LegacyGT.com

Finally a DIY front lip!

Spec B

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
finally got my attached. I like it. It is only temporarly attached for the moment with the 3M red lined double backed tape. Will do a better attachment to the bumper soon.

100_5012.JPG.5f62146e0bff0e0a65ba9dd196237120.JPG

100_5013.thumb.jpg.962ffcbe69c874b77ff4086f1a12d2d9.jpg

100_5015.thumb.jpg.9eb0fb28dc60560f2426161effe5195e.jpg

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

OK, here's what I have so far:

I used the foam garage door molding to create an underlip in the recessed section of the bottom middle of the bumper. This is so that when I attach the main lip, it will go across in a straight line. The attachments show the prepared underlip, detail of the front of the car up close showing the underlip, then a couple of shots with better lighting. You barely notice the underlip at all. As I mentioned, it really serves no functional or aesthetic purpose other than to prepare the bumper for the main lip.

I also included a picture of the package of the lip material I found and a close-up of the material itself. For reference, it's 4" wide. It is a beautiful, satin-surfaced charcoal color complete with tiny metallic flecks. The downside is that the stuff is pretty un-pliable when it's cold. So I built a jig with the 2-D shape of the front bumper and I'm going to form the correct length of this stuff into the right shape using the jig and a heat gun. If I get it right, though, it's going to be gorgeous.

2006678724_underlipprepared.jpg.397e6371528359609244bbfcd70434b8.jpg

923598163_underliptape.jpg.d68633d70ccf89ddc6a24a26a6b35387.jpg

607594744_frontclose.jpg.cf38843a55193fd39e159d8b3eb74ee1.jpg

1456622577_lipmaterialdetail.jpg.0d631b3398afabe1de2b1173bf8edfdd.jpg

1261177845_lipmaterial.jpg.8ccbf09a63094fba7812585e5fe9fbf5.jpg

underlip.jpg.d715523581d2ad2803214f0c288c72e8.jpg

1660749447_wholefront.jpg.b6bcfa08ee1bc1b2bf508b0e91eb67ed.jpg

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

leggtnut Wow!! That looks GREAT!!! Very macho/butch!!! :D

---

DukeTrout Geez, that looks like a *lot* of effort..... :p;) I agree with what your wife says about you. :lol:

Lookin' good! Can't wait to see your "straight across" final product!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Sweet, you could always let the material sit over a heat register as well to allow it to soften up. That would help in installation. That's if you're not in a hurry and get let it warm up overnight or something. Then put it on the next day.

Here's the picture packaging of the material i picked up at local autozone:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00945.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00946.jpg

it was in the section alone with the 3m double sided tape section.

I simply used the double sided tape that already comes in the back of the weather strip, i added extra double sided tape on the edges of the lip, curves, and in the middle, simply making sure it holds. Furthermore, i used some the the left over silicone i used when i cleared my headlights to cover up the gaps between the lip and the weatherstrip at the back of the front lip just to simply make sure it holds, but i guess it also prevents water from getting in the cracks

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00966.jpg

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00966.jpg

Looks great. I love the look of your car all together. What is that on your headlight corners? Looks very european! I dig it!

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

i did the same thing, with different materials

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00899.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00902.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00920.jpg

More info?

yes please. i understand what you bought for the most part, but how did you get it perfectly shaped for the lil recession in our bumpers. BTW...i love DIY jobs, thats what my stereo install really is, but this is hot. Ive been wanting a lip but hate the idea of 400 dollars and then scratching it in the various 20 parking lots at Stony Brook University.

Let me get this straight...you used that weather stripping to fill the reccessed section and then ontop of that used that DIY garage sealer strip around the base of the bumper?

BUMPER

WEATHER STRIPPING

GARAGE SEALER-DIY LIP MATERIAL

and all three layers are held together with a variety of 3m double sided tape and self tapping screws, right?

HANGER PLEASE RIGHT A WALK THROUGH

Sweet, you could always let the material sit over a heat register as well to allow it to soften up. That would help in installation. That's if you're not in a hurry and get let it warm up overnight or something. Then put it on the next day.

Unfortunately, I don't have an 8 ft long heat register. :lol: Part of the challenge with this piece is that it is so long that it is clunky to handle without marring the surface.

Whoa buddy, Hanger has a RBS front lip that he added weather stripping to the bottom of. A few posts back A.LIM added garage sealer to the bottom of his RBS lip, both options much nicer than the basic DIY lip, because they bought a RBS lip to start with and added on.

DUKETROUT on the other hand is in the process of filling the recessed part with garage sealant and building a lip on top of this, i dont think he has final pics of that yet though.

Myself and quite a few others have just the garage sealant lip on our cars, with a total $ value of 10.00. There a pics on page 10 or 11.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Let me get this straight...you used that weather stripping to fill the reccessed section and then ontop of that used that DIY garage sealer strip around the base of the bumper?

BUMPER

WEATHER STRIPPING

GARAGE SEALER-DIY LIP MATERIAL

and all three layers are held together with a variety of 3m double sided tape and self tapping screws, right?

HANGER PLEASE RIGHT A WALK THROUGH

Looks great. I love the look of your car all together. What is that on your headlight corners? Looks very european! I dig it!

Thanks for the compliments bskey, i loved your car too ;)

that is the new Mirage eyeline from Emotion-Fukora, for more details hit up HKC-Speed.com

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

ok so i bought it but looking at all these pics im still confused as to what part faces forward and what part is hidden behind the lip, as well as which side does the bolt go through.

http://illuminations.nctm.org/Lessons/AreaForms/Trapezoid1.jpg

Unfortunetly this is the best picture i could find of a what a cross section of this stuff looks/resembles. Would the front/exposed side be the left or the right side of this picture?

and through the top of the trapazoid is the part that gets attached directly to the bumper?

It's about 31 inches. The foam stuff stretches, so you might be better off leaving it a little bit short and putting it on halfway, then stretching it to make it even on the other half. That's going to be easier to do that trim a piece that is a little long after it adheres to the bumper.

Archived