this condition, you may be eligible for reimbursement. The actual sum reimbursed will be equivalent to the amount Subaru of America would reimburse an authorized Subaru dealer in your area for replacement of the radiator cooling fan relay and the ECM if applicable.

Please send the original service repair order, which has complete information including the name of the repair facility, date of repair, mileage at the time of repair, complete vehicle identification number (17 digits), and your name, with correct mailing address and telephone number to the address listed below.

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer Dealer Service Department

Attention: Service Program WVB-12

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Please send original receipts only and retain a photocopy for your records. Please be assured that we will attempt to process your reimbursement request as quickly as possible, but may take up to 60 days for this process to be completed.

I saw it but thanks for the heads up. It is just annoying to go through this process after the fact. I just had this conversation with a local dealer two weeks ago and left convinced that I was mislead by thinking this issue should be covered. He said it wasn't a widespread problem...

No big deal, I just wish the timing could have been better for me :icon_bigg

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, if thats the case, i guess i'll just unmarry it just to be safe. i'm going in first thing in the morning, so i'll drive to the dealer early, unmarry there and let them work on it. i'm guessing the cel's won't appear right away...right? what if i don't bring my keys? can they still change out the ECU and reprogram the keys later or do they have to do it all at once?

I was thinking of doing this, but I am worried the CEL would trigger. I do not want to risk them swapping out the ECU without my knowledge.

I wonder how long before the CEL trips for the catless DP?

I was thinking of doing this, but I am worried the CEL would trigger. I do not want to risk them swapping out the ECU without my knowledge.

I wonder how long before the CEL trips for the catless DP?

I believe...that the CEL won't trip for awhile. When you flash, you are reseting all the sensors. The car needs to be driven for awhile for the sensors to gather enough data to accurately report something. I was concerned about this as well.

If you have a CEL thrown that is legitimate and something that is persistant, clearing with the AP will only remove for a period of time before it comes back again (indicating a persistant problem). But the point is, the CEL is initially removed...but then returns. It doesn't return immediately, because the sensors need enough input to register a fault.

My take on this is that the number of cooked ECU's was relatively low. Sounds like there was a bad batch of relays which someone did the math and figured it was better to proactively replace relays than ECU's.

When I talked with the service advisor at my dealership he indicated the number of cooked ECU's he could count on one hand.

Anyway, it is a 12 minute fix if the ECU isn't bad. A bit of time is required to let the engine and coolant to cool sufficiently to test the fan operation (< 196F?)

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I have a question for you accessport users. I unmarried the accessport, took the car in and I need the new relay and ecu. My car is a late 04 build date. Do I have to worry about re-installing my accessport with stage 2 1.16 cobb maps on this new ecu. I am getting conflicting answers from Cobb. One guy told me it would be fine to just install again when I get the new ecu in, the other said I would have to send my accessport back to cobb to heve them update it because of my car's build date. Anyone in a similiar situation? What did you do?

thanks

I have a question for you accessport users. I unmarried the accessport, took the car in and I need the new relay and ecu. My car is a late 04 build date. Do I have to worry about re-installing my accessport with stage 2 1.16 cobb maps on this new ecu. I am getting conflicting answers from Cobb. One guy told me it would be fine to just install again when I get the new ecu in, the other said I would have to send my accessport back to cobb to heve them update it because of my car's build date. Anyone in a similiar situation? What did you do?

thanks

Flash it now, if it breaks tell the dealer you don't know what happened. They'll just assume your ECU was a bad apple and throw another one in. Then get Cobb to get you an updated AP. :)

Of course that could horribly backfire and you would be stuck with a bricked ECU. Worst comes to worst you would have to send your ECU in to Cobb for a bench flash.

Yeah, I would call Cobb again until you get somebody who knows what they are talking about.

i'm back home now, no problems... i didn't unmarry my AP because i knew there was no issue with my ECU... plus i stayed a bit an chitchatted with the service advisor, and she offered me a job as well haha... hmmmm stick with mercedes benz? or subaru...

i'm back home now, no problems... i didn't unmarry my AP because i knew there was no issue with my ECU... plus i stayed a bit an chitchatted with the service advisor, and she offered me a job as well haha... hmmmm stick with mercedes benz? or subaru...

good to hear.

quickest visit to dealer service ever. went in at 7:20. Came out at 7:50. Seemed like it took longer for the service advisor to "close out" the paper work than it did to replace the part. I did not unmarry my AP either.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, what are the chances that a dealer will replace an ECU on a car with "no fans" running? I want to get this taken care of but have precious little free time & don't want to unmarry and remarry if not necessary. Sounds like it's the only way to be sure I won't lose the ECU, aside from telling the dealer NOT to replace it w/o my authorization...

My dealer doesn't stock ECUs, too expensive to keep in inventory. The recall letter says the ECU "may" not be in stock, and a replacement would be ordered for overnight delivery. Check with the Parts shop. They should know if they have one in stock.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, what are the chances that a dealer will replace an ECU on a car with "no fans" running? I want to get this taken care of but have precious little free time & don't want to unmarry and remarry if not necessary. Sounds like it's the only way to be sure I won't lose the ECU, aside from telling the dealer NOT to replace it w/o my authorization...

Start your car when it is cold. If the fans don't stay on (normally they cycle on for about 3-4 seconds, then shutoff), then they will not replace the ECU. Believe me they aren't going to replace an ECU that doesn't exhibit the signs of being damaged (fans come on and STAY ON), they are too expensive and take too long to replace.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

My fan runs constantly, so I know my ECU's fried. I have 48K miles and am beyond the basic warranty. Anyone know if my car will still be covered?

My VIN is in the range.

It is a recall. No time or milage limit.

2005 GT with 52750 miles. Relay replaced waiting for ECU.

Krzys

what are the chances that a dealer will replace an ECU on a car with "no fans" running?

slim and none. bosco

You're an optimist. It depends on how shady the tech and or shop is. In in ideal world, the dealership represents the factory and has its best interests in mind. In our world, the tech gets paid for the hours he punches on (so does Service) and Parts makes markup on what it bills, and replacing the ECM turns the job from one paying 0.2 hours and billing a $0 relay into a job paying 0.5 hours and billing hundreds of dollars in parts.

The factory is a captive customer when there's a recall (or a TSB when still under warranty). The people who determine what work needs to be done have a vested interest in doing more work. Very few people are going to bite the hand that feeds them, but you don't know when someone's going to feel the need to nibble on it a bit. It all depends on the shop and the individual tech.

SLStormin- The only guarantee is to buy the relay yourself. The most effective way to get the recall done without losing your ECM is to have it clearly written on the RO not to replace it without your authorization, and to be there- not necessarily in the bay with the tech, but at the dealership.

The odds are that there won't be an issue, but...

You're an optimist. It depends on how shady the tech and or shop is. In in ideal world, the dealership represents the factory and has its best interests in mind. In our world, the tech gets paid for the hours he punches on (so does Service) and Parts makes markup on what it bills, and replacing the ECM turns the job from one paying 0.2 hours and billing a $0 relay into a job paying 0.5 hours and billing hundreds of dollars in parts.

The factory is a captive customer when there's a recall (or a TSB when still under warranty). The people who determine what work needs to be done have a vested interest in doing more work. Very few people are going to bite the hand that feeds them, but you don't know when someone's going to feel the need to nibble on it a bit. It all depends on the shop and the individual tech.

SLStormin- The only guarantee is to buy the relay yourself. The most effective way to get the recall done without losing your ECM is to have it clearly written on the RO not to replace it without your authorization, and to be there- not necessarily in the bay with the tech, but at the dealership.

The odds are that there won't be an issue, but...

so if i understand you correctly your saying the dealership would/could replace a good ECU to collect money to perform work not needed knowing full well the so called faulty ECU will be sent back to SOA to be tested to find out my they failed? your joking right? bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Why would the factory want to inspect recall parts? The whole point of a recall is that they know there's a problem. Even if SOA treats them like normal warranty parts which they may require sent back, they'd have to require all of them sent back to prevent substitutions. That still wouldn't stop all the crooked shops because anyone with a dud old-style relay can fry ECMs at will before shipping them back.

It all comes back to how shady the tech and/or shop is.

Subaru has had problems with their people being "mod friendly" and is doing what they can to limit it:

we didnt have anything to do with it being denied. On the turbo cars, if the car has a major tranny or engine failure, SOA is wanting pictures to prove that the car is not modded in order to approve the warranty claim. we are just kind of the middle man in those situations. he was mad at us though...we would have loved to fix it under warranty so we would have at least gotten some work from that car other than the breakdown time.

Dealers and factories are partners in some ways and nearly opponents in others. Waranty work is one place where dealers' interests and factories' interests don't coincide. I read an article back in 03 about a Cadillac parts manager who was checking out the EBay scene. He found someone selling new Cadillac parts on EBay for below dealer cost. He looked into it- I think he bought something, then checked the seller's ZIP code and found only one dealer within 20 miles of it. He contacted the factory and the police. There was a lot of warranty work being billed but not performed and that other dealer was getting too greedy by selling the parts twice. They wouldn't have been caught except for that.

Trust can be abused by individuals or in an organized manner. Factories take steps to cut down on it. If I had mods in my ECM that I didn't want to lose, I'd take steps too. Already having a relationship with the Service department would be a good step. Short of that, being on hand and being clear is the best thing you can do. The only guarantee is removing your mods before going in for the recall.

I have to repeat that the odds are that there won't be an issue, but...