LegacyGT.com

Dash Rattle TSB released!

bskey

I have a 2008 and it has the dash rattle. Its intermediate but goes away with a little pressue on the dash. I'm debating whether its worth taking in for...

Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear.

You will take it in.... It WILL get annoying trust me. It gets worse.

To fix it they have to remove the entire dash. It helps for while but mine came back, though not as bad. Try stuffinga small rubber bumper (like what is used on kitchen cabinet doors to stop them from banging). Works great if you dont' get tired of the look.

This is one of the small small things Subie needs to fix to compete with say... Acrua... :)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have the dash rattle on my 06 & it has become unbearable on freeway expansion joints so South Coast Subaru in Costa Mesa is pulling the dash next week to perform the TSB. Will keep everyone posted on the fix. Just in the past month my car has developed rattles in the dash ( above the nav unit by the windshield), right b pillar seatbelt height adjuster loose and buzzes over anything but smooth pavement, drivers seat creaks & moans when my weight shifts around corners & I am only 5"10" and 160lbs so I think it's loose on the track or something. Also have an intermitent rattle somewhere on the right rear near the decklid. I fixed the rattle on / in my glovebox 2 sided velcro type tape.

I really am trying to still love this car at this point. mechanically it seems to be holding up well 28k miles thus far but the body hardware workmanship & assembly woes are inexcusable in this price class( $31K 2006 GT Ltd 5EAT w/ Nav). I have a brand new Impreza i base model as a service loaner which I believe is based on the Legacy platform & the car feels rock solid compared to my car. The Impreza is also built in Japan. Go figure.

my '06 SE wagon has a pretty good dash rattle

First I was wondering if the TSB covers an '06 SE wagon

and secondly, I was wondering what exactly does "TSB" stand for?

I'll open myself up to ridicule so here's my guess: Technical Something Bulletin

:redface:

my '06 SE wagon has a pretty good dash rattle

First I was wondering if the TSB covers an '06 SE wagon

and secondly, I was wondering what exactly does "TSB" stand for?

I'll open myself up to ridicule so here's my guess: Technical Something Bulletin

:redface:

Technical Service Bulletin

I thought I had developed the dash rattle...I was getting a very annoying buzzing/vibration noise that I thought was from the center vent/stereo area...turns out it was the Cruise Control button! Follwed these instructions and the noise is gone!

http://www.thel7.com/TSB/15-114-05.pdf

P.S. The repair can be done without removing the steering wheel if you have small Philips screwdrivers. :)

I went in to see if I could get the dash rattle taken care of. It's just my luck that the service writer I get was the retard of the group. I told them that I had a few thing that I want done one of which was an oil change and a few TSB's and a new head light bulb, cuz I had a burnt out one which should have been under warranty. I bought my car like 3 months ago used with only 27K on it. It a 2005 GT. So I figured it would be covered. So before I listed off the TSB's that I wanted done, she tells me as if to dodge work and get out off doing them, that they will only fix it if I can show/prove it's a problem (the way she said it was in a snotty tone). I told her I could that why I want them fixed. She then says that I have to take a tech for a ride to prove to him that they are a problem. I said that's fine. Again seeming as though that they didn't want to do the work she went to the computer and said my car was out of warranty so they couldn't do those things for me. The warranty ended in Sept of 2007. Can this be true, that were the MY05 were out in Sept of 2004, and that my car was one of the first ones or what it her last ditch shot of getting out of pain stakingly long/hard warranty work. Does this sound right I know a lot of people say that most dealers don't like to take car of the TSB espically the dash rattle. I was just surprised to find out I was already out of warranty. Is there any where I can check the sale date of my car by it's vin to see if thats the truth.

I went in to see if I could get the dash rattle taken care of. It's just my luck that the service writer I get was the retard of the group. I told them that I had a few thing that I want done one of which was an oil change and a few TSB's and a new head light bulb, cuz I had a burnt out one which should have been under warranty. I bought my car like 3 months ago used with only 27K on it. It a 2005 GT. So I figured it would be covered. So before I listed off the TSB's that I wanted done, she tells me as if to dodge work and get out off doing them, that they will only fix it if I can show/prove it's a problem. I told her I could that why I want them fixed. She then says that I have to take a tech for a ride to prove to him that they are a problem. I said that's fine. Again seeming as though that they didn't want to do the work she went to the computer and said my car was out of warranty so they couldn't do those things for me. The warranty ended in Sept of 2007. Can this be true, that were the MY05 were out in Sept of 2004, and that my car was one of the first ones or what it her last ditch shot of getting out of pain stakingly long/hard warranty work. Does this sound right I know a lot of people say that most dealers don't like to take car of the TSB espically the dash rattle. I was just surprised to find out I was already out of warranty. Is there any where I can check the sale date of my car by it's vin to see if thats the truth.

nice lump of text. :lol:

Here, I fixed this for you.

-- Steve

I agree with you. The rattle is the most annoying thing in this car. It's may stop me from getting a new spec B. There really is no excuse to the fit and finish in this car. I am reminded of that everytime I ride in my friends 08 TL. Amazing difference in build and materials.

Just out of curiosity which dealer did you take your car to?

I think the '05's showed up at the dealer lot around July/Aug of '04. So I guess it's possible that yours were sold in Sept. You can always call up another dealer and have them look up your warranty info.

I agree with you. The rattle is the most annoying thing in this car. It's may stop me from getting a new spec B. There really is no excuse to the fit and finish in this car. I am reminded of that everytime I ride in my friends 08 TL. Amazing difference in build and materials.

Meh, my boss bought an 05 TL about the same time I bought the Legacy. It was in a bunch of times for fit-and-finish issues, including stitching coming out of the rear seat and a 1/4" gap on one side of the glove box. At least the Acura service departments around here are nice and don't insult your intelligence like the Subaru dealers do.

-- Steve

hey Gt subie. I had the same issue and I took some 3/4" backer rod and shoved 2 pieces about a foot long from the pillar toward the center of the car.

After that not a peep from the dash cost to fix 2 bucks and about 1 minute.

My dealer flat out said the tsb fix will make it worse and add additional squeeks.

Once you un seat the dash you open up a whole can of worms.

Sign up another 05 LGT with the rattle issue coming from where the windshield meets with the dashboard on the driver's side. First showed it's signs at about 40k miles. I have about 2 miles of gravel road leading up to my house, that's where I hear it. 95% of the times it's not there, but on some mornings it just mysteriosly starts doing it. Don't think the cold is such a big factor, I've driven plenty of days on sub 20*F without a peep and just 3 days ago when I last heard it it was 46 degrees outside.

If I apply pressure on the dash right above the gauges, it goes away. I tried sliding a plastic ruler inside to "feel" around and shove shit that rattles, but to no avail. Can anyone that has performed this fix tell what is it exactly that starts rattling? Any guides anywhere on this board on how to take the dash off? I am like just about everyone here: my interior is in pristine condition and I don't trust dealers.

hey Gt subie. I had the same issue and I took some 3/4" backer rod and shoved 2 pieces about a foot long from the pillar toward the center of the car.

My dealer flat out said the tsb fix will make it worse and add additional squeeks.

Thanks.

I was worried about them pulling the dash for that same reason.

Denial is your best friend

Just out of curiosity which dealer did you take your car to?

I think the '05's showed up at the dealer lot around July/Aug of '04. So I guess it's possible that yours were sold in Sept. You can always call up another dealer and have them look up your warranty info.

Go Subaru West... That's what I was planning on doing just to see.

I am getting a rattle/squeak next to the vent on the driverside dash closer to the window would this be similar to this TSB?

Same problem here.

What's a 3/4" backer rod?

I read through the TSB and I believe their solution to the rattle is to remove the "catch" on some of the anchors. Which makes me wonder wouldn't that just make the rattle worst...

Archived