LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW..cannot believe how sweet these cars look with a little amber lens removed..id love to do mine, but do not have the balls to do so..if i didnt have to remove the whole front bumper to get the lights out, i might consider doin this..

^ Just follow the step-by-step.

Trust me, if you can follow basic directions (i.e. build a model car, for example), turn a screwdriver or replace a light-bulb in your typical household lamp, you have the physical capabilities to do this project.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

yea..im sure i could do it..but the thoughts of literally tearing whole front end off, and putting expensive headlights in the oven sounds scary..i keep looking at this thread and drooling though..my black legacy would be soo sweet with this done..we will see maybe ill go have a look on a warmer day..

I also cleared mine over the weekend thanks to these instructions. I used the oven method (225 degrees for 15 minutes) which was much easier than I anticipated. I used an old butterknife to separate the housing when they came out of the oven.

Once they were cleared, I added some black silicone sealant, pressed them together as much as I could, reheated them in the oven (225 degrees for 10 minutes), then pressed them together so that they clipped together, screwed in the torx screws, and they resealed nicely.

FYI, I did this mod back in May '05, and my headlights remain perfectly sealed after using this method.

ok all..tired of looking at this same thread everyday...i just purchased some PERMATEX BLACK SEALENT AND ADHESIVE to have on hand to reseal lights, just in case..also, planning on buying more pop it pins..i think im gonna try this as soon as it warms up a bit..my only question is, once i have foil or newspaper down on cookie sheet, where do i put the oven rack?? should the rack be closest to element on the bottom?? will 220 for 10min be a good start?? im not gonna lie, the pics of the car tore apart and the headlight in oven thing is scary, but since my car is black, i have to do this..thanks for the help!! hope to get this done soon

ok all..tired of looking at this same thread everyday...i just purchased some PERMATEX BLACK SEALENT AND ADHESIVE to have on hand to reseal lights, just in case..also, planning on buying more pop it pins..i think im gonna try this as soon as it warms up a bit..my only question is, once i have foil or newspaper down on cookie sheet, where do i put the oven rack?? should the rack be closest to element on the bottom?? will 220 for 10min be a good start?? im not gonna lie, the pics of the car tore apart and the headlight in oven thing is scary, but since my car is black, i have to do this..thanks for the help!! hope to get this done soon

I would wait the 15 minutes. At 15 minutes, I still had to pry them apart a bit. They didn't just peel apart like a banana. You don't want to keep pulling them out and putting them back in.

As far as oven rack settings, I didn't have much of a choice. The lights are pretty big. I just tried to set them so the light was centered as much as possible.

one more question..might be dumb one but, theres no reason to unhook battery cable for this right? im worried about the airbag sensors on the front of the car..thats all i need is to deploy the airbag doin this

I don't know that it is absolutely necessary to disconnect the battery cable, but it couldn't hurt. For every repair involving electrics, and even some that don't, the first Subaru instruction is to disconnect the battery. And you won't deploy the airbags by disconnecting the battery. That won't happen.

I would wait the 15 minutes. At 15 minutes, I still had to pry them apart a bit. They didn't just peel apart like a banana. You don't want to keep pulling them out and putting them back in.

As far as oven rack settings, I didn't have much of a choice. The lights are pretty big. I just tried to set them so the light was centered as much as possible.

I don't know that it is absolutely necessary to disconnect the battery cable, but it couldn't hurt. For every repair involving electrics, and even some that don't, the first Subaru instruction is to disconnect the battery. And you won't deploy the airbags by disconnecting the battery. That won't happen.

hey thanks for the help..it warmed up a bit here in pa..i actually have the grille, bumper and headlights off of the car..im actually in my kitchen now trying to get all the torx screws off of the housing..of course theres one screw on each i cant get!!!:mad: so now not sure what to do, made it this far!!

Im stuck again..ok got the screws off of housing, but what about the wires for the lights and the cover over projector?? does all that just stay to be baked? im ready to bake em as soon as i find out if this stuff needs removed..thank you!!

Take off the wiring, as well as take out all bulbs. Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Looks like your doing good so far. I took everything off to be safe, including the wiring and the bulbs (don't forget the small corner bulbs). Just remove the clip (where the lights attach) and thread it through the light housing. It's a tight fit, but it will go through. I was PARANOID about the heat, so I took the light out, put it in, took it out, put it in, etc. That didn't work too well, so give it enough time to heat up the seal. Then start prying at one corner (pick where you can best hold onto the light) and work your way around. It's hardest at first, but once the seal begins to break, it gets easier.

Best of luck!

IMG_4798.thumb.jpg.656ea5e4afc997834b19fb5a0e3100bd.jpg

IMG_4821.thumb.jpg.6f957043a9c8365035899e68c8c1a4a4.jpg

IMG_4835.thumb.jpg.179549da6e31b3b1991ba69f650deb25.jpg

little update here..got the car all put back together..im very happy with the results..it really is pretty simple..you just gotta get past the idea of ripping off the bumper and grille and the whole oven thing..im so glad i did this..just came from town and now i cant find the signal bulbs i want to finish off the clear look..oh well least my subies back together and looking good!!!

I certainly know the feeling of relief when you finish. It seems so much more simple to look back on it. I'm about 5 week out from clearing mine and have no moisture yet so I think I'll be okay. Can't wait to see some pics.

Here is my completed job. Also did the CF Eyelids, CF foglight surrounds and black painted grill.

IMG_4878.thumb.jpg.55f5a2492ae5bc4f3b16ff66227919f7.jpg

tried to do it last weekend, couldnt get the grille off and it was too cold to continue messing around with it. Im going to try it again this friday when it should be warmer, i'm off work, and the gf won't be around to freak out when i put my headlights in the oven.

^^^i hear that..glad the wife wasnt home when i did mine..i will say though, if you dont have extra sealent.. I STRONGLY suggest anyone doing this to buy permatex sealant, got mine on ebay..i did mine sat and the driver side has some moisture built up on the lower corner inside the headlight..now i barely had the balls to do this, took my time, asked a few questions on here, and got every single plastic clip back in place around each housing, and still got moisture..i dont have have any regrets besides waiting a couple extra days for my sealant to get here..i got impatient and tackled the job without the sealant because so many said they havent had problems, but i did..just take your time and maybe even get some new plastic push pins cause your gonna need them to..good luck..

^ You know, I wonder if the need for extra sealant isn't also somewhat related to just how much older/more weathered our vehicles are, now, versus when, say, this mod was first written up (i.e. when some of us '05 guys got the car new, off-the-lot).

Very good point, get some extra sealant, just in case! :)

^^^i hear that..glad the wife wasnt home when i did mine..i will say though, if you dont have extra sealent.. I STRONGLY suggest anyone doing this to buy permatex sealant, got mine on ebay..i did mine sat and the driver side has some moisture built up on the lower corner inside the headlight..now i barely had the balls to do this, took my time, asked a few questions on here, and got every single plastic clip back in place around each housing, and still got moisture..i dont have have any regrets besides waiting a couple extra days for my sealant to get here..i got impatient and tackled the job without the sealant because so many said they havent had problems, but i did..just take your time and maybe even get some new plastic push pins cause your gonna need them to..good luck..

already have that black silicone permatex sealant and the clear bulbs sitting at home. :)

^^i am goin to tear mine back down..exactly what im doin this week applying sealant over the entire seam, just to really give it waterproof seal..not sure if i should rebake to lossen the seal-apply and put back together and then put more on top..gota get the moisture out first though..