LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

cool. i'm glad is worked out for you. i ordered the USDM spec B front top mounts which are a different part number than what you posted. are you sure you didn't use 20320AG000? i don't see how they could have two different bilstein style mounts in the US.

you said you reused the stock perches, do you mean the stock spring seats (underneath the mounts)? i'm trying to make sure i have everything that i need to pre-assemble everything prior to removing the stock setup. this is what I ordered in addition to the struts/springs:

20320AG000 - Front Strut Mount - $47.50/ea

20323AG000 - Front Spring Seat - $9.75/ea

20370AG000 - Rear Strut Mount - $26.00/ea

20375AE000 - Rear Rubber Spring Seat - $10.50/ea

Don't forget the bumpstops.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
exactly. bosco used the 07 spec b front mounts which is the first #. the second is for the 06. i can't imagine they changed that much...

all i will say is the ones i have seem to be working no issues with install or in use. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Don't forget the bumpstops.

I do not think you need to use bumpstops. Bilsteins are inverted and the shafts are much beefier than USDM stock strut shafts. Also, in the STi Pinks manual, there are no bumpstops in the diagram for the install.

Please do. I personally think that the 130mm travel number that is being bandied about for the JDM Bilsteins is without the bumpstop. Since the Bilstein HD's are being measured with the bumpstop installed, obviously they will show less travel. If you think about it 20mm is about what the bumpstop probably measures. I really doubt that there is any difference between the OEM Bisteins and the aftermarket Bilstein HD's.

one more thing why i think there is an internal bump stop is b/c when i compressed the rears the shaft went all the way to the bottom (only the threads showing) of the shock body, no problem. when i did the front struts the shaft would only go until appox. 1/2" from the top of the strut body (still had more than a 1/2" of the shaft showing) and then i felt a resistance that felt like rubber and with more force the strut compressed at least another 1/2". if you use my measurements that means the Bilstein HD have apopx. 4 7/8" or 124mm which is close enough for government work. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I do not think you need to use bumpstops. Bilsteins are inverted and the shafts are much beefier than USDM stock strut shafts. Also, in the STi Pinks manual, there are no bumpstops in the diagram for the install.

My bad....good to know. Thanks for the info.

bosco,

Is there a spacer/washer between the front tophats and spring seat? The USDM Legacy parts manual has it but the STi Pinks manual does not. I assume that spacer is specifically for USDM top hats.

washer not needed on this install. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

That is 100% incorrect. Inverted struts have a bumpstop integrated in the lower part of the housing. All struts and shocks need a bumpstop. You WILL encounter bumps large enough to push the strut to the limits of its travel and without a bumpstop, you will destroy the shock.

Modern suspensions all use their bumpstops to more gently reach the end of their travel. It's not like in the old days when bumpstops were rock hard and just stopped catastrophic overexcursion. Unless you drive only on billiard table smooth surfaces all the time you have been at least partially compressing the bumpstops on a daily basis.

one more thing why i think there is an internal bump stop is b/c when i compressed the rears the shaft went all the way to the bottom (only the threads showing) of the shock body, no problem. when i did the front struts the shaft would only go until appox. 1/2" from the top of the strut body (still had more than a 1/2" of the shaft showing) and then i felt a resistance that felt like rubber and with more force the strut compressed at least another 1/2". if you use my measurements that means the Bilstein HD have apopx. 4 7/8" or 124mm which is close enough for government work. :lol: bosco

That is correct. Inverted struts all have a bumpstop that is hidden from view inside the lower part of the strut.

What I was saying earlier is that the 130mm stroke length of the JDM Bilsteins is likely without accounting for the bumpstop. Obviously if someone measures the stroke length of a strut with a bumpstop installed, the measurement will be lower. I HIGHLY doubt that aside from minor valving differences that the JDM Bilsteins are physically different than the aftermarket Bilstein HD's.

Please do. I personally think that the 130mm travel number that is being bandied about for the JDM Bilsteins is without the bumpstop. Since the Bilstein HD's are being measured with the bumpstop installed, obviously they will show less travel. If you think about it 20mm is about what the bumpstop probably measures. I really doubt that there is any difference between the OEM Bisteins and the aftermarket Bilstein HD's.

I just measured JDM GT (Rev.A) front strut - 130 mm of free travel. NO BUMP STOP or anything. Bilsteins fronts are inverted strut so the "bump stop" is built-in. Anyway I measured the travel without pressing very hard on the strut - simply until the point where it meets resistance.

So - 130 mm for both JDM GT and JDM SpecB.

I don't know how bosco is measuring the HDs but if indeed they have 111 mm - or 108 mm as the allshocks representative stated based on Bilstein data (link here), then indeed I think they are not best suited for lowering springs. ~20 mm is a significant difference, I think.

If that's the case it's a pity and I don't understand why Bilstein would do that, except maybe because they offer (at least in Australia) a "more performance" variant of they struts - "B8 Sprint" that is designed for lowering springs - perhaps that makes sense, that they advertise the "HD" (which appears to be equivalent of "B6 Sport") as stock replacement - i.e. not best for lowering springs. By the way, I noticed that in Japan Bilstein sells "BTS kit" which is set of struts with some springs (lowering 15mm) for about $1550 - this is probably the equivalent of Australian B8 Sprint, not sure though. Clearly, Bilstein likes to confuse ppl by offering same products under different names.

Yup, this should clearify the :iam:

try rereading post 39 and 55. i stated all measurements in both inches/metric and the process of how i came to these numbers. there is no mystery the only mystery here is why you can't comprehend this. btw if the measurements happen to be off by a 1/16" or 1.5875mm whoop-dee-fvck'n-do. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Hmm, perhaps someone is upset over their impending loss of income when used japense parts will nolonger command a premium. Eh, whatever. Excuse me while I add myself to my ignore list. I just wanted everyone to know I was going to do that. It heightens the drama. :lol:
ignore him, he'll go away.

Hmm, perhaps someone is upset over their impending loss of income when used japense parts will nolonger command a premium. Eh, whatever. Excuse me while I add myself to my ignore list. I just wanted everyone to know I was going to do that. It heightens the drama. :lol:

Income? :lol: :lol: Thank you, my source of income has nothing to do with this board and/or cars and the JDM suspension stuff is just a hobby. Not upset at all.

If these are verified to have JDM Bilstien like shock travel (waiting for Waxiboy's report) AND the damping characteristics is comparable to JDM GT I'd be first to say it makes no sense (unless price is exceptionally good) to buy a used JDM GT over the HDs. JDM SpecB might be a different story, due to much more sporty damping if that's what one is after.

im sticking with used japanese parts that i know work for the long haul. though i do appreciate those who have taken it upon themselves to explore this alternate option by deciphering bilstien lingo and inadequate information regarding proper application of the struts and required components.

but thats just me and my humble opinion. good enough for jdm, good enough for me.

im sticking with used japanese parts that i know work for the long haul. though i do appreciate those who have taken it upon themselves to explore this alternate option by deciphering bilstien lingo and inadequate information regarding proper application of the struts and required components.

but thats just me and my humble opinion. good enough for jdm, good enough for me.

Yeah. At least it's known that OEM JDM Bilsteins are good to go with Pinks (15mm drop).

Bilstiens HDs appear to be the same as Bilstein B6 (same part numbers) and according to Bilstein:

Bilstein B6 Sports

http://www2.bilstein.de/en/produkte/bilder/b6.jpg

The shock absorber for those drivers who prefer a sports suspension but are not particularly interested in lowering the body. Also available in special design complete with reservoir for off-road vehicles.

Improved Control

For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it. The theme of the discussion here is the sports suspension. The BILSTEIN B6 Sports shock absorber is the ideal solution for drivers revelling in the understatement . The wolf in sheep's clothing snarls, when necessary, but otherwise goes reliably about its work in daily traffic with no lowering of the body whatsoever.

LINK: http://www2.bilstein.de/en/produkte/tuning.php3#6

I don't know how bosco is measuring the HDs but if indeed they have 111 mm - or 108 mm as the allshocks representative stated based on Bilstein data (link here), then indeed I think they are not best suited for lowering springs. ~20 mm is a significant difference, I think.

link:

"There is a total available travel of 108mm...not very much. That having been discovered, I wouldn't recommend using these with any springs that lower the car more than 1"

Pinks lower 15mm. Less than an inch...should be ok.:confused:

btw....bosco's looked a bit lower then a 15mm drop.

Guys calm down.

My original statement with :iam: is whether or not the HD strut travel of 108mm is not enough to cover the travel of the arms. I do not know if there is a front bump stop for the arms (haven't checked yet). It is not as simple as measuring the up-down travel of the arm because caster, strut/shock angle, relative strut mount (upper and lower) also comes into play.

Bilstein is a big company (and they already make struts for JDM cars) so I doubt that they made the HD without taking into account the above.

bosco's car is being compared to H-techs. I am coming from a completely stock set-up so we'll see how much the drop is to validate the 15mm on the pinks.

Now only if my springs would come in. I still have 1-2 weeks worth of wait :(

Archived