LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

Just did mine too. No problems at all following the same process as e-tank. Much better. :)

Before

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_y662cR2205s/SlNmxQTK56I/AAAAAAAADx4/0T1hzeP7vJk/s800/DSC05381.JPG

After

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_y662cR2205s/SlNm_IiX22I/AAAAAAAADyc/O95LcgPgSR4/s800/DSC05394.JPG

Lit

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_y662cR2205s/SlNnAzRjTaI/AAAAAAAADyk/pzSbm799Ql4/s800/DSC05397.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having problems on taking out my grill and bumper....

For the bumper i have all 7 pop-its out that are from under the bumper. I don't see any screws on the fender well.....

As for the grill part i have all the pop it's off the grill on the top and snapped the top part of the grill off.. Now i only see 4 screws on the grill and have taken them off.

What am i missing? Hope you understand what i'm talking about... Thanks in advance

there's another popit on each side that connects the fender and bumper near the wheel well. u gotta pull the wheel well rubber thing back and u'll see the popit. as for the grill. it comes out with the bumper if u pull the bumper off 1st. by then it'll be easier to spot the missed screws for the grill

got the pop-it off!!!!:spin:

BUT now i see a screw about 4 inches away from that pop-its thats holding it together.:mad:

So now i'm about to go to home depot because i don't have a tool small enough to fit in there to take the screws out :icon_frow

LOL i've spent almost 4 hours just trying to take the bumper and grill apart...I'm making this a 2 day project Since i'm horrible at diy projects. I'm a Noob x10

But i'm not just clearing the headlights. I'm also doing my own grill and putting LEDs inside my headlights as a look like the new audi's

i dont know if the 09's changed from the 08's but i did see "screws" next to those fender/bumper popits but those arent connected. the bumper is just held on by "tabs". so just reach through the wheel well and push the bumper out. might take a lil "oomph" but it'll come out. but i'd check with another 09 person who's removed his/her bumper for verification. it'd be a waste of time if u unscrewed those and find out they werent apart of removing the bumper... :redface:

here's a link to a decent walk-thru (the OP says 08 or 09)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108405

Edited by JaeGT

:lol:I wish i read this before because i Cut the screw off from all the hatred trying to take it out.....:eek:then in the end it wasn't suppose to come off. But i'm going to stop by napa or home depot for another screw and bolt.

I guess all it needed was a really big "oomph" cause the driver side was really hard to pop out and after cutting that screw i thought it was still stuck from another screw and was mad:mad: enough that i wanted to rip it apart lol. Good thing nothing was connected left to tear apart. I guess it was just stuck in there really really good.

Thanks Again JeaGT for your help. I really appreciate it. :)

ouch :( no problem chucho. good luck with the rest of the project. if its too hard to pull apart the headlight housing after putting it in the oven, just stick it back in for another 2 mins and try again. i accidentally ripped just 1 or 2mm of the rubber part which im :mad: about but luckily they resealed fine. washed my car yesterday and no condensation :p

ouch....sounds worse than mine. I can replace the bolt but you won't be able to replace a cracked headlight but seal it really really good. I'll keep you guys updated and take pics when all said and done.

Just finished clearing my headlights but also put my led's inside the headlights too. Hope you guys like it.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/85/l_fb7a399fb11641ec985d874e15a42e64.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=71828&stc=1&d=1249892891

Edited by Chucho
Didn't load it right last time. Hope it works now.

^ :lol: "Testicular Fortitude."

I'm stealing that one. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

untill i feel confident enough i will have to put off doing this, and until i can use a buddys driveway so im not taking off my bumper and leaving it there outside on the side of my street. But i do like those led strips, ive been thinking about doing those since i got my car 6 months ago

Also considering just leaving the bottom half of the orange reflector and running the led strip similar to the one above but continue it to the top of the reflector

Edited by JimyJoeBob

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/fiidgett/post%20supension%20shoot%20aug09/IMG_0873.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/fiidgett/post%20supension%20shoot%20aug09/IMG_0930.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2005 Outback Wagon. I found this thread because I want to start this mod, and clear the headlights out.

Im trying to find a bulb that is clear but blinks amber.

Are our only options the tinted blue ones from Sylvania?

I found three model #s

3157A

3157AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

3157NAL

But cant seem to find one that is what we need

Which ones did you guys use?

P

so has anyone done this to an 08 swp? im trying to figure out if i want to clear or blacken em out....seen pics of earlier style lights, i love em both ways but not sure how the blackend out look will go with the 08 style? been looking around and havent been able to compare the two on white.

• 2 weeks later...

so i just finished my first headlite clearing....all went fine. My lights werent mounted, as i did this on a new set that i ordered (aftermarket from DiscountBodyParts $250 both shipped!!!!!). Anyway, it went well....here are some pics.

.....a special thanks to my helper, as seen in pics.:)

SSPX0633.thumb.jpg.4ff4afafefa7dac476082403a479fd7b.jpg

SSPX0640.thumb.jpg.31660425df46ba7821730216bc9b2459.jpg

SSPX0641.thumb.jpg.32f9ab7d60f7edb6908077b98edd639b.jpg

SSPX0643.thumb.jpg.5148e23bbf6bc71e5ed29e7c2eb44b74.jpg

Edited by BagheeraLGT

so i just finished my first headlite clearing....all went fine. My lights werent mounted, as i did this on a new set that i ordered (aftermarket from DiscountAutoParts $250 both shipped!!!!!). Anyway, it went well....here are some pics.

.....a special thanks to my helper, as seen in pics.:)

Those look good, and the price is great. How does the quality compare to the original headlights? Did you install them yet?

well there not installed yet but seem to be of equal quality... i only had an 08 OEM headlight on hand to compare it to, as my car was in a crash and my origional 05 OEM lites are at the body shop. My ride should be all back together (hopefully) by the end of this week or early next. Back to the lights, they seemed to be equally built, inside and out, but again, i cant be positive. If i had to though, id order them again.... basically 2 for the price of one.....DiscountBodyParts.com is where i got mine. Hope this helps

Did this mod last weekend.

I can't say that it was difficult. Taking bumper and lights off takes about 20 minutes. The painting took some time but as I did it Sat evening, and than let paint to cure overnight before baking - it didn't take that much of my time each day.

Baking lights at 200F for 10 minutes works like a charm. Than just use flat screwdriver to pry it apart, wasn't difficult at all.

Press it together cold as best as you can, than bake it again, press together, put the screws in, and use clamps for 20 minutes where there are no screws.

I only taped the reflector (flat squares) around turn signal, everything else went black. When all done, it looks mean/sick/awesome. Totally worth it.

I noticed that there is two plugged holes in the back of the light. I imagine it can be used to blow air through the light to get rid of condensation (I don't have that problem). Don't need to take light apart for that.

I used 3M blue tape, and it didn't take any chrome off. it left some sticky residue on reflector. Cleaning with alcohol helped some, but some is still left. But you have to be 2" from the light and look hard to see it. So it's no problem.

http://trusevich.com/album/other/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20type%20B/odyssey%20pc545/mysuby.jpg