LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay Issue now a recall campaign

Opie

Wait...so replacing the relay is a precaution?

My car is in the VIN range, but I don't have the fan problem whatsoever. Flashed to Stg. 2...which from what I read isn't a problem if the fan isn't running.

So what they'll do is replace the relay, so that it won't short the ECM circuit in the future? It hasn't for a year and a half...likely that it will short it now?

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should get it replaced. As I understand it, once the relay goes, the ECU is in danger. Which means, just cause its been safe for 1.5 years is no indication of its safety for the next 1.5 or more years.

Wait...so replacing the relay is a precaution?

My car is in the VIN range, but I don't have the fan problem whatsoever. Flashed to Stg. 2...which from what I read isn't a problem if the fan isn't running.

So what they'll do is replace the relay, so that it won't short the ECM circuit in the future? It hasn't for a year and a half...likely that it will short it now?

It appears to me that they had a bad run of relays. SOA is replacing the relay and checking to see if the relay caused a problem with the ECU. My guess is that the relay shorts itself out and causes current to be applied to the pin on the ECU that controls the fan relay. That could burn out some of the circuitry in the ECU. If it turns out that the ECU is also damaged (indicated by fans runing all the time- no control of the fans, just on), they will replace the ECU as well.

As others have indicated, just because it hasn't caused a problem yet doesn't mean it won't later. Go and get the relay replaced. No sense in having a $5 part cause damage to a $700 ECU (and still have to replace the $5 part later).

If I got the relay and ECU replaced by the dealer 9 months ago, do I need to go back? Is this a newer relay or exactly what they had 9 months ago? I got the recall notice but does Subaru send this to all owners even when a fix has already been made to an owner's car?

It's not in the glove box- I had all that out of the car early on; I actualy RTFM. They got the code on their own and finished the recall.

Get the new relay, psucaptainkickass. It's a cheap widget that's flawed. Buy it on your own and you won't have to go in for the recall.

Road dog- recalls are forever. You should be getting a letter soon.

drewster- Subaru has to get the recall done. They'll just replace the relay because they're supposed to, not because it needs it at this point.

FC, glad to hear they found the info and got the recall done.

psucaptainkickass, if you do the relay yourself, make sure SOA knows about it so they don't nag you for it. In the past, SOA put a label on my WRX and added it to my service history on MySubaru.

Road_dog, I too am past the basic warranty. SOA still has an obligation to you (and I) to replace it, free of charge.

drewster, it might be a good idea to give them a call before you head in. I would think that being you had it already replaced, you wouldn't need it a second time.

If I got the relay and ECU replaced by the dealer 9 months ago, do I need to go back? Is this a newer relay or exactly what they had 9 months ago? I got the recall notice but does Subaru send this to all owners even when a fix has already been made to an owner's car?

You are covered under the emission systems warranty that runs 8(?) years or so. You should definitely contact the dealer about the part you bought. If they supplied the wrong part then I would think that you'd be covered. I am in the situation where I ordered and bought a new relay that's now sitting at the dealership just before the recall came out. So far, the car is running within spec. so I'm probably going to head the Sube of Schaumburg and see whats up (and pick up my ordered popits and drain plug gaskets).

A recall is a recall irregardless of mileage.

My 4Runner had a recall for new rear suspension bumpers & maybe springs. Brought the 4Runner in with 130,000 miles and they changed everything out without any questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Mike

If you have electronic mods, I wouldn't go for the recall. Yes, Subaru owes you the recall, but if you've replaced the relay and don't need it then keeping your mods away from them might be useful if something else goes wrong. It's a free ECU, something pretty good to have up your sleeve if you're playing with your ECU.

I don't have any mods yet but I just spent $100 after warranty 2 weeks ago to have this fixed, after trying to make a case that this should be covered by SOA since it is a common problem. That really annoys me. :icon_mad:

I don't have any mods yet but I just spent $100 after warranty 2 weeks ago to have this fixed, after trying to make a case that this should be covered by SOA since it is a common problem. That really annoys me. :icon_mad:

This is stated in the first post...

IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY PAID FOR A REPAIR

In the event that you have already paid for repairs associated with this condition, you may be eligible for reimbursement. The actual sum reimbursed will be equivalent to the amount Subaru of America would reimburse an authorized Subaru dealer in your area for replacement of the radiator cooling fan relay and the ECM if applicable.

Please send the original service repair order, which has complete information including the name of the repair facility, date of repair, mileage at the time of repair, complete vehicle identification number (17 digits), and your name, with correct mailing address and telephone number to the address listed below.

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer Dealer Service Department

Attention: Service Program WVB-12

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Please send original receipts only and retain a photocopy for your records. Please be assured that we will attempt to process your reimbursement request as quickly as possible, but may take up to 60 days for this process to be completed.

Yeah I am just going to take it in. AP in my backpack just in case

..if they have to swap out the ecu, I'll tell them I will bring it back (they probably won't have ecus in stock anyways)

I got my appointment on monday and thats what i'm planning on. i just flashed stg II last saturday. my fans not running constantly, so it should just be a relay swap. but IF they tell me they need to change the ECU, i'll just tell them i'll bring it back after unmarrying it.

If they have the ECU on hand, they'll just swap it out without calling you. The relay pays 0.2 and the ECU only adds 0.3 to to the job (including programming the keys). It's not worth their time to get in touch with you halfway through the job just to have to go through it twice.

well, if thats the case, i guess i'll just unmarry it just to be safe. i'm going in first thing in the morning, so i'll drive to the dealer early, unmarry there and let them work on it. i'm guessing the cel's won't appear right away...right? what if i don't bring my keys? can they still change out the ECU and reprogram the keys later or do they have to do it all at once?

So what would be the procedure for flashed ECU's prior to returning the car to the dealer for recall service ... flash the ECU back to stock or just unmarrying the AP?

you go in they hook-up a meter on your diagnostic port they read the engine temp only, if it is below 196 degrees and the fans are NOT running the ECM is ok and just the fan relay gets replaced. 10 minutes to replace. if the fans are running then you need a ECM which they order as needed. if it still bothers you take your AP with you. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

you go in they hook-up a meter on your diagnostic port they read the engine temp only, if it is below 196 degrees and the fans are NOT running the ECM is ok and just the fan relay gets replaced. 10 minutes to replace. if the fans are running then you need a ECM which they order as needed. if it still bothers you take your AP with you. bosco

yeah, thats what i was thinking.

Yeah I just unmarried it in the dealer lot, like msb suggested. I did that on the off chance that they had ECUs in stock and didn't call me before the swap out. My fan circuit is fine and the fan isn't constantly on, so this is a precaution more than anything.

VtspecB...you would need to unmarry the AP from the ECU. Reason being, the AP can only be hooked up to one ECU at a time. Unmarrying it isn't to get the car past the dealer, its to make sure that you can still use your AP if the dealer changes out the ECU.

Anyways...its at the dealer now...and they are going to look into my squeaky clutch pedal as well...finally... (I rarely go to the dealer :))