LegacyGT.com

Daniel Stern Lighting and Subaru headlight options

f1anatic

^ No problem. :)

It's probably possible to win it all - if you're willing to go with a higher wattage solution of a coated bulb.

That should return with OEM-or-better level of "brightness," along with the color that you need.

....but even then, the lifespan of the bulb would still be in question.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused:I just went to replace my fog light bulbs when I ran into a problem. I ordered from Candlepower as reccomended by Daniel Stern. The highs and lows were fine, but the upgrade for the fog lights just doesen't seem right. The base is completely different from the original. The original is 12V-55W H3. The replacement reccomended by DS is H3 Osram Night Breaker + 90 Ultra High Output 55W.

Is it me? Has anyone had this problem? Is it a problem. Do I have to do some modification? The Night breaker also has a white wire coming out it. Help!

Edited by btillfan1948
Additional info.

^ As-usual, thank you. :)

Looks like the Night Breakers as well as the Osram SilverStars are showing their age....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Yep, I saw that one (as well as the SPAM ones :lol:) - can't help but be cynical...having "ringers" for testing isn't academic, in the automotive world. :(

^ I think that'll depend on if/how their engineers do, with thermal management - including "forward" issues (i.e. weather concerns...did you read that Yahoo News link last week, about those traffic signal incidents? my wife was like "hey, check this out, you talked to me about this a while ago, I guess you're not stupid, after all! :lol::redface:...I thought that they'd have taken that into account, my musings to her were more along the lines of "I wonder what they did to insure it wouldn't snow/ice-crust over" - guess not! :eek:).

Link to the Yahoo story? I tried searching with Yahoo...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Low beams: H7 Osram 65W Ralleye bullbs. Just make sure if you're aiming your lights, you do NOT cover the headlights with a cloth. It'll overheat and melt. I learned that the hard way. ;)

High beams: HIR1 still, yep. They might call it a 9011 HIR or something but it's the same. You'll have to cut a bit of the plastic off to make it fit.

Fogs: I don't think it really makes a huge difference. Our fog lights sort of... well... .suck, no matter what. ;)

You don't need to worry about relays. The Rallyes are plug and play, no mods needed.

For fogs, I'd go with some good selective yellow bulbs. Dan Stern used to carry Tungsram Gold. Tungsram has been purchased by GE and I think they sell them as GE Tungsram Gold. If you can't find those, I think Dan still has CPI Gold bulbs which are the same. Any good quality selective yellow bulbs will do it.

Thanks iNVAR

H7 Osram 65W Ralleye bulbs orders; CandlePower, Inc. has them on sale for $19.99 each............

Be sure to visit http://www.candlepowerinc and not http://www.candlepower. The latter will take you to what appears to be a fake site. When you enter the web store from http://www.candlepower, at the point where credit card info is to be entered, no security icon is displayed, and no "https" is displayed.

I ordered a pair of spare Toshiba 9011 HIR1 bulbs, as the manufacturer has discontinued them.

They are the same site.

Whois information for candlepower.com

Registrant:

Candlepower Inc.

14626 Southlawn Lane

Rockville, MD 20850-1317

US

Domain Name: CANDLEPOWER.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

Candlepower Inc. http://source.domaintools.com/email.pgif?md5=86a7c71823af5ddf843feec5098096c8&face=arial&size=9&color=000000&bgcolor=FFFFFF&face=arial&size=9&color=0000FF&bgcolor=FFFFFF&format%5B%5D=underline&format%5B%5D=transparent&format%5B%5D=transparent

14626 Southlawn Lane

Rockville, MD 20850-1317

US

999 999 9999

Record expires on 29-Sep-2012.

Record created on 30-Sep-1996.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS95.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.190.48

NS96.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.144.48

Whois information for candlepowerinc.com

Registrant:

Candlepower Inc.

14626 Southlawn Lane

Rockville, MD 20850-1317

US

Domain Name: CANDLEPOWERINC.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

Franklin, K http://source.domaintools.com/email.pgif?md5=86a7c71823af5ddf843feec5098096c8&face=arial&size=9&color=000000&bgcolor=FFFFFF&face=arial&size=9&color=0000FF&bgcolor=FFFFFF&format%5B%5D=underline&format%5B%5D=transparent&format%5B%5D=transparent

Candlepower Inc.

14626 Southlawn Lane

Rockville, MD 20850

US

301-340-0224 fax: 301-762-2518

Record expires on 25-May-2010.

Record created on 26-May-1998.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.NBINTERACTIVE.COM

NS2.NBINTERACTIVE.COM