LegacyGT.com

Dash Rattle TSB released!

bskey

Same problem here.

What's a 3/4" backer rod?

I read through the TSB and I believe their solution to the rattle is to remove the "catch" on some of the anchors. Which makes me wonder wouldn't that just make the rattle worst...

http://www.bestmaterials.com/Backer_Rod.aspx?source=adwords&gclid=CIG0kMLO55ACFRcesgod0kOOXA

Backer rod isn't what you would think:lol:

Denial is your best friend

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After posting my question I also read through the TSB and thought WTF? THAT is what they call a fix? That's not a fix, it's a band-aid approach to the underlying problem.

So what are we to do? My rattle just came back today. Ugh.

What the shit IS rattling in there? when I was fiddling with my aformentioned plastic ruler in the opening between the dash and window, I couldn't seem to "catch" anything and make the rattle go away. Yet, if I hold onto the dashboard and apply pressure either away or into the windshield, it seems to go away. As I was writing this it occured what may be. It fixes it because it forces the dash to sit at a slight angle, which pinches the "core" or whatever rattles. Would that be it?

thanks to the person posting the detailed backer rod photos.

i actually put 2 pieces in and the are pushed far enough down they are hard to see.

the even make a gark gray color to almost match the dash. It really works and saves the hasstle of removing your dash.

thanks to the person posting the detailed backer rod photos.

i actually put 2 pieces in and the are pushed far enough down they are hard to see.

the even make a gark gray color to almost match the dash. It really works and saves the hasstle of removing your dash.

Is that something you can pick up at a local auto store or home depot? Hate to pay shipping on 2 $0.20 pieces.

Has anyone whose car is out of warranty tried to remove and fix the dash themselves. If so how did it go. I have never taken the dash out on a suby but I have on a few other cars it really wasn't all that hard. Just figured that maybe I could do a better job then the dealer, since some of you guys said it came back worse then before. I just read/looked at all the steps of the TSB looks fairly simple maybe a bit time consuming. I was thinking that if I did SOA fix and maybe added some extra steps with something similar to the backer rod around the edge of the dash I could get rid of the rattle completely. Any thoughts on this. If I do do this it will probably be in the summer/spring.

• 2 weeks later...
hey Gt subie. I had the same issue and I took some 3/4" backer rod and shoved 2 pieces about a foot long from the pillar toward the center of the car.

After that not a peep from the dash cost to fix 2 bucks and about 1 minute.

My dealer flat out said the tsb fix will make it worse and add additional squeeks.

Once you un seat the dash you open up a whole can of worms.

I may have missed this, but do you have pics of your install? Some sort of "walkthrough" perhaps?

Have the dash rattle on my 06 & it has become unbearable on freeway expansion joints so South Coast Subaru in Costa Mesa is pulling the dash next week to perform the TSB. Will keep everyone posted on the fix. Just in the past month my car has developed rattles in the dash ( above the nav unit by the windshield), right b pillar seatbelt height adjuster loose and buzzes over anything but smooth pavement, drivers seat creaks & moans when my weight shifts around corners & I am only 5"10" and 160lbs so I think it's loose on the track or something. Also have an intermitent rattle somewhere on the right rear near the decklid. I fixed the rattle on / in my glovebox 2 sided velcro type tape.

I really am trying to still love this car at this point. mechanically it seems to be holding up well 28k miles thus far but the body hardware workmanship & assembly woes are inexcusable in this price class( $31K 2006 GT Ltd 5EAT w/ Nav). I have a brand new Impreza i base model as a service loaner which I believe is based on the Legacy platform & the car feels rock solid compared to my car. The Impreza is also built in Japan. Go figure.

Update on all warranty work?

bump this. whats the best way to get the dealer to fix a tsb on your car. What if they try the old cannot duplicate problem on you.

I told my dealer about it and they said they looked at the dash clips and they were broken. I am not sure how you can see the clips without taking the dash off but maybe you can.

They then said they ordered new clips (I don't think they were improved, just new). I called back and made an appointment and talked to someone else. I said I have parts to fix my dashboard rattle. The woman then said that would take all day and scheduled it. So I think my dealer has been fixing lots of them if the appointment person knew what it was without me giving her info...:)

By the way, the dash again rattles a year later. Although now it only does it for a very short time when the car is cold. After about 5 minutes of "warming up" it totally stops. I can live with that. Before the fix it would rattle all the time....

I told my dealer about it and they said they looked at the dash clips and they were broken. I am not sure how you can see the clips without taking the dash off but maybe you can.

They then said they ordered new clips (I don't think they were improved, just new). I called back and made an appointment and talked to someone else. I said I have parts to fix my dashboard rattle. The woman then said that would take all day and scheduled it. So I think my dealer has been fixing lots of them if the appointment person knew what it was without me giving her info...:)

By the way, the dash again rattles a year later. Although now it only does it for a very short time when the car is cold. After about 5 minutes of "warming up" it totally stops. I can live with that. Before the fix it would rattle all the time....

And I assume this is when you're driving, and not idling, correct? I've noticed mine on the left corner of the dash when going over uneven road surfaces, bad stretches of freeway, etc.

And I assume this is when you're driving, and not idling, correct? I've noticed mine on the left corner of the dash when going over uneven road surfaces, bad stretches of freeway, etc.

Yes when the car is moving over uneven pavement.

They never called me today, assuming it's not done yet. I am also having issues with the seat heater, they are looking at it.

What kinds of issues? I ask because sometimes I think mine gets too hot, scorching hot, on the lowest setting when it starts up for a few minutes, then "settles down". That normal?

Archived