LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay Issue now a recall campaign

Opie

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I'll be taking all of my keys to the dealer next week. Relay 1, ECU 0 :(

When I told the service manager that I needed to know before they changed the ECU, his reply was very favorable;)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

i got my recall done yesterday. replaced relay, fans weren't running constantly, no to replacing ECU. i also questioned some other things. i found out that when my car was traded in it had aftermarket parts on it. i knew this of course because i've been under the car. the dealer is the one that put it back to stock! i asked about what this does for my warranty, they said no issues. they will warranty anything on the car as long as it's stock. so, with all this said. mod your car, go back to stock for claims. most likely they will cover everything. just be nice, friendly and oblivious.

Just had the fan relay switch replaced last Friday (no ECU replacement). Had the ECU replaced a year or so ago. This past weekend, the fan came on and stayed on all the time until I turned the engine off. It's just like it was when I had the ECU replaced. I guess they replaced it with a bad part. Called the dealer about it this morning and I'm going to bring it in Thursday.

We had ours done last week, and while we didnt notice the fan on all the time - my wife couldnt tell and I couldnt be bothered to check, they replaced our ECU and now the idle is noticably smoother. I was hoping for overall smoother power delivery, but no dice. It's not bad, but it could be better. Of course, compared to the rotary it is about as refined as a grilled cheese next to a filet mignon, but there it is. :)

I just had the relay replaced on lunch break 20-30mins. I did not unmarry the AP from the ECU prior to taking it in for the TSB service. I asked them to let me know if the ECU was also faulty and that I would need to schedule replacement of it at a different time if that was the

Well went to dealer. Had relay replaced after warning the dealer that I had already checked the cooling fan and it does run all the time.

Tech. swapped the relay and said the ECM is OK.....dumbasspartschanger!

Get home. Cool car off. check fan...still running!

Called dealer back. They tell me Subaru cannot overnight the ECM because they are backordered. Any truth to this?

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Well went to dealer. Had relay replaced after warning the dealer that I had already checked the cooling fan and it does run all the time.

Tech. swapped the relay and said the ECM is OK.....dumbasspartschanger!

Get home. Cool car off. check fan...still running!

Called dealer back. They tell me Subaru cannot overnight the ECM because they are backordered. Any truth to this?

heh.. only if they are backordered cuz of this issue.

i got mine replaced. can someone explain how i can test if the fix worked?

heh.. only if they are backordered cuz of this issue.

i got mine replaced. can someone explain how i can test if the fix worked?

post #1 it's all there. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

do all the techs do the same thing?

got my car back from the dealership too and only the relay was replaced. of course my fan is running constantly. called the guy up and said he'll put an order in for the ecm and ask me to call him back next monday. guessing that it is on back order.

my car is stock so i don't mind if they reflash or change it.

well I unmarried this AM before going to the dealer because I had already tested the ECM (on a 34 degree morning so the fan shouldn't have come on when I started the car).

Stock tuning is so slow compared to performance.

Can't wait for new parts and more power!

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

well I unmarried this AM before going to the dealer because I had already tested the ECM (on a 34 degree morning so the fan shouldn't have come on when I started the car).

Stock tuning is so slow compared to performance.

Can't wait for new parts and more power!

no kidding. i feel like im driving my 03 leggy NA right now. im wiating to remarry after i get all my warranty stuff replaced. really need to find my spare keys for the key fob tsb.

I got mine fixed on friday. Got the relay replaced. They also must have reflashed (but not replaced) my ECU (I did not have the fan problem) because now I have the stupid stutter b/w 2500-3000 RPM's. Before my car learned (or something) around this and never made it after the first 4K miles of use.... Now I hope that the ECU "learns" to accelerate w/o the stutter. Darn it.

no kidding. i feel like im driving my 03 leggy NA right now. im wiating to remarry after i get all my warranty stuff replaced. really need to find my spare keys for the key fob tsb.

I wasn't able to get any satisfaction on the key fob thing... I'd like to hear how yours goes. :spin:

They also must have reflashed (but not replaced) my ECU (I did not have the fan problem) because now I have the stupid stutter b/w 2500-3000 RPM's. Before my car learned (or something) around this and never made it after the first 4K miles of use.... Now I hope that the ECU "learns" to accelerate w/o the stutter. Darn it.

Much more likely it is a clearing of stored values, since they should disconnect the battery before replacing the relay. In time the stutter should go away. Same thing happens (obiviously) if your battery dies.