LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

So I just did this yesterday, but it was raining when I put them back in and I got some condensation built up. Should I open them up to dry out then reseal them again ... Or just let it go and see if it goes away .. I even put new sealant down Edited by The Duck

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I'd leave the "cups" on the back of the lens open for a night (assuming your vehicle is garaged), and let everything come back to ambient temperatures again.

With how cold it's been around here, I almost wonder if some trapped moisture from the house-to-garage might not be the cause of your early woes....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I am just wondering, what temp sould i set my oven to, how long should i leave the lights in there for and what should i place them on because right now my car is sitting in the garage with the front end missing and after reading about the clearing of the lights for so long i finally got the balls to do this and hope not to F this up.

if you're sure everything is sealed and theres still a little condensation to get out, go to the hardware store or Walgreens, Home Depot etc. and get Damp Rid

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/jahselectah/105684_front200.jpg

with a paper towel, make a little packet with this stuff inside(use masking tape). open your lamp from the circle in back as if changing a bulb, and insert the packet. if you are planning on driving soon place it as far away from the bulbs as possible. (paper towel may catch fire) best to leave this in over night while the car isn't gonna be used.

do this every night with a new packet until theres no more condensation problems.

when you remove the old packet, it should be damp. if it is not then you have no more condensation

Edited by jah77clash
adding more info

Great tip. Way to use your noggin.

Maybe, if you have some of those "Silica" packs that come in things, You could use those as well/instead.

If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

Nice! Indeed, that's using your noggin!!! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

I am relatively new to the whole mod scene. Now that I finally have time I wanted to undergo this little adventure, but I have a potentially stupid question...

My stock car has headlights like this...

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/8031/notclearedlk5.jpg

While some of you have headlights like this...

http://x92.xanga.com/f35a87f4d043281159890/s55351469.jpg

So basically I want that stock black plastic under the headlight to be chrome like what I believe the later models have.

How would I go about doing this? chrome paint? I just love how the whole light fixture gives a chrome vibe...that plastic black looks ugly.

Any words of advice would be awesome. Again sorry if this is a dumb question that makes you want to slam your head against the wall. I get dumb questions a lot and know that feeling all too well.

Not a dumb question at all - there are no dumb questions. :)

Your best option would be an out-and-out direct trade with a later model year (but same bumper skin, IIRC, this would be 2006 and 2007) vehicle.

I am not sure that any chrome paint on the market could achieve that kind of finish.....

thanks for the response.

Yeah a direct trade would be the best, but unlikely I will have much luck with that, although I will try ebay as well as some friends who go to the car graveyards a lot.

In terms of paint is there anything close? obviously a light extremely glossy silver would be close as possible I would think, but is there any "mirror" paint out there?

EDIT: I actually just looked on ebay for headlights...I was actually surprised to find a good amount but all of them seem to be $100+..each. A little too expensive for a little more chrome, although I also looked up paint and found a lot of different chrome paints. Although not perfect...it may be the cheapest "decent" solution....the black has gotta go!

Edited by Adriftoc

I am really angry right now.

I got through the grill and bumper and unscrewed all the screws on the top of the headlight....went to unscrew the screws for the bracket and they are all rusted and wont budge. I think they are all cold welded. I am soo close to getting my headlights out.

Unless any of you have a better idea...I am going to put my car back together, take it to a garage, and have them dremel and replace all those screws so I can finally do this cool mod.

I am really angry right now.

I got through the grill and bumper and unscrewed all the screws on the top of the headlight....went to unscrew the screws for the bracket and they are all rusted and wont budge. I think they are all cold welded. I am soo close to getting my headlights out.

Unless any of you have a better idea...I am going to put my car back together, take it to a garage, and have them dremel and replace all those screws so I can finally do this cool mod.

TRADE ME!!! i've been looking forever to trade headlights. I have an 07 w/ 30k miles. headlights still look new.

I tried the first obvious choice...Philips head screw driver. No dice.

I tried a c-wrech...worked on the bumper screws...but not these.

I tried a multitude of pliers, wrenches, hammer O.O

Nothing will make the screws budge. I am going to take to a friend who owns a garage tomorrow and see if he can replace them with new "loose" ones so I can take my lights out with ease.

EDIT: Went to my friend at the garage. and I have some REALLY bad news...He first told me that the part I was trying to take off didn't need to come off, and that taking out the headlights after the bumper is off should take less than 20 minutes according to his schematic...grr.

BUT I told him what I was trying to do and he stopped me dead in my tracks. He said that if you undo the silicone, you are also undoing a vacuum seal. He said his daughters cleared there headlights and he warned them and that the lights looked cool...but after one too many rainy days moisture got in and slowly deteriorated the light. He said unless its a vacuum seal...no amount of silicone with save the lights. You're only buying time.

^^^worse news I have heard in a while. Looks like I gotta retain the stock look...maybe just changing the bulbs will be cool enough.

Edited by Adriftoc

Ahhhh I see, thanks Doc!

FYI for everyone that this applies to; turn signals for 06 and 08 Legacies are apparently different, though I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

06's have 3157 for turn signals

08's have 3457's for turn signals