LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

lets get this thread back on track.

My pinks are arriving tomorrow. i already have the shocks, spring seats and mounts. when i go to assemble everything, is there any direction to the spring seats and mounts? I can't really tell by looking at them. I just want to make sure everything bolts up when i go to throw them on.

thanks....

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lets get this thread back on track.

My pinks are arriving tomorrow. i already have the shocks, spring seats and mounts. when i go to assemble everything, is there any direction to the spring seats and mounts? I can't really tell by looking at them. I just want to make sure everything bolts up when i go to throw them on.

thanks....

For the front, the 2 small holes in the upper spring seat should be facing out.

For the rear, I was quite anal about it and made sure the STi logo on the springs face out :D I also aligned the upper edge of the spring against the notch on the rubber seat so it does not get pinched

at 1000 may as well go for coilovers...

You have a point. I think there are some available for around $1000, but I don't know how good they are. Other coilovers seem to be pretty pricey.

Anyway, I just scored a set of nearly new JDM Spec b Rev A struts 'n' springs, fully assembled, from unclemat, for a very decent price. I don't want to lower the car much, and the Spec b springs are the same rates as Pinks (according to what I understand) so I am just going to pop em in as they are. In a sense, these are basically coilovers.

It's kind of cold and I have a hell of a lot of work right now, so I probably won't get to it until another week or so. Can't wait!

Unclemat is the resident Bilstein guru, he has been quite helpful, cause otherwise I would be guessing. Basically I didn't know crap until I found this site!

For the front, the 2 small holes in the upper spring seat should be facing out.

For the rear, I was quite anal about it and made sure the STi logo on the springs face out :D I also aligned the upper edge of the spring against the notch on the rubber seat so it does not get pinched

For the fronts you can spin the mount to get the top mount bolts to line up with the chassis. but in the back it looks as though you have to line up the top mount bolts with respect to the bottom of the strut while your assembling them. because you can't spin the top mount after you tighten the strut top. or is there something that i am missing?

For the fronts you can spin the mount to get the top mount bolts to line up with the chassis.

If you look closely, the lower spring perch is offset against the strut (actual shock body). So when you install the upper seat, the offset orientation should be the same as the lower perch. This can be confimed with the 2 holes pointing out. The top hats will spin to mount to the chassis but if you get the upper seat wrong, 'yer screwed.

but in the back it looks as though you have to line up the top mount bolts with respect to the bottom of the strut while your assembling them. because you can't spin the top mount after you tighten the strut top. or is there something that i am missing?

Actually the rear can be rotated since the lower spring perch can slide around the shock body without load.

I believe sedan AT pinks are ST2033021000 (F) and ST2038021000 ®

But would the Shocks be the same? So different Springs and different top hats, spring seat, dust cap but same Bilstein HD shocks for 05 LGT AT Sedan?

Also did I just see that Rallispec raised the price of their pinks?

i recommend rallispec as well. I waited over 8 weeks for my order through gruppe-s to arrive. Good thing i checked the part numbers, they sent me sedan springs from two different models: BL GT-B front springs and BL GT rear springs. i called rallispec this morning. rallispec uses air mail from japan so they get stuff in about 3 weeks instead of 8.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to resurrect this thread 'cuz I came up with a different measurement. Fully compressed at 5.108" or +129 MM. See pics below. Refer to the outline at top of rod. First pic is full view and the second is an edited pic with a red arrow pointing at the 5.108".

Bilstein Front.jpg try to look for the outline at the +5"

Bilstein HD.jpg

15302363_BilsteinFront.thumb.jpg.424d0757a7954c5c9b17553df49842c2.jpg

230903542_BilsteinHD.thumb.jpg.87af1d742357f042b98504a77ea75495.jpg

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

For the record, the HDs are out of stock at both Tire Rack and http://www.allshocks.com. Tire rack told me they expect them in August. I cancelled my order.

Anyone know if they are available anywhere else?

shox.com

you'll need to call them. their price was better than both the two you have mentioned...i think i recall $463 plus shipping. (they honored the 5% off Bilsteins listed on the web site even though our fitment isn't listed)

Thanks HGT - done - but no 5% discount and at $534 shipped, they were about $6 more than Tire Rack. But, at least they have them and I will too...on Friday.

BTW - I checked their site before I posted and the HDs are not listed for our car - but calling did the trick.

And since you are so good at this - where's the best price on the USDM Spec B tophats? I ordered and cancelled them from FastWRX.com ($131 shipped) and need to order them again now.

Thanks again.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I just want to resurrect this thread 'cuz I came up with a different measurement. Fully compressed at 5.108" or +129 MM. See pics below. Refer to the outline at top of rod. First pic is full view and the second is an edited pic with a red arrow pointing at the 5.108".

Bilstein Front.jpg try to look for the outline at the +5"

Bilstein HD.jpg

Interesting...so JDM Bilstein have the same travel as HDs then???

I am confirming that the Bilstein HD front has a travel length of 5.1875 inches or 131.7625MM. This was done with two people pushing the shaft after the initial point of resistance which is probably the internal bumpstop. See pic below....

IMG_0003.thumb.jpg.c8edda8d663c418343dde4c8a4402094.jpg

Interesting...so JDM Bilstein have the same travel as HDs then???

I believe it is the case. That's probably why you have not bottomed out yet. Or have you? The rears are pretty much the same so I did not bother taking pictures. I think we will be okay with the pinks.:)

they're readily available from any US subaru dealer. there's probably not many places that stock them, but it should only take a few days to a week for most dealers to get them. i got them for $47.50 each through Jackie @ Annapolis subaru. She's very active over on nabisco:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177114

I got 'em from subaruparts.com $47.25 ea. for the fronts & $26.29 ea. for the rears.

Always always always measure from the center of your hub up to your wheel well. These to points never change and it is straight up and down. Tire size, tire pressure, drive way angle or street angle can greatly change your measurements.

Good write up Bosco

Scott

Archived