LegacyGT.com

Re960 A/s?

LawGT

you get the prorate for premature wear anyway...that's part of the tire warranty. i'd only even consider it if they will give you a tire free if it can't be fixed due to a nail or something. $100 for one free flat tire repair and the treadwear that already comes with the tires...no way.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Warranty.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position&tirePageLocQty=

Bridgestone warranty: 5 Years - Free replacement up to 3 yrs. Pro rated 4th and 5th year or to 2/32" remaining tread.

So, this isn't a good deal.

Does the Bridgestone warranty cover potholes, bubbles etcetera? Also, how can I get it?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did buy the road hazard warranty for my WRX from firestone although $68 but tires were less than LGT due to smaller size. Its three years and as long as tires still have useable wear they will pay to replace the tire. The better thing about is that if the remaining three tires are not within wear spec they'll replace those too.

• 2 weeks later...
Great thread guyz!! This is the exact info I was looking for ;) .....my wifes 05 LGT needs tires and I was looking at these several months back and now I'm confident enought to pull the trigger......quick question, I see where some have went with the 225 instead of 215, has that made much of a difference??

I went 225, I cant really tell the difference at this point but im sure it helps in dry weather cornering, which is awesome.

I also havent noticed the tramlining effect anymore since I havent travelled on that windy highway in awhile.

Great thread guyz!! This is the exact info I was looking for ;) .....my wifes 05 LGT needs tires and I was looking at these several months back and now I'm confident enought to pull the trigger......quick question, I see where some have went with the 225 instead of 215, has that made much of a difference??

There's very little disadvantage going to 225. The sidewall will be a touch taller (1/2 in total, 1/4 in higher ride height), the speedo, which runs a little slower than the car's speed stock, will be more accurate, the ride will have a touch more smoothness, and your rims will be better protected.

Overall, it's a good choice. The only reason not to do this is if you want a very stiff sidewall and sharp turn-in - i.e, for autocrossing.

G/L

RE960's are a narrow 225. sectional width is almost exact to that of the 215 RE92's (on a 7" rim). The sidewall however is a tad wider. Not enough to notice. I would say that vibration from hitting rough stuff has improved about 15% due to the taller sidewalls.

I'm very satisfied going to 225's. I feel that the ride is DRAMATICALLY improved over the re92's. It rides much more smoothly. For those who like a sttiffer ride (or plan to auto x), just bump up the pressures and the ride firms up accordingly. Also, Han is right, these 225's are "narrow," and don't really bulge out of the stock wheel.

There's very little disadvantage going to 225. The sidewall will be a touch taller (1/2 in total, 1/4 in higher ride height), the speedo, which runs a little slower than the car's speed stock, will be more accurate, the ride will have a touch more smoothness, and your rims will be better protected.

Overall, it's a good choice. The only reason not to do this is if you want a very stiff sidewall and sharp turn-in - i.e, for autocrossing.

G/L

Ahh that explains why my car looks "lower" on my iONs than it did with the re92s, another bonus! :)

Got the 225 last week and they are AWESOME! Excellent tire in the rain as well as the dry weather. A lot of improvement over the RE92s. +1 on getting these tires. I went through tire rack and got the warranty. Grand total was under $700 for all four tires, warranty, and installation. I'm very satisfied. :D

Installed some RE960s in stock size (215/45/17) and have driven about 300 miles. So far, very impressed. I love the smoother ride. It feels like a major suspension upgrade. Grip is great and no more worries about wet roads. I have noticed some side to side motion though, but I remember having this with the RE92s when my car was new. I'll check pressures and wait to rack up more miles to see if it improves. Definitely worth the dough!

{Riding on iON springs, stock struts and Swift sways}

After talking to Tire Rack for a while I decided to go with the 225's. The added protection for the wheels is nice, and the less steering entering a corner with less push at the exit is really nice. I have noticed a little flat spotting, but I think every tire I have owned did that. I just did my first rotation and need to get them rebalanced. Other than that I really like these tires, even in the winter.

________

Gang bang video

Guys, the tires are going to change a lot - hold off on your initial reviews. Either wait to post about them or make sure you come back and re-review the tires after you have several k mi on them.

I for one am interested in two categories in future writeups - First, how do they perform during the hot weather, both on single occasions (ultimate grip?) and over the course of the summer (how much do they lose?). Second, how are they in the wet - both conditions again, but especially after they get a little harder with the wear.

Another request - make sure you come back to this thread and re-review the tire after your second winter driving them. A big prob with many all seasons is that their second winter is noticably worse than the first - because they harden during the summer.

Thanks for the reviews - keep them coming!

Threads like this one, and the sticky (as long as its kept on topic so peeps dont have to read through bickering) are exceptionally valuable for the community to learn about rubber.

The old A4.org and now audiworld wheel&tire forum was by far the best place to learn about which tires were good and bad - lets hope this forum catches up.

Just keep in mind that new tire performance doesnt really say much about how good a tire is, and post about your tires as they age, even when you replace them. If you capture your thoughts at that time, trying to be as objective as possible, everyone benefits a great deal.

Tire shopping farking sucks because there is so little info - just advertising, and you cant figure out anything at all about different tires, so we really need this kind of documentation to help _everybody_ figure out what tires to get.

Tantal, how long do you think it might take to notice a change due to age? I have around 7k on them but it hasn't warmed up here for more than a couple days. I think spring is somewhere.........mother nature is a real mother........

________

Video reviews

Tantal, how long do you think it might take to notice a change due to age? I have around 7k on them but it hasn't warmed up here for more than a couple days. I think spring is somewhere.........mother nature is a real mother........

In what regard? Winter performance after summer? If that's what you mean, the whole summer. A few warm days/weeks means bupkis :lol: If not, I dont know what you're asking

What I meant was after a month of hot weather, will there be a wet or dry performance loss, will it take three months to notice a difference. I understand that aging of rubber is a continual process, but how long of hot weather until a difference in hot weather performance would be noticed? Or am I being too anal? I have been told that before........:eek:

________

MARIJUANA MEDICAL

What I meant was after a month of hot weather, will there be a wet or dry performance loss, will it take three months to notice a difference. I understand that aging of rubber is a continual process, but how long of hot weather until a difference in hot weather performance would be noticed? Or am I being too anal? I have been told that before........:eek:

Depends upon how hot the conditions are. The tires will certainly be degraded after one summer season depending, of course, upon how severe the temps are. As your tires age and go through daily heat cycles, they will lose their pliability and get noisier. That said, you should be able to get through the first season with good performance, the second with decent, the third with marginal to poor, etc. depending upon conditions. If you run them at night they'll last longer than if they're run primarily in the heat of the day. Slow speeds are easier on them than high speeds.

It's all about compromise. Get a tire with a long tread life and they'll always be stiff. Get a sticky tire and they'll lose their rubber on the road. One good for heat will suck in the winter. One dood for dry will be a liability in wet. And so on and so on...

• 2 months later...
After talking to Tire Rack for a while I decided to go with the 225's. The added protection for the wheels is nice, and the less steering entering a corner with less push at the exit is really nice. I have noticed a little flat spotting, but I think every tire I have owned did that. I just did my first rotation and need to get them rebalanced. Other than that I really like these tires, even in the winter.

For those of you that go with TIRE RACK where do you get the tires mounted?

Who does your balance and rotation every 5k?

I like their info, selection, and pricing, but I always went with a tire shop because they take care of me. Flat reparis, regular balancing, etc etc.

Just curious....

And also it seems that Tire Rack has recommended most go with the 225...

that's also interesting....

I'd love to see both 215 and 225 on the 18" rim...

I also don't want to mess up my speedo....its good to know the answer to the quesiton when you're asked "DO YOU KNOW HOW FAST YOU WERE GOING"

I hated giving the lame resposne...NO...UH...my speedo is off because I have aftermarket rims and tires.....:)

I got mine at discount tire (DT) precisely for the questions you asked. DT matched the tire rack price, mounting was included, in addition to free rotations, balancing and repairs for life. The free rotations and balancing is enough for me to justify buying tires at the DT brick and mortar store...

I got mine at Big O in santa cruz and they are a tire rack installer and found out that it was less expensive at the store than tire rack because of what LawGT states, rotations, balancing, and road hazard with the tire, no shipping, etc...

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I got mine at discount tire (DT) precisely for the questions you asked. DT matched the tire rack price, mounting was included, in addition to free rotations, balancing and repairs for life. The free rotations and balancing is enough for me to justify buying tires at the DT brick and mortar store...

LawGT,

Thanks for the info.

I think the store you're talking about is called America's Tire Co out here on the West Coast. If you go to their web site www.tires.com you'll see both names.

Actually I am impressed. DT/AT co. are a dollar chepaer than Tire Rack for the exact size and styel I'm looking at (225/45/18 RE960s).

In addition if you use the Car Care Credit Card through DT/AT co then they will give you an additional 50 or 100 off depending on the total price of the sale.

Plus I think they don't charge interest for the first 6 months.

I'm doing it just to get the additional money off the tires.

I'm opting out fo the hazard free replacement stuff which is 92 bucks.

If after 20k miles I blow a tire out and it can't be fixed I wouldn't be able to just throw a new one on anyways.

Depending on how much tread is left I might order ONE from tire rack and have them perform their tire shave to match the tread left on my other tires.

Again, depends on how much tread is left whether I'll have to buy all four tires or not but as you all know with the AWD system they ahve to be within .25" of each other.

Thanks for the info!

Now I have to wait for my other thread about tire sizes.

I'm asking about 215/45/18 vs 225/45/18...but now I also thought about 225/40/18.... so I have more research to do.......

once I decide on the size I can order... I doubt the tire store has these sitting around...but you never know.....

Archived