LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay Issue now a recall campaign

Opie

^^^ Or that, but the radio station presets were all still there when I got the car back (and I doubt that they re-programed my radio). All I know is that the car is not as smooth as it used to. She will learn, but she's a bit retarded, and will take her a while...

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please clarify a question.

If the ECM is toast, do both fans run all of the time or just the driver's side fan?

My drivers side runs all of the time, but the passenger only runs under loads(e.g. a/c on).

trying to clarify the issue.

thanks.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Thank god I found that, I just started having this same issue 2 days ago with my 2.5xt 5mt. Saved some major brain racking...

My driver side one is running most of the time. Basically when it starts it won't quit running unless you kill the engine and sometimes that won't help either. Sometimes it just comes on by itself or sometimes it takes turning the a/c to get it going. Nevertheless, engine temperature has no effect on the problem.

Pays to get your recall done early folks! Still, it looks like Subaru might have underestimated the number of cars with fried ECUs...lame.

Ayup, lots of folks with multiple bearing failures. had one go last month, going back sometime next week for another one, gonna have them check the remaining two this time around. Grrr...

There's a big thread on the issue: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948

my car's fan is on when i start the car and stays on. i need the recall done.

but 2-3 weeks is a long time.

is it bad to drive it around with toasted relay/ECU?

I do have another car to drive around but i miss the boost already. (just got the car on sunday)

car for sale. PM me!

I do have another car to drive around but i miss the boost already. (just got the car on sunday)

The only part of the ECM that's fried is the fan control circuit. Mine was gone earlier this winter, but I figured a fan motor or two was going to cost a lot less than an ECM. Now that I can have some windows open again, I might have changed my priorities bacause of the noise. Didn't have to because recalls are free!:)

emailed SOA with complaint over them dropping the ball. Dealer called and will have ecm on thursday this week.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

MAN, its about freakin time!!! holy crap.. I had this problem with my car like 2 years ago.. If any of you have an 05 or 06 GT see if you fall under this. I had my car at Subaru 3 times for this crap, my car was probably one of the first ones this happened to cause they (SOA) had no idea what the problem was...

New ECU installed today. Un-married in dealer's lot, flashed new map just after leaving dealer. No problems.

Service manager is mad b/c SOA did not allow time in the warranty for key re-flashing.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Had my car in Wed. and they replaced the relay, said the ECM was still good based on their diagnostic equipment. Now the fan does not run in the AM first thing anymore, but a couple of times has come on after I get off the highway onto back roads on the way to work - temp was like 38 degrees outside & the fan contimued to run for about 6 miles of mellow driving, until I shut it down. I restarted immediately and no fan came on. I may be oversensitive to it now, but I never remembered hearing the fan run on this car before - even in the summertime. Is is possible the ECM is toast even though the dealer says it's OK (of course anything is possible)? In general terms, when should the fan run & for how long, assuming that it's relatively cool out & you're just cruising around? Subie tech guys - any input?

:whore: i got mine done before i even got the recall in the mail :cool:

I printed out thel7.com's copy of the notice and walked into the dealership with it in hand a few weeks ago - the Service Manager had got the notice in the mail the same day, so they hadn't even got the new relays yet :) They took care of it while I waited on Wednesday. The good thing was that my ECU hadn't released its magic smoke yet...

-Ryan

took it in today, toasted ecm. as said, backorder. car has 9k on it and its fried. :rolleyes:

also having them fix a number of small things

Don't believe the backorder story.

My dealer told me it was backordered, it was reported here they were backordered.

New ECM arrived at dealer 3 days later (with their normal ordering process).

Now as I said, 2 emails and a phone call to SOA later....

I basically blamed SOA for promising owners a 24 hour turn around, but the details of the Bulletin state to order the ECM VOR - which is not Overnight - but put it in the letter to owners it would be overnight.

SOA is dropping the ball here more than the local dealers IMHO.

My dealer told me it was backordered, it was reported here they were backordered.

I basically blamed SOA for promising owners a 24 hour turn around, but the details of the Bulletin state to order the ECM VOR - which is not Overnight - but put it in the letter to owners it would be overnight.

I can't really argue with you on this, but...

My service manager told me that it was a good thing that I can in early in the recall, as he is having trouble getting the ECU now due to a backorder.

Don't know, or care, if that's true. I gots mines!!!!!:lol:

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Any recall is a deviation from the SOP of any company.

I would almost be more suspicious of a mfr that handles recalls too perfectly....it tells me that they have too much experience performing them!!

Ron

Good question. I was thinking similar things after I had a boost issue coming home from a track day.

My thoughts are anything that adversely affects the ECU could do unknown damage somewhere else.

i have the relay tsb and my fans do not run all the time. but recently i have been having o2 sensor issues. any chance the fan relay messed up my ecm causing weird readings from my o2's?
You're joking, right?

Backordered doesn't mean that the parts don't exist. It usually means that the referring warehouse has nore orders than inventory. They're trying to get caught up and might refer your order to another warehouse or might sit on your order for a day or so because they know that they have more coming in.

Best case order- the warehouse has it.

Next best case order- a warehouse farther away will ship it.

Best case backorder- "in transit," where the warehouse knows it has some inbound and waits for them.

Next best case backorder- there aren't any in the pipeline, so your order gets referred to a warehouse that has the part.

Next worse case backorder- every warehouse has backorders, but the pipeline can largely keep up with demand (it just can't maintain warehouse inventories).

Worst case backorder- "intergalactic," where every warehouse has backorders and the pipeline is dry.

The word "backorder" covers a lot of ground, and a recall makes for a sudden spike in demand for a part.

VOR isn't an overnight shipping order. Ordering something overnight means that some warehouse has it and you're willing to pay through the nose to get it shipped overnight. VOR means Vehicle Off Road, which is a high priority order for a backordered part. Unless the first part available is going to your local warehouse anyway, it will involve overnight shipping- it just doesn't mean that the part will be in the day after the order is placed. That can't happen when none of the warehouses have it.

To save all that talking, you'll just get told that the part is backordered and you'll get a call when it's in.