LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay Issue now a recall campaign

Opie

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good advice.

I already had my ECM and relay replaced when the TSB was released.

Were you already Protuned when you did this? I'm wondering how to get my maps back on if the dealer puts in a new ECU.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Were you already Protuned when you did this? I'm wondering how to get my maps back on if the dealer puts in a new ECU.

Protuned how? AP? Ecutek?

If via AP, you will have to unmarry your ECU before they replace it or you'll have to pay Cobb $$$$$ to reset your AP.

It's AP. I know I have to unmarry, but I am worried that the dealer will balk when their brand new ECU starts throwing codes at startup:)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

It's AP. I know I have to unmarry, but I am worried that the dealer will balk when their brand new ECU starts throwing codes at startup:)

I know your pain. I've been thinking about this myself. I would like to think I've got a pretty good relationship with my dealer. I think in this case, honesty will be my best policy. When I take it in, I will tell them that I think all it needs is the fan relay (I don't remember at the moment whether or not the fan stays on - IIRC I think it doesn't). IF they diagnose it to need an ECU as well, I want them to let me know BEFORE they pull it. I will tell them that I am not running a stock map and I need to 'reset things' before they replace it. And that I will need to put my map back before I can take it home.

I think I can get away with it because:

- I'm being upfront and honest with them.

- I bring my car in for service there. For everything including oil changes. Quite frankly, you'd have to be asleep at the wheel to not notice 'things have been done to my car' when you put it up in the air to change the oil. Cobb UP/DP, a 2x sized intercooler, pink springs and blue sway bars are kinda hard to miss. Not to mention the 1" drop in ride height. Should be instantly noticable to someone who gets in and out of Subarus all day long.

- At 48k miles, well, I'm past the warranty period anyway.

- In the 4 years I've owned Subarus (my second Subaru, all of them bought/serviced there), I have never made a warranty claim.

Then again, I guess we shall see!

;1029797']If you have an automatic' date=' stop bugging people.[/quote']

Preach it, brother!

Did Subaru send them the wrong ECU or did they order the wrong one, and blame it on Subaru

Recalls are very specific. We're dealing with only one engine/transmission combo here and unless the Limited and Unlimited have different ECUs, I don't see how the dealer could have gotten the part number wrong. Having the wrong part come in the box is really rare, but it happens occasionally. One guy putting the part number sticker on the wrong stack of cardboard boxes can mess up a lot.

Our fan was staying on all the time and the dealer replaced our ECM about a week ago. I guess we'll have to take it in again to have the relay replaced.

When I took it in, I also complained (again) about the jerky acceleration between 2-3k rpm and was told (again) that it was just the turbo spooling and was normal.

Now with the new computer, our wagon feels like a different car. Even my wife was amazed at how much more smoothly it ran, and she didn't think there was ever a problem.

So thanks, Turlock Subaru, for inadvertently fixing a problem that you refused to aknowledge.

Jason

P.S. If you have the computer replaced, be sure to bring all your keys to have them re-programmed.

I know your pain. I've been thinking about this myself. I would like to think I've got a pretty good relationship with my dealer. I think in this case, honesty will be my best policy. When I take it in, I will tell them that I think all it needs is the fan relay (I don't remember at the moment whether or not the fan stays on - IIRC I think it doesn't). IF they diagnose it to need an ECU as well, I want them to let me know BEFORE they pull it. I will tell them that I am not running a stock map and I need to 'reset things' before they replace it. And that I will need to put my map back before I can take it home.

I think I can get away with it because:

- I'm being upfront and honest with them.

- I bring my car in for service there. For everything including oil changes. Quite frankly, you'd have to be asleep at the wheel to not notice 'things have been done to my car' when you put it up in the air to change the oil. Cobb UP/DP, a 2x sized intercooler, pink springs and blue sway bars are kinda hard to miss. Not to mention the 1" drop in ride height. Should be instantly noticable to someone who gets in and out of Subarus all day long.

- At 48k miles, well, I'm past the warranty period anyway.

- In the 4 years I've owned Subarus (my second Subaru, all of them bought/serviced there), I have never made a warranty claim.

Then again, I guess we shall see!

I went that route, though I only have springs, sway bar and cat-back. The guy basically said to me, 'well, as long as it doesn't affect the electrical system that should be fine'. From what I hear, if a different tech saw my car it might be a different story. I just got my ECM and relay fixed this morning. Took them about a week to get parts, then there was this weekend thing, but my appointment was for first thing Monday. Got a call about 11:30 that everything was good to go.

I went that route, though I only have springs, sway bar and cat-back. The guy basically said to me, 'well, as long as it doesn't affect the electrical system that should be fine'. From what I hear, if a different tech saw my car it might be a different story. I just got my ECM and relay fixed this morning. Took them about a week to get parts, then there was this weekend thing, but my appointment was for first thing Monday. Got a call about 11:30 that everything was good to go.

Cool. Glad to hear things worked out for you. You always hear about dealers that give people a hard time. It is nice to hear about a dealer that didn't!

I'm sure that this attitude would vary from dealer to dealer!

I hadn't known that my ECM was blown. Whenever my engine is running I'm in the car, and it's too cold to have the windows open. I checked today and the fan ran on. I checked my VIN, got an appointment for Wednesday, then got home and found my letter from SOA. All very happy.

Coleslaw- it was a TSB long before it was a recall. If they sent you on your way without swapping the relay, then take back everything nice you said about them.

Coleslaw- it was a TSB long before it was a recall. If they sent you on your way without swapping the relay, then take back everything nice you said about them.

this is Coleslaws dealer........link

i had mine done at quirk subaru in quincy, ma. pulled up about 1030 said they had to order the part, come back in an hour. came back took them 5 min to replace. no other problems

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

I dropped it off for the recall this morning and got a call a couple hours later. They have the ECU in stock, but need the programming code from me. The store I bought it from didn't keep it on file, so apparently the only place the code is is on that little metal tag attached to the third key. I haven't seen that key in probably two years. They're calling SOA to seen if they have any record, but generally the dealer has no way to find that code.

WTF, over.

FatCharlie, check your paperwork. Sometimes it will list it. Also check the glove box. In with my manual and paperwork, they've stashed the bag the keys came in. On the bag has a label that includes the info about the keys.

I was supposed to go Monday to get mine done. Had to cancel it because I got into an accident this morning. I slid into a curb. Looks like I mangled the tie rod end (or the end of the rack and pinion), bent the lower control arm, broke the sway bar end link and rashed the rim. Passenger side wheel rubs the wheel well and she won't drive straight. Not good. :(

The kicker is that I drove like 80 miles up to go to training today and decided to turn around and come home (traffic really bad). I slid into the curb turning onto my street (my development hasn't been plowed yet). D'oh! :smacking head: