LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ +1, I didn't know that, either! :)

DarkOblivion - the Sylvania Silverstar turn-signal/markers, which I have in my LGT, present a kind of "ion" effect, when it's daytime and it catches the sun. It's not exactly truly "chromed/silver."

I'm trying a set of chromed Phillips SilverVision from PowerBulbs in the UK, for my wife's '09 Forester (WY21W - aka 7440 - fitment). They should be here within the week. If you're interested in waiting, I'll let you know how the two compare. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ +1, I didn't know that, either! :)

DarkOblivion - the Sylvania Silverstar turn-signal/markers, which I have in my LGT, present a kind of "ion" effect, when it's daytime and it catches the sun. It's not exactly truly "chromed/silver."

I'm trying a set of chromed Phillips SilverVision from PowerBulbs in the UK, for my wife's '09 Forester (WY21W - aka 7440 - fitment). They should be here within the week. If you're interested in waiting, I'll let you know how the two compare. :)

I was actually thinking about getting the blue tinted ones instead of the silver tinted ones... One caught my eye on a VW one day in a parking lot, I was like, that doesn't look half back.

But definitely, post up some pics when you finish that and lemme see how it looks.

I won't have time to open up my headlights until June probably so you have plenty of time! Trying to redo my angel eyes haha.

Alright...so I told myself I wouldn't clear my headlight because I didn't want to deal with moisture. Yet I keep coming back to this forum being thoroughly impressed with the look of the cleared headlights.

Since I am extremely concerned about ruining my headlights and that the guy at the garage (earlier post) is correct I was wondering....

Of all you people who have had cleared headlights for a while...what did you do that the others didn't? how'd you manage to not have moisture problems?

And to all you who have moisture issues...what did you do wrong? why didn't it work 100% for you?

make sure when you put them back together you heat them up long enough, don't chicken out and try not to because you're scared to damage them. 5 mins in the oven before you push em back together worked fine for me twice without extra silicone

I've taken apart my headlights several times now, and I still don't have this moisture problem. It's been years since my last "bake-and-open," and also, I've seen plenty of water, since......

I used no extra sealant on the "re-seals."

Strangely enough, with brother praedet, whom I helped bake his headlamps, he suffered one moisture-ingress issue early on.

The best we could figure was that somehow, we generated enough plastic/metal dust during the modification of his headlamp housing for his HID-retrofit - enough to cause accumulation on some of the sealant, which then prevented proper re-bonding.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I did something REALLY stupid that I don't care to mention, hahaha.

But I'll tell you that if you do it properly (which isn't that hard.. if I weren't being retarded I would have done it properly and I am a horrible DIYer) you shouldn't have problems. I only get moisture after a car wash where the water sprays up from under the car (this one pressure wash place called Mr. Sparkle did that) and the moisture just went away by itself for a while. No problems whatsoever.

I will be redoing my headlights soon though, it should be much easier the second time when you already know where all the screws are and how to pry it apart and everything. An extra tube of silicon sealant never hurts.

Thanks for the responses.

Basically after a trade my 05 headlights for 07 ones I simply want the orange piece removed. Plain and simple. I just don't want to have to spend another $300 2 years down the road with moisture destroys them. Thats why I want to make sure I do it right.

In terms of taking out your headlights...

The metal bracket that the headlights rest on...If I take out the screws on top and on the bottom of the headlights can I slip the fixture out WITHOUT removing the metal bracket? The screws are rusted and will not budge and one of my friends at a garage sad that the bracket shouldn't have to be removed.

so i went to autozone to look for 3457AST bulbs and they are "iridescent blue" unlit and blink amber. they tell me there's no such thing as a clear bulb that blinks amber. (that shows how much they know about bulbs) it seems like these arent stocked normally anywhere. im gonna try some other parts stores tomorrow but i wanted to ask if there was any online stores that have these bulbs? (i tried google and nothing showed up except 1 sold on ebay) or if there are other bulbs out there that are clear unlit and blink amber that i could purchase at a store (if need be online)? thanks!

Dark and Jae -

Indeed, whether or not those parts-store staff know their stuff is highly variable. I've got some who are car-guys/gals who really know their stuff or are very, very persistent in using their computers to look stuff up :) , and I've also run into the complete opposite, who are either ignorant or just plain not helpful. :(

The SilverStars of that particular fitment are indeed popular. I've also had trouble before, getting them. The good thing about these mega-parts-stores, though, is that they can usually get parts couriered to them overnight from sister stores in the region, at no extra charge to you. :)

As for the SilverStars, they're not really "clear" when off, Dark.....they're sorta "ionic" looking - "iridescent," as Jae put it, is a great description.

This leads to a situation, when used in our "cleared" housings, particularly if you don't black-out the reflectors, daytime/daylight situations - when the light is *not* on - where the housing/assembly in that area some times will pick up a yellow/amber reflection, and this may keep the more stringent lighting-code enforcers off your back.

If you want something that's totally "clear when off," an LED-replacement may be more what you're looking for, or, alternatively, there are "chromed exterior" bulbs (like the Phillips SilverVision...although I don't think that's available for our front turn-signal fitment, though), which will make your headlamp assembly look more "clear/chromed" during the day, but will still shine amber/yellow when the signal's engaged.

The SilverStars are a unique solution for this area, and "iridescent" is a great description.

• 1 month later...

So I cleared my headlights....it was a scary process but I did it and had only a few issues.

1st issue - Taking the lamps apart was not easy. I did 280 degrees for 8 minutes and it was like pulling teeth. As soon as a made the initial split I got it apart..putting it back together was pretty hard to. I could only get them together right after I reheated.

2nd issue - I kept getting mysterious smudges on the chrome reflective part around the lamp. I tried a little damp cloth action to pick it up but wound up whipping some of the chrome right off 0.0 I stopped before it got too bad and left it.

Other than that it was a smooth sail (so far). I should have pictures after I get some silverstars and put the lamps back in.

p.s. - for those of you who have seen my other posts about not being able to get the headlights out of the car due to the stuck bracket screws. The way I managed to get them out was a fair amount of WD-40 and a socket wrench. Gave me the right amount of leverage and the WD helped with the initial loosening.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got the balls to do it. I'll tell ya, it was scary sticking these things in the oven. I did 280 degrees for 8 minutes to pull apart and 5 minutes as 280 to put back together. They came out perfectly and look 1000% times better. Those damn orange reflectors haunted me from day one.

If you haven't done it yet... DO IT!!!

Here's pics.

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj457/erictankel/SDC10337.jpg

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj457/erictankel/SDC10342.jpg

then you go about putting the bumper back on, pop in all the pop-its, screw down your lights, put the grille in, and you're good to go!

all in all, this took about 3 hours, taking my time and snapping shots. hope this helps out some people, i like to contribute. :D

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2069&d=1097276387

In this pic did you dremel off the verticals in between the chrome "wings" or is that not a stock grille?