LegacyGT.com

Daniel Stern Lighting and Subaru headlight options

f1anatic

^ But the extra light is definitely welcome. :)

Spares.

^ +1.

I carry a full set of spares in my trunk. They're lightweight, and don't take up much space. Just be sure to properly label them. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I've got enough "sponsor vinyls" underhood to compensate!

Bah, it's not like I'll ever beat teh SpecB or teh SRT4, anyway!

:lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ They're good. Very good. :) You'll want to take the 10 minutes to do the change, if you routinely use your high-beams on your night travels.

i ordered hi beam HIR's as well but never got around to put them on the car. I wonder how worthy are they?

They are a fantastic upgrade vs the amount of effort you have to put in.

Do it. Do it now!

+1000000

x1000000

well, maybe not x1000000, but definitely x100000

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
that's strange. i found the low beam difference to be huuuuge compared to high beams. low beams you're going from about 1500 lumens to 2100. high beams only from 2000 to 2400. (these numbers are off the top of my head. actual figures i think are in the first post of this thread)

^ The actual figures are a bit away from what you recalled. ;) The overall figures actually favors the high-beams - but I honestly think that the numbers only tell less than half the story - as these measurement figures do require a certain "distance-from" to be quoted, and also, what we perceive may be somewhat different, too.

Given the larger reflector dish of the high-beam and its wider "dispersal" than the low-beams, I think that's what makes the some 100-odd lumen difference seem to be so much more in favor of the HIR high-beams.

This is the same kind of effect I see with the 65-watt H9 retrofit into the low-beams of my wife's '09 FXT. The higher seating position aside, her setup just throws so much more light than the H7 +65 solution with our LGTs.

Oops, yeah, my bad. There it is.

Stock H7 - 1400

Osram - 2100

Stock 9005 - 1700

HIR1 - 2530

I have no idea how I got the numbers mixed up that badly for the high beams. :) But still, it felt like the low beams made a bigger difference for me. On the other hand, I can see how would feel that the highbeams make such a larger difference considering the highbeams are aimed higher, so it's more "in your face" light.

^ Heck, who can quote those numbers without looking! :) Don't be so hard on yourself! :)

I think, to a degree, "what we see," as individuals, is different.

For me, the HIR high-beams makes more of a difference, but it could very well be because I under-appreciate what the +65 solution has to offer, due to the fact that ambient lighting is rather bright in my area (city/dense-suburb).

Sorry if this had been posted, I didn't read all 30+ pages of the thread. Have there been any issues with the HIR's or +65 bulbs melting, or discoloring the reflectors or housings? I used to run brighter bulbs in my BE and it discolored both the headlight reflector and the fogs :icon_frow

Sorry if this had been posted, I didn't read all 30+ pages of the thread. Have there been any issues with the HIR's or +65 bulbs melting, or discoloring the reflectors or housings? I used to run brighter bulbs in my BE and it discolored both the headlight reflector and the fogs :icon_frow
Only if you're a dummy like me and cover the light with a cloth while aiming. But then again, it probably would've melted with the stock bulb too. Don't cover your lights with a cloth!

Here's something from my conversation with Daniel Stern that I had not seen in this thread yet, hopefully it's not a repost:

"One not-very-well-publicised trick for improving your seeing in bad weather with those headlamps is to remove the low beam headlamp bulbs and find the stamped "awning" plate protruding rearward from the vertical metal cutoff plate that blocks roughly the lower half of the view forward through the bulb hole. Use something clean and grippy (eraser end of a

brand-new pencil, for instance) to reach forward through the bulb hole and push/fold that awning down so it covers more of the "window" slot in the lower portion of the cutoff plate (you can see the slot, albeit with optical distortion, if you kneel down in front of the headlamp and peer carefully through its front lens). It is not necessary for the awning to be folded so it's flat up against the slot, just bend it down most of the way. This will greatly reduce the amount of light thrown upward by the low beams. You'll still be able to read overhead signs, but there'll be much less backscatter."

I did not get this done when I did my install, I couldn't get a clear view/access that far into the headlight housing without removing the complete airbox and battery, or it's possible you would have to pull the headlights out completely to do this. Neat idea though, down the road when I have more spare time I might try it out.

anybody have pictures of what their new bulbs look like, whichever they are? I'm just curious the difference and the color....I prefer the white look vs. stock. If you have before/after pictures can you post them? Also, what kind of lights are you running. Before I buy them I'd like to see them yah know. Anyone know which would give me the most light also giving me the white look?

anybody have pictures of what their new bulbs look like, whichever they are? I'm just curious the difference and the color....I prefer the white look vs. stock. If you have before/after pictures can you post them? Also, what kind of lights are you running. Before I buy them I'd like to see them yah know. Anyone know which would give me the most light also giving me the white look?

I actually took this last night.

Osram +65 Rallye Bulbs Low's

HIR1 High's

About 20-25 Feet from wall.

Wish I had a photo of the distance the lights throw now but I don't.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/DSC_9883.jpg

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

wow, that's really bright...does it look like a standard bulb just brighter, or does it have to white look. It looks like the white look to me but you would know better. Would you say it's worth it to buy them now that you have them? Thanks for the picture...looks great.

^ Neither the +65 Rallye nor the HIR are exceptionally "white."

If you're looking for "white," either the Sylvania Silverstar or, possibly, the Phillips NightBreaker.

The problem is that to get "white," the bulb will be coated - and that will take away some absolute lighting....which can be compensated for by burning the filament hotter, but that will decrease lifespan.

There's never anything for free. ;) Always a trade-off.