LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
less dampening?

I would not say so. I took a ride in unclemat's wagon (JDM SpecB+Pink) and I think the ride is very similar. I even drove over a small pot hole and the car felt the same when unclemat went over a pot hole. This really made me smile and I even said to myself: "That is how the pothole felt in unclemat's car! :D"

I would not say so. I took a ride in unclemat's wagon (JDM SpecB+Pink) and I think the ride is very similar. I even drove over a small pot hole and the car felt the same when unclemat went over a pot hole. This really made me smile and I even said to myself: "That is how the pothole felt in unclemat's car! :D"

Nice! I liked how unclemat's wagon rode with that set up also. Damn, I think i'm in on this thing. Now to find some used Pinks...or buy JDM front iONs.

Just wondering with these HD's... stuts in general actually... Aren't the critical measurements between the attachment points, both fully compressed and fully extended? Stroke alone does not tell you enough I think. The HD strut might have the same compressed length as the JDM, so then it wouldn't bottom out any more than the JDM would. However if this was true, the HD would have 22 mm less rebound. I would think rebound is less important since the force in the system goes down. If the rebound velocity of the suspension is fully damped out before the strut hits its extension stop than force should be zero and no problem. But what do I know.

Anyone have these measurements?

Also I read in an old thread somewhere that HD is 20% stiffer than the USDM spec b Billstein. And one of our Liberty driving friends from Down Under reported that the B6 was stiff as hell. And the US HD part numbers seem to correspond with the global B6 part numbers... sort of...

It would be great if someone could put this matter to bed once and for all. The HD prices are really pretty awesome...

Okay here are the pics. I have put together a brand new strut assembly as I wanted to take my time. I installed everything by myself with hand tools (no power tools here) so I was really exhausted. Front installation was quick and straightforward. The rear lower nut & bolt was a @#(&*^@!!!!:mad: I even broke my ratchet so I had to run to Sears for a new one.

Here are the parts & PNs.

Bilstein HD struts aka B6 (PN: VE3-B830 H0, VE3-B831 H0, BE5-B832)

STi Pinks for BP MT (PN: ST 2033021010, ST2038021010) - both F&R had 2 orange dots.

JDM/USDM Spec B Front Tophats (PN: 20320AG000) - bosco's PN is different but either one works.

Front Spring Seat (PN: 20323AG000)

Front dust cap (PN: 20326AG000)

Rear tophats (PN: 20370AE000)

Rear rubber spring seat (PN: 20375AE000)

Ride quality - As I have mentioned earlier, it is very similar to unclemat's Spec B Bilstein w/ pinks (we even have the same JDM RSB). The car feels much planted taking corners. Dive/squat is greatly reduced under braking/acceleration.

IMG_4373.JPG.d6259b994c00b5c05871edc46acca182.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG.3702ee7e57941b95f96ff21a8b8672d9.JPG

IMG_4371.JPG.ab7cd214886b7b5e5ef5781b9fa93c71.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG.0974b0266b25ef19a5dc11b953c11a2e.JPG

This car is after Pinks in both pics? Nice stance. The rear sits surprisingly high, but maybe it will settle down.

looks good, but the drop on the sedan with pinks (Bosco's) looks a bit more aggressive/lower. :confused:

Waxiboy,

I applaud you sir, well done.

I thought we could re-use the spring seats, dust cap and rear tophat?

Thanks. Yes you can re-use front spring seat, rear rubber spring seat & rear mount. You have to use different dust cap for the front JDM/Spec B tophats though. I decided to use all b'new stuff so that I could put the struts together at my own pace and just plug and play after. This minimizes the car's downtime.

Okay here are the pics. I have put together a brand new strut assembly as I wanted to take my time. I installed everything by myself with hand tools (no power tools here) so I was really exhausted. Front installation was quick and straightforward. The rear lower nut & bolt was a @#(&*^@!!!!:mad: I even broke my ratchet so I had to run to Sears for a new one.

Here are the parts & PNs.

STi Pinks for BP MT (PN: ST 2033021010, ST2038021010) - both F&R had 2 orange dots.

JDM/USDM Spec B Front Tophats (PN: 20320AG000) - bosco's PN is different but either one works.

Rear rubber spring seat (PN: 20375AE000)

Ride quality - As I have mentioned earlier, it is very similar to unclemat's Spec B Bilstein w/ pinks (we even have the same JDM RSB). The car feels much planted taking corners. Dive/squat is greatly reduced under braking/acceleration.

very cool. i'm doing the very same thing shortly. just waiting on the springs via slow boat from japan. glad to see the drop looks right...

Rear rubber spring seat (PN: 20375AE000)...

what is the approx retail of this setup?

Im feeling quite lazy to read 8 pages worth but long story short, if your planning on picking up a set of these bilsteins along with jdm springs, your definately going to need to invest in jdm tophats,etc?

I'm feeling too lazy to give you the answer you're looking for.:icon_wink

ignore him, he'll go away.

what is the approx retail of this setup?

Im feeling quite lazy to read 8 pages worth but long story short, if your planning on picking up a set of these bilsteins along with jdm springs, your definately going to need to invest in jdm tophats,etc?

Bilstein HD $530 (www.allshocks.com)

STi Pink $384 (www.rallispec.com)

JDM/Spec B tophats $100 give or take depending where you buy it

Spec B tophat dust cap $5 maybe

All other parts can be re-used.

Total $1020

Look and ride of the car .......... pricele$$ :D

Bilstein HD $530 (www.allshocks.com)

STi Pink $384 (www.rallispec.com)

JDM/Spec B tophats $100 give or take depending where you buy it

Spec B tophat dust cap $5 maybe

All other parts can be re-used.

Total $1020

Look and ride of the car pricele$$ :D

THX Waxi! I want this setup, but currently to rich for my blood... :(

After the wedding in August, I will have money coming back in, instead of perpetually out...

THX Waxi! I want this setup, but currently to rich for my blood... :(

After the wedding in August, I will have money coming back in, instead of perpetually out...

get yourself a subaru master card. you'll get 3% back on all purchases in the form of subie bucks. You could have at least the tophats paid for.

Archived