LegacyGT.com

Daniel Stern Lighting and Subaru headlight options

f1anatic

Any of you with Osram Rallys having them 2 years+

Did you notice the light turning yellower ? not that the light output is bad, but compared to my brand new 65W Narvas in the Forester, my 2 y old Osram light output is yellow

By the way, the Narvas do not have that grey painted dome just clear glass

Really hard for me to tell since I'm also running the Tungsram 55w fogs.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

........I do however still want to be able to shut off the low beams altogether and turn on the fogs when it is foggy and snowy. The fog light mod requires that DRLs be disabled. :(

In my '05, I can run the fogs with my DRLs, if I find the full power low beams creating too much back scatter in the fog or falling snow.

• 3 weeks later...

2yrs, 1month, 43Kmiles

That's how long the Osram Rallye 65W low beam lasted. Passenger side burned out yesterday.

I'd say I'm happy with that:)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

^ Not bad at all.

What was the track-record on your stockers, or other replacements?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Not bad at all.

What was the track-record on your stockers, or other replacements?

I de-drl'd early on. Stockers were replaced(working) with the Rallye's @ 21K miles. New Rallyes's in at 64K.

Ha ha ha .... good thing you ordered those Osrams.

Yesterday morning I was writing on another forum on the subject of backing up the computer and how I still do all my backups to DVDs because even those i mirror my hard drives (C for program files and H for documents on D (500Gb) while maintaining an E (multimedia) drive) because i do not trust my hard drives... !DUH my BACK UP hard drive failed. How fun was that !

Ha ha ha .... good thing you ordered those Osrams.

Yeah, it was one of the first times my wife was actually happy that I'd planned ahead and spent money early:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Anyone have any information about better reverse lights for the wagons?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Anyone have any information about better reverse lights for the wagons?

What are you trying to accomplish by having "better reverse lights"?

R U actually trying to *SEE* with this lighting? If so, no can do. As you probably realise, "reverse lights" are simply a signal to those behind you that you intend to put the vehicle into motion towards them. They're not actually intended to allow you better vision or *illuminate* the area behind the vehicle.

If you're trying to *illuminate* the area behind the vehicle, the only thing I can think of are small, auxillary "driving" lights - either wired to come on via the reverse lamp switch circuit - or a separate, manually-operated toggle switch - - - but be VERY careful if you do this as accidentally activating ANY reverse lighting while the car is in forward motion makes for a dangerous situation to those behind you!!! It's also be illegal in every state I know of to have "reverse lights" on when the car is in forward motion - and Officer Friendly will pull you over in a flash!!!!!!

I believe the automobile lighting codes also dictate that any lighting used to indicate "reverse motion" must be white in colour, too.

If you're simply trying to *see* behind the vehicle a little better, a simple license-plate frame-mount camera will do the trick. In Rockville, MD? Hit a local Wal-Mart or discount auto supply store. They're 70-100 bucks - minus installation - which is pretty easy and straight-forward. Some are even wireless except for the 12VDC power tap - which you get from the existing back-up light circuit. Pop the car into reverse and the camera comes on and your dash-mount display lights up ... and you can see if anyone left a bicycle lying down behind your Sube estate (wagon).

Regards,

Edited by SubieDoobieDoo
typo

His company has awesome shipping times. I ordered Osram Rallyes today with UPS Ground and my already activated tracking code says its coming in under 24hrs. That's good shipping.

Edit: Its been almost 2 weeks and the Osram Ralle 65W bulbs are great. I'm curious though, would i see a HUGE improvement if i swapped my PIAA Extreme White (Cool Blue maybe? Its got a blue tint on the tip) 65W with an HIR bulb--high beams

Edited by dwiens87

• 4 weeks later...

"Mines" offers some highly questionable advice - twice:

no need for the high beams

how often do you use ur high beams? If you barely use them than you dont need them.

====================

If you live in a city, county or state that has mandatory vehicle inspections, you will FAIL w/o properly-operating low *and* HIGH beams.

Go ahead, take twice the time and possibly twice the cost to pass a simple mechanical / electrical inspection - your choice.

Rgds,

What are you trying to accomplish by having "better reverse lights"?

R U actually trying to *SEE* with this lighting? If so, no can do. As you probably realise, "reverse lights" are simply a signal to those behind you that you intend to put the vehicle into motion towards them. They're not actually intended to allow you better vision or *illuminate* the area behind the vehicle.

Try taping over your reverse lights, and backing up in pitch darkness.

Good luck.

If you're simply trying to *see* behind the vehicle a little better, a simple license-plate frame-mount camera will do the trick.

Unless the camera utilizes "night-vision"/low-light amplification of some sort, again, it'll be totally dependent on ambient lighting.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
just wanted to point out that the Osram 65W H7 bulbs mentioned in the first post is on sale at www.candlepowerinc.com for $19.99. They're normally $26 or so I think.

:whore:

I picked up some of those Osram and a new set of the recommended high beams (yes I use my high beams). I am happy with the improvement on both the low & high beams.

I hope to see the longevity in these bulbs that others are reporting. I was replacing my stockers on an annual basis.

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 month later...

I have an 09 OB XT and according to the Osram Sylvania Lamp Replacement guide, I have H7 low-beams and 9005 high-beams which according to OP I can switch straight out for the Rallye 65W and HIR1s. However, the guide also says that my fog/driving lights are 9006 which I think are not swappable with the H3 Gold's suggested in OP. Am I right in this? If so, what can I swap my fogs for and what would you guys recommend?

I want to place my order ASAP so advice would be greatly appreciated.

There's a simple 9011/9012 (HIR1/HIR2) modification, it just involves trimming of the tabs and cutting the inside guide rail. :)

Ordered the Rallye's and HIR1s for the low and full beams, held off on foggies for now. Any suggestions what to do with original lights as the car is only 500 miles old??? Keep them for spares or do you think there would be interest in these hardly used OEM bulbs??? Edited by exsterminator

There's a simple 9011/9012 (HIR1/HIR2) modification, it just involves trimming of the tabs and cutting the inside guide rail. :)

yeah, and also it's about 10W more so it'll suck a bit more juice.

here's what i found on a quick google:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting/65531-diy-convert-9005-bulb-fit-9006-harness-increase-visibility.html