Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

just finished mine up! some cell phone pics

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/jumpman725/IMG00431.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/jumpman725/IMG00433.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/jumpman725/IMG00434.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/jumpman725/IMG00436.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Amazing post. Followed it to the T and it worked great. Used the heat gun method and it took me about 2 hours to do both headlights once I had the bumper off. Whole project took about 3.5 hours of work unsing only 3 screw drivers, 10mm deep socket and heatgun.

i think i'm going to try this on the upcoming weekend.

not gonna lie, this freaks me out though putting my headlights in the oven.

do i put them directly on the rack or lay down some foil or something in there, i dont want "charcoal lines" on my headlights.

is there any chance of the plastic melting? how closely do i need to monitor them in the oven (sit in front of it constantly watching)?

i think i'm going to try this on the upcoming weekend.

not gonna lie, this freaks me out though putting my headlights in the oven.

do i put them directly on the rack or lay down some foil or something in there, i dont want "charcoal lines" on my headlights.

is there any chance of the plastic melting? how closely do i need to monitor them in the oven (sit in front of it constantly watching)?

+1 on this...I'm thinking of doing this on Friday. Any advice?

Put em on a cookie sheet covered in tin foil. Your headlights will be fine, they're made to stand up to extreme temps, so you don't need to monitor the process, but honestly it scares the shit out of me too, and both times I've cooked mine I've been standing in front of the oven staring at them the whole time :lol:

Put em on a cookie sheet covered in tin foil. Your headlights will be fine, they're made to stand up to extreme temps, so you don't need to monitor the process, but honestly it scares the shit out of me too, and both times I've cooked mine I've been standing in front of the oven staring at them the whole time :lol:

so a chair to sit in front of the oven should be added to the list of materials :lol:

when putting them back in the oven to warm them up before sticking them back together I did melt mine a little bit in one of the corners..... not to scare anyone haha.

with the car back together you can't really notice it at all.

Edited by bigb3630123

• 2 weeks later...
Did this yesterday.

Used 285F @ 8min to unseal the light

Took out the reflectors, painted the lights gloss black, added some clear silicone in the cracks, and then pushed it back together as much as possible

Then Used 285 @ 5min to remelt the glue

Took them out of the oven and pushed them back together as hard as possible.

I ended up buying the silverstar rainbow colored bulbs that blink orange becuase i couldn't find any that were silver and blinked orange. If anyone wants to trade their silver to orange for my bluish rainbow to orange send me a pm.. probably would look good on a regal blue legacy.. not black like mine though.

The hardest part had to have been getting the popits out of the bumper behind the fender liners.. those were absolute bastards. Seriously leave yourself plenty of time, took about 8 hours going really slow.. could probably be done in an hour if you knew everything you were doing.

Before and after pics later

nononono i just followed these steps and it completely melted the bottom of my headlight, now hopefully they still seal. this temp WILL melt the plastic!!! dont go over 180. dont believe me i will take pictures of the damage

^ It's not that I don't believe you - rather, I don't believe your oven's temp. setting and/or readout.....I really think that you might have a much hotter oven than most others here.

I also used approx. 285 deg. F., and my lamps stayed in the oven for around 8 minutes for the unsealing, and 5 for re-sealing (see page 11). praeted and I did his the same way, too.

I wonder if your oven is either running hot (or is otherwise non-conventional), or your racks/plate are conducting more heat than usual.

I was actually really worried about mine, and closely monitored the baking process. I think that every time anyone I know did this, we always watched things closely, just to be sure - but I've gotta say that if the melt was happening in the bottom, none of us would've known until it was too late, too.

Hope your lamps seal up OK!

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Be careful with a heat-gun, too - the biggest problem with that is that it supplies "spot" heating. Be sure you know how your heat-gun behaves, as that's the second leading cause of "melting"/damaging the housing/lens - right after individual oven differences.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

i think when i finally get the balls to try this i'm going to put the lamps up on maybe some wood blocks on the cookie sheet just so its not really sitting on hot metal. Even if that probably doesn't effect anything it'll give me a little more peace of mind that they might not melt.

285 for 8-10min worked for me... no cookie sheet or anything. just sat the headlight (one at a time) on the oven rack. I just made sure that the clear plastic wasnt touching the sides of the oven. the first time i did it, i was a little nervous, but its really not that hard. if you're skeptical, put it in at 250 for 10 minutes, check it, and if its not able to be separated, then leave it in for a couple more minutes. Take it slow and stay focused! It REALLY is THAT easy! :)

^ Depends.

I know that sounds like a crappy answer, but it's honest. :)

I opened my lamps 3 times, and I've never used anything to re-seal them. I have yet to have any condensation or moisture ingress issues.

Yet, at the same time, when praedet and I did his, we took great care to make sure everything was good, and yet, he saw problems with one of his two (we thought that perhaps the dust we'd generated from Dremel'ing his unit, in doing a full-optics HID retro, might have been the cause).