LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So any springs with similar spring rate to the Pinks will work? Cobb springs?

Pinks are probably a little firmer than Cobb if Cobbs are "close to stock".

BTW...Cobb springs will not work with these struts. You need JDM springs. The fronts are different height.

It was said in another thread that these shocks might not have as much travel as the USDM SPEC B bilsteins.

Truth or myth?

Thanks for the info guys, I will be ordering these soon, just haven't decided if I will cut a 1/2 coil off of my ION front springs or order the new springs with the struts.

just haven't decided if I will cut a 1/2 coil off of my ION front springs or order the new springs with the struts.

littlebluegt cut his ions at one point i think...send him a pm.

EDIT: actually i think it was only his rears. i sent an email to jack at ion. i think we'd have an issue cutting off the top 1/2" due to them being progerssive rate springs.

Bosco...looks really good!

Are you sure you had enough poeple helping with the install?! :) Man..I only had my buddy and 2 year old son helping me out!

as it was so eloquently stated in a previous post yes i do need help. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

littlebluegt cut his ions at one point i think...send him a pm.

EDIT: actually i think it was only his rears. i sent an email to jack at ion. i think we'd have an issue cutting off the top 1/2" due to them being progerssive rate springs.

Can't cut the fronts, too bad, the rears are a different story.

not trying to be a jerk but i've posted the part number like three times for the top hats i'm using #20320AG01A www.libertysubaru.com your welcome :lol: bosco

This is Opie's thread on PNs http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7871 at the bottom, it shows a different PN. I am not saying your PN is wrong, I just want someone to chime in on why there is a difference. Maybe they did change PNs from 06 to 07 but who knows.

Can't cut the fronts, too bad, the rears are a different story.

Why? morrisok did it. You can cut the coil at the bottom. Not that I recommend that but I think it can be done.

It was said in another thread that these shocks might not have as much travel as the USDM SPEC B bilsteins.

Truth or myth?

Thanks for the info guys, I will be ordering these soon, just haven't decided if I will cut a 1/2 coil off of my ION front springs or order the new springs with the struts.

Bilstein HD stroke measurements are 4 3/8" or 111mm for the front. 5 1/8" or 131mm for the rear. these are garage/tape measurements so if they are off a few mm so what. i compreessed the fronts until i felt them stop and it feels like there is a rubber stop internally of some sort b/c if you really push hard to compress they will go another almost 1/2". so far i like them only time will tell. :lol: btw the shaft size vs the stock struts is almost double these bad boys are beefy. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

This is Opie's thread on PNs http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7871 at the bottom, it shows a different PN. I am not saying your PN is wrong, I just want someone to chime in on why there is a difference. Maybe they did change PNs from 06 to 07 but who knows.

Opie would know. i was told the ones i have are '07 spec b. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Bilstein HD stroke measurements are 4 3/8" or 111mm for the front. 5 1/8" or 131mm for the rear. these are garage/tape measurements so if they are off a few mm so what. i compreessed the fronts until i felt them stop and it feels like there is a rubber stop internally of some sort b/c if you really push hard to compress they will go another almost 1/2". so far i like them only time will tell. :lol: btw the shaft size vs the stock struts is almost double these bad boys are beefy. bosco

JDM SpecB Bilsteins have 130mm of travel in front.

Looks like these are really different, i.e. looks similar externally, but internals must be different then.

Why? morrisok did it. You can cut the coil at the bottom. Not that I recommend that but I think it can be done.

Technically it can be done if you do the bottom, but it messes with the variable rate part of it, at least on the rears it just slightly increases the entire spring rate.

JDM SpecB Bilsteins have 130mm of travel in front.

Looks like these are really different, i.e. looks similar externally, but internals must be different then.

I guess we should compare HDs to JDM GT Bilsteins since that is what they are supposed to replace. JDM Spec B Bilsteins are a different animal.

So which is the right PN for the top hats? Could there be a year revision between 06 & 07 SpecB?

20320AG01A

20320AG000

exactly. bosco used the 07 spec b front mounts which is the first #. the second is for the 06. i can't imagine they changed that much...

I guess we should compare HDs to JDM GT Bilsteins since that is what they are supposed to replace. JDM Spec B Bilsteins are a different animal.

You're right. I have a set of JDM GT in my suspension collection, I'll measure and let you know.

You're right. I have a set of JDM GT in my suspension collection, I'll measure and let you know.

Please do. I personally think that the 130mm travel number that is being bandied about for the JDM Bilsteins is without the bumpstop. Since the Bilstein HD's are being measured with the bumpstop installed, obviously they will show less travel. If you think about it 20mm is about what the bumpstop probably measures. I really doubt that there is any difference between the OEM Bisteins and the aftermarket Bilstein HD's.

Please do. I personally think that the 130mm travel number that is being bandied about for the JDM Bilsteins is without the bumpstop. Since the Bilstein HD's are being measured with the bumpstop installed, obviously they will show less travel. If you think about it 20mm is about what the bumpstop probably measures. I really doubt that there is any difference between the OEM Bisteins and the aftermarket Bilstein HD's.

So I guess the real question is will the HD bottom out before the suspension hits the bump stop? :iam:

If it does not then all is good?

Archived