LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would bet the little plastic reflectors on it...the only thing i did differently was in step 4 i only took 4 of the gold blots out and left the 5 (the one in the photo) i, just loosened it and pushed the bracket down. It is funny because suby folks are the only ones that will notice, it looks like it was supposed to be that way

yeah i did this mod about 2 weeks after owning the car it caught me off guard how much crap i had to do to get those headlights off(wish i would have known about this forum then) but i did what the WRX guys do i put it in the oven for bout ten minutes after removing all hardware. it had the same effect as the heatgun just be carefull i was so damn paranoid during the whole thing i opened the oven every min. So for me it took about 30 min for each headlight...<mutter mutter mutter> stupid oven paranoia <mutter>...

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

• 2 weeks later...
Is it me or do the headlights look a little RX-8ish? I think they look SWEET. I swear, the first week I get my black LGT, i will clear out the headlights, maybe paint the housing black, and get HID's (probably 5300k). As far as the bulbs, i think there are 2 stage LED's that are hyperwhite (HID look) and turn amber when you use the turn signal.

Car looks so sweet with cleared headlights. just gotta gather the courage to do it myself.

i feel the same way about doing it i did it mn my camry and didnt like the results but i may try it again on my gt i think it would look so sweet an a black gt judging from how great it looks on a white gt :D

My dealer would laugh at me. I don't think they'll do anything that they don't see in their training manuals...

...anyways... just do it, its not that bad aslong as you are careful. I was doubtful about the whole idea until i saw the end result for myself.... breath taking. (new pic in vbgarage if your interested)

My dealer would laugh at me. I don't think they'll do anything that they don't see in their training manuals...

...anyways... just do it, its not that bad aslong as you are careful. I was doubtful about the whole idea until i saw the end result for myself.... breath taking. (new pic in vbgarage if your interested)

Its really nice! I like it thats why I wana clear mine. I'll ask my dealer if they refuse i'll do it my self.

I just noticed something tho, the headlights when cleared dont really look the same as the JDM, its more like a mirror look on USDMs, do you agree or its just the picture?

that is by far the best responce i have seen. dealerships tend not to do things that anre outside of routine maintnance. i have to hand it to a honda dealership (years ago) they had an accord that they tinted, put a set of 17s on and a bazooka tube, and at the toyota dealership my camry came from they had a numbber of cars with bazooka tubes in them. so some rare dealerships do things outside of the norm. i think the scion way of thinking will cetch on some time in the near future, not that i like them but an aem intake from factory is prety cool :D

that is by far the best responce i have seen. dealerships tend not to do things that anre outside of routine maintnance. i have to hand it to a honda dealership (years ago) they had an accord that they tinted, put a set of 17s on and a bazooka tube, and at the toyota dealership my camry came from they had a numbber of cars with bazooka tubes in them. so some rare dealerships do things outside of the norm. i think the scion way of thinking will cetch on some time in the near future, not that i like them but an aem intake from factory is prety cool :D
Hey guys, I work at a San Francisco car audio/video/security shop that deals with dealerships such as Honda/Acura of Serramonte and I remember walking into the Honda dealership and seeing some fixed up cars in the show room. Last week there was a new accord coupe sittin on 19 inch chrome wheels. A few weeks after the release of the Element, i remember seeing an Element sitting on chrome 20's with an aftermarket radio and subwoofer, although let me say, whoever installed the radio, did a bad job b/c cosmetically, it looked horrible. There were gaps all along the dash kit. Finally, I tend to see a few Odysseys with aftermarket headrest monitors in addition to the factory optional overhead. I guess its pretty cool what these dealerships do.

Hey guys, I work at a San Francisco car audio/video/security shop that deals with dealerships such as Honda/Acura of Serramonte and I remember walking into the Honda dealership and seeing some fixed up cars in the show room. Last week there was a new accord coupe sittin on 19 inch chrome wheels. A few weeks after the release of the Element, i remember seeing an Element sitting on chrome 20's with an aftermarket radio and subwoofer, although let me say, whoever installed the radio, did a bad job b/c cosmetically, it looked horrible. There were gaps all along the dash kit. Finally, I tend to see a few Odysseys with aftermarket headrest monitors in addition to the factory optional overhead. I guess its pretty cool what these dealerships do.

Umm.....I don't think so. Who wants a crap install and a window sticker so high that the buyer will ALWAYS be upside down on the car (be sure to add gap insurance so you are covered)? The dealer is sourcing those parts the same places we do (at the same cost), then marks them up extremely high. Not to mention all the people breathing on the car before the buyer finally gets it. NEVER buy a car off the showroom floor.

The local MINI dealer does this with MINI accessories (like the JCW kit). $300 PIAA's end up costing $995. $1200 wheels sell for $2700. They actually have a standard Cooper (not the 'S') in the showroom with a sticker price of over $32K!!

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys, I finally got to install them and guess what, I cleared my headlights too. Check the pictures out.

I love them, 4300k(D2S bulb) look exactly like BMW's factory HID. I had alittle hard time fitting them but not that bad.

Enjoy.

http://img121.exs.cx/img121/2315/IMG_6594.jpg

http://img121.exs.cx/img121/4307/IMG_6595.jpg

http://img121.exs.cx/img121/8048/IMG_6596.jpg

those pics are kinda bad. put up some brighter ones' date=' from farther away with your new lights on if possible. i wanna see them. congrats on the mod though, i know it's alittle unnerving taking apart perfectly good/expensive headlights.[/quote']

here they are, it would be better if you save picture then open it with picture viewer.

http://img34.exs.cx/img34/8661/IMG_6608.jpg

http://img34.exs.cx/img34/7714/IMG_6603.jpg

thanks Keefe, .. do you know the difference between 1156 and 7440 mirror orange? also, i saw they have dealers, but is there anywhere online we can order from?

1156 is a twist bulb, 7440 is the push in type.. those are model numbers of the type of bulb. I believe the GT uses 1156 up front.. (1157 are dual filament bulbs typically used for brake lights for one filament and parking lights for the other filament).

I opt to buy PIAA bulbs at a store.. it's easier to return for warranty reasons.. (since PIAA USA has a 1-year manufacturer warranty on them).

Keefe

Keefe

I saw some bulbs the other day, marketed as Sylvania Silverstar Indicator lights, which have an irridium clear coat on the bulbs (clear with a rainbow effect) and light up amber.

I want to try them on my Miata and Ranger, which both have clear lense turn signals (aftermarket on the Ranger, looks stock and fluted, just not amber lenses) and see how they work.

I think they would look awesome on a clear-lensed Legacy.

I also think that it would be cool to get some of that stick-on lense tinting film, about 50% light transmision, and cover the upper and lower parts of the indicator, above and below the fluted horizontal diffuser (which would stay clear), outboard of the "bulge" over the low beam projector. I think it would mute down the chrome reflector, and accentuate the horizontal diffuser even more.

• 2 weeks later...

for the record, the turn signal bulb is a 3157A. both the 1156 and 1157 are round at the base while the 3157 is flat. Sylvania makes a Silverstar that is metalic looking and blinks amber. i paid $25 for the pair at my local auto supply and i did not price shop.

before i realized that the 1156 or 7 would not work, i called around for the PIAA mini's and they said those won't be available till january. not sure they have a 3157 in that model since they don't show one on the site.