LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay Issue now a recall campaign

Opie

Old thread but a good one and very relate to to me. I just called a dealer and they said my VIn is effected. Read the procedure and and according to it my ECU is bad. The dealer said they no longer honor this recall. Ie it would be out of pocket for all repairs.

So, does anyone have advice? The only way my drivers side fan turns off is if I pull both 25 amp fuses. If either fuse is in, the drivers side fan will run when the key is on.

05 OBXT

I have a JDM climate control pod, access port v2, o5 LGT radiator fans. Pretty sure I can’t count the years this has been an issue and predates the climate control pod and AP. Could have been around the time I did a 6 speed swap or the many times I open source tuned my ECU or the MT ECU jumper.

In fact, would it help to flash the ECU back to stock then marry it to the AP again? Could it be the flashing of a MT LGT spec B ROM?

I’m not aware of any reliable aftermarket radiator fan control mechanisms. But it’s been over 10 years since I checked. All in the past led to serious problems. Switches and a relay…

I’m picking up 82501AG120 tomorrow (#2 fan relay). Hoping that’s the new one. Didn’t read super clear to me if it’s the old or the new. Gambling w the part number, and the new relay doing any good. Installed or not installed, my existing one made no difference.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..And it's happening again.

Any harm in not fixing it?

When I go to the gas station, most of the time they'll tell me to turn off my car. Sometimes they'll come at me kind of hostile. Every time I politely say my car is off; it's a radiator fan.

It draws a lot of power when sitting with the key on.

It's annoying; not so relaxing.

---

On another note, with my post above yesterday, on my phone I didn't realize this thread had many pages to it. So I only read the first page.

I have more to learn about the circuit. I'm guessing I'll likely need to find an alternative control method but still utilize factory relays. I took apart the main #1 relay and #2. Tested #1 and got some nice clicks out of it on a spare battery with it's cover removed. Tested the main connection as well.. Then realized you're guaranteed to have #1 good if your fan comes on with the key on.. Took that for me to learn.. Buying a new #2 relay later today, but not hopeful for it to fix anything.

I'll do more research, but it seems like #1 and #2 relays control the 2 fans independently? 1 can be on, then the second when more cooling is needed? Anyway, I just want to be quiet, not draw unnecessary current and not overheat.