LegacyGT.com

Finally a DIY front lip!

Spec B

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks icy and TSI.

make you use the wide fat double sided tape. do NOT use the thin cheap ones.. they will not hold all the way across.

when sticking the tape on, make sure stick it to the foam/rubber lip first. CLEAN the underside of your car with soap and water. when lining it to your bumper, try to get it to the way edge of the bumper and do this slowly using your finger to line it up smoothly. if you miss the edge or make even the slightest off-edged stick, it will ruin the whole look. trust me, i've done this three times. because it's so low to the ground and the lighting will hit from top to bottom, it will show with the shadowing.

try to do it smoothly and take your time. it's only a 10 minute job, but if you don't do it right, it can take forever.

in the end, it's very worth it. i love the look of it. clean, simple, subtle, but gives you car a nice little agressive edge.

Thanks for those valuable tips!!!

I'll likely do this when the weather changes a bit - I love the 3M tape, but it doesn't tend to "cure" well in the low temperatures that we see here, and I also don't want to expose it to too-rough weather during that initial-bonding period.

Thanks yet again!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

no problem.

i did the diy lip when it was about 30 degrees out. it's not too bad. it stuck well as soon as i attached it to the bumper and when i gave a little tug/yank at it, it didn't budge.

3m tape is awesome. ohyeah and it snowed the day after i put it on and it still hasn't fallen off. so it's definitely strong enough to hold the lip on there throughout any nasty weather or bad conditions

^ OK, you've talked me into it. :)

I'm going to try to petition the wife to entertain The-Anna-Monster for a half-hour this weekend, so I can get this done. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I also just finished my install of said DIY lip and really like to results. The only differences that I did were painting the rubber with Krylon plastic specific paint in the hopes of matching the shine of my OBP Wagon, placing the lip just over the bend in the front edge of the bumper and rounding the cut ends to make the line a bit less drastic. I really like the look and for ~$10 in parts...it can't be beat. Plus, if I put a real lip on, I'll destroy it in less then 2 days.

I'll post up some pics ASAP.

nice, i'm not a big fan of the shiny look, but looks better on your car.

i like the dull flat look on mine. i just did it for a slight edge and nothing too flashy.

tsi - how's anna been? still make crazy faces and noises? haha haven't been on org in a while.. actually haven't been on here too much lately either.

^ +1 on the "shiny look," but also a big +1 on it looking nice on an OBP. That's great!

---

aaronlee - Thanks for askin! :) She's a two-year-old terror, now. :lol:

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get a funny one, as usual. :lol:

my friend with an sti used the same material as what i used.

the foam garage seal.. i think it looks better than that one.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/2231661851_e456bf3f4f_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2235/2232454008_d75a786a86_b.jpg

So is it surface applied in this example? I think that looks really good.

Just finished.

It took me about 5 minutes to apply the tape to the rubber weatherstrip. This was a little more difficult than I'd originally anticipated, since the tape really didn't like sticking to the rubber. In retrospect, I should have prep'ed the weatherstrip with alcohol, too.

The night before, I'd pre-prep'ed the underside the vehicle by cleaning with spray-cleaner (2x) and then the Eagle waterless wash spray (following with a rinse using, again, the spray cleaner). I'd then cleaned the area with high-grade ethanol, using a microfiber cloth. This afternoon, before install, I'd finalized with another alcohol wipe.

The tape bonded really fast to the bumper skin, despite temperatures being in the mid-30s. I was actually surprised at the ferocity of the bond, even though I'd used this tape many, many times before, on various projects.

Aside from this little hickup, the only difficulty I'd encountered was the positioning of the strip on the second side, near the fog-light area's surface contour. Both the tape as well as the weatherstrip, as I understood from having "mocked up" the install yesterday evening, easily rounded the corners.

I finalized the installation with some self-taping trim screws as well as smaller self-taping machine screws. I'll more than likely run a bead of black silicone adhesive to even better visually "fill" the space between the weatherstrip and the bumper skin - as it stands now, if I were to get on the same plane as this area (really low) and get really close, I can see the gray 3M tape peeking out. On a silver/gray car, this would be virtually un-noticeable, though.

Currently, time-spent is about a half-hour, total. Cost is about $20, including weatherstrip, tape, and hardware.

I've taken her up to highway speeds already. No concerns, at this early time, of "wind permeation." :)

I love the way it looks.

Will-do ASAP, but y'all will have to live with a *really* dirty APB..... :redface:

thanks icy and TSI.

make you use the wide fat double sided tape. do NOT use the thin cheap ones.. they will not hold all the way across.

when sticking the tape on, make sure stick it to the foam/rubber lip first. CLEAN the underside of your car with soap and water. when lining it to your bumper, try to get it to the way edge of the bumper and do this slowly using your finger to line it up smoothly. if you miss the edge or make even the slightest off-edged stick, it will ruin the whole look. trust me, i've done this three times. because it's so low to the ground and the lighting will hit from top to bottom, it will show with the shadowing.

try to do it smoothly and take your time. it's only a 10 minute job, but if you don't do it right, it can take forever.

in the end, it's very worth it. i love the look of it. clean, simple, subtle, but gives you car a nice little agressive edge.

i already posted it up after he asked for it..

thanks on the comment too! heh heh. yeah i dumped so much money on my car already.. but soooo much more i want still. :spin:

my version

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/androofoo/IMAGE_00192.jpg

i did the same thing, with different materials

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00899.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00902.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00920.jpg

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Archived