LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bosco, sorry for the inattentiveness if I missed it somewhere (speed reading + work = loss of info LOL) , but am I understanding these to be specB struts, or near them in performance? Considering an 07 Spec B and am concerned on the "upgraded suspension" so want to know if just adding the Pinks (or H-tek) springs to the SpecB bilsteins I'd get a nice taught turn in handling for the twisties without the harshness of some coilovers.

Bosco, sorry for the inattentiveness if I missed it somewhere (speed reading + work = loss of info LOL) , but am I understanding these to be specB struts, or near them in performance? Considering an 07 Spec B and am concerned on the "upgraded suspension" so want to know if just adding the Pinks (or H-tek) springs to the SpecB bilsteins I'd get a nice taught turn in handling for the twisties without the harshness of some coilovers.

Try the springs first (make sure you get them for the '07 as it's heavier). If it's not enough go with the HD's or JDM Spec B Bilsteins.

Search...theirs a review of Pinks on a otherwise stock Spec B.

Don't forget to replace your rear sway bar too.

Yeah, seems that a lot of the spec b guys get what they want by swapping out the springs for the higher rate sti pinks. Only about $400 for those.

Thanks, Ya I did some deeper searches and it does appear the pinks are a fine mate to the SpecB Bilsteins, and potentially what I am looking for in terms of ride quality yet sharpness.

Wonder who has done the HD's with different springs? I'm wondering how they would perform with higher spring rate springs? Dunno if I plan on swapping to Pinks (cause people have done it and liked it) or just swap my front iONs for JDM spec iON springs. Maybe it would perform better or be too stiff?

Pinks:

3.9kg/mm Fr

5.9kg/mm R

iON (sport spec)

4.0kg/mm 1", 5.2kg/mm 2" Fr

6.7kg/mm R

Also...drop. Bosco's looks good....iON's may drop it too much on HD's? But the 15mm drop spec for Pinks seems to be off. More like 25mm? :rolleyes:

Also...drop. Bosco's looks good....iON's may drop it too much on HD's? But the 15mm drop spec for Pinks seems to be off. More like 25mm? :rolleyes:

What, you do not like my drop :confused:

I doubt if we can use the 15mm benchmark since that is measured coming from OEM JDM struts & springs.

What, you do not like my drop :confused:

I doubt if we can use the 15mm benchmark since that is measured coming from OEM JDM struts & springs.

Looks good Waxi as always. Hey, it's warmer now...get those spec b rims back on.

Just concerned that I'm used to my current drop and like it. Dunno if Pinks/HD's will make it higher or if iON's would make it too low. I need to measure and compare it to Bosco's.

EDIT:

FIW... I did some measuring to see how simliar Bosco's set up is to my current one. I like my stance and would prefer it to stay the same. Here it goes....

Measuring to the metal bar under the skirt like Bosco...

Me (OEM struts, ion sport spec, RE960, 225/45/17)

Front: 5 7/8"

Rear: 5 15/16"

(tire to fender gap...front 1 1/2", rear 3/4")

Bosco (HD's/Pinks)

Front: 5 1/2"

Rear: 5 3/4"

Very very similar. Some of my addtional height is due to higher profile tires.

swifts drop the car a lot frome what I've seen. Like Waxiboy said go with a spring that's not as much of a drop. check out the picks...both waxiboy's and bosco's car's look great. bosco's sedan is actually lower on HD's and Pinks then my car on OEM struts and iONs. Not much but lower.

Okay here are the pics. I have put together a brand new strut assembly as I wanted to take my time. I installed everything by myself with hand tools (no power tools here) so I was really exhausted. Front installation was quick and straightforward. The rear lower nut & bolt was a @#(&*^@!!!!:mad: I even broke my ratchet so I had to run to Sears for a new one.

Here are the parts & PNs.

Bilstein HD struts aka B6 (PN: VE3-B830 H0, VE3-B831 H0, BE5-B832)

STi Pinks for BP MT (PN: ST 2033021010, ST2038021010) - both F&R had 2 orange dots.

JDM/USDM Spec B Front Tophats (PN: 20320AG000) - bosco's PN is different but either one works.

Front Spring Seat (PN: 20323AG000)

Front dust cap (PN: 20326AG000)

Rear tophats (PN: 20370AE000)

Rear rubber spring seat (PN: 20375AE000)

Ride quality - As I have mentioned earlier, it is very similar to unclemat's Spec B Bilstein w/ pinks (we even have the same JDM RSB). The car feels much planted taking corners. Dive/squat is greatly reduced under braking/acceleration.

Would an 05 LGT AT Sedan also use these same parts? Also is the front spring seat needed or can that be reused?

Would an 05 LGT AT Sedan also use these same parts? Also is the front spring seat needed or can that be reused?

The AT sedan would be different part numbers. The spring rates, I believe, are the same. Possibly the length is different. PM unclemat.

just installed my summer combo ASA J8 17x7.5 50mm silver w/machined rim with Goodyear F1 GS-D3 225x45xZR17 the tires make for a better ride i'm starting to believe the RE92's are not the best choice :lol: ride height has not changed. a couple of pics of an unwashed car. :) bosco

IMG_0227.JPG.9ed4c7628fb76cf06a722a29b514f97c.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG.65f7b3563ea943e3f0ac66e35feb66ff.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG.337dad84f447c216c43e34b55bd260cf.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG.449e5ad452ecce802785c4b71397afcf.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG.1eaafd8dac364635e4a1391c62c17f5f.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG.a3b3cec04ff3ee65e372d1fc19b968b5.JPG

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Bosco,

Looking good.

BTW....just got a quote....HD's, $503 shipped.

Anyone know how HD's compare to the stock USDM spec b Bilsteins? I'm guessing since they are replacments they are little bit firmer? Can anyone confirm this?

Bosco,

Anyone know how HD's compare to the stock USDM spec b Bilsteins? I'm guessing since they are replacments they are little bit firmer? Can anyone confirm this?

+1. i would love to ride in a stock spec b just to feel the difference. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived