LegacyGT.com

Re960 A/s?

LawGT

After I said on here that I bought the 960's for all the rain that we get and that we hardly ever get snow, Vancouver gets a snow storm and dumps about a foot of snow on us. Is that karma or what. :)

I have driven every type of road condition in the last few days (deep snow, packed snow, slush and solid ice) and I am still impressed with these tires and my wagon. I realize that these are NOT snow tires and the lateral traction and braking distances will not be as good as a dedicated snow tire, but these still felt pretty solid.

The combination of these tires and the AWD really make it a blast to drive in the snow, steep hills are a breeze. These tires really excel when there is enough salt on the main roads and it is a bit slushy, just amazing traction.

It's -9 C in Vancouver right now with more snow coming, glad I got rid of the RE92s.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... no one has any decent information.

What information are you specifically looking for on these tires. I have given some of my impressions on the 3rd page of this thread. Let me know what your looking for and I orothers will probably try to help you out.

Cheers,

Mike

I did read thru. Half the thread is about other tires. And we havent had good snow yet (except for Big Mac who just posted), so no one has any decent information.

Obviously not well enough :icon_wink , since mbcracken had a very nice review of the 960's snow performance while on a 150 mile treck through some mountain passes...

:rtfm: errr..thread ;). just playing...

What information are you specifically looking for on these tires. I have given some of my impressions on the 3rd page of this thread. Let me know what your looking for and I orothers will probably try to help you out.

Cheers,

Mike

I didnt mean to sound condisending. You had a great write up. I am just looking for how these tires perform in deep snow, not slush. Tirerack.com has ratings for these tires in every condition except medium to deep snow. As someone who lives in New England where we measure snow in feet I am looking for more than 2-3" of slush.

Obviously not well enough :icon_wink , since mbcracken had a very nice review of the 960's snow performance while on a 150 mile treck through some mountain passes...

:rtfm: errr..thread ;). just playing...

Yes he had a nice review of slush. Not deep snow. The stock RE92's can handle slush no problem. I'm just looking to make sure that these are great for the deep snow.

Hell PZero Nero's are great all seasons but they have low ratings in snow.

Slush is an extreme that even the decent pure winter tires(snow/ice) have trouble with in my experience. Deep snow you need winter tires but moreover vehicle clearance which is why I think tirerack.com does not rate it.

As someone who lives in New England where we measure snow in feet I am looking for more than 2-3" of slush.

You still are portraying a bit of a condescending attitude. You might want to check the record books for snow accumulation before you start smack talking snow totals between PNW and New England. Google Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker for snow fall totals. They measure in the tens of feets.:icon_mrgr

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/1999/wsnorecd.htm

The most recent snow report from Mt. Baker.

http://www.mtbaker.us/snowreport/

Snow Report

Wed Nov 29, 2006, 6:00 am

New Snowfall : 0 in 0 cm

24 hour Snowfall : 0 in 0 cm

Temperature : 14°F -10°C

Weather : clear

Slope Conditions : packed powder

Base at Heather Meadows : 125 in 318 cm

Base at Pan Dome : 135 in 343 cm

Operation Info : Normal midweek operation out of White Salmon Lodge.

Hours : 9:00 am - 3:30 pm

Other Info

We set a new record this past week for the most snowfall in one storm cycle in Mt. Baker recorded history. We received 8 feet in 5 days and 12 feet of new snow in one storm cycle. This will be a November to remember.

I also feel that dry snow, deep or shallow, is not that difficult to drive in. the worrisome bit is not knowing what lies beneath that layer of snow. Ice and wet snow are where things get slippery.

Cheers,

Mike

If you're going to be consistently driving in deep snow, then buy dedicated snow tires. The 960's do fine in the snow, even the 1 ft of snow that we got on Sunday, but they still won't compare to a snow tire.

If I was in a climate that had significant snow fall during the winter, I would have a set of steel rims and dedicated snow tires.

So g-Force T/A Drag Radial-2's would be a bad choice for the snow? You could REALY get it sideways.... :spin:

Sorry I couldn't resist, hopefuly I'll be getting some white stuf to play in this weekend so I can see how my new 960's work. What are people running for pressures that haven't been posted yet, and what are the thoughts on them? I'm trying 37/33, but it can be in the 20's in the morning and 60's by the time I head home fom work.

________

Matador

You still are portraying a bit of a condescending attitude. You might want to check the record books for snow accumulation before you start smack talking snow totals between PNW and New England. Google Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker for snow fall totals. They measure in the tens of feets.:icon_mrgr

Mike

I missed the one reference you made to Washington State. you dont have a location indicated, so i didnt know where you were from or what your snow conditions were like.

I really dont mean to sound condesending. Im just antsy for some snow! its december and New England is 50+ degrees. (very odd for us).

If you're going to be consistently driving in deep snow, then buy dedicated snow tires. The 960's do fine in the snow, even the 1 ft of snow that we got on Sunday, but they still won't compare to a snow tire.

If I was in a climate that had significant snow fall during the winter, I would have a set of steel rims and dedicated snow tires.

Yea, see that is why I do well w/ the RE92's since we get a Foot or two of snow, but as soon as the 1st flake hits we have salt/sander/plows on the streets so you never drive in more than a few inches on the roads but parking lots could have you driving out of a foot of packed snow so thats where you want good stuff and when I go skiing they dont plow well in the Mts.

you dont have a location indicated, so i didnt know where you were from or what your snow conditions were like.

I really dont mean to sound condesending. Im just antsy for some snow! its december and New England is 50+ degrees. (very odd for us).

Yea, see that is why I do well w/ the RE92's since we get a Foot or two of snow, but as soon as the 1st flake hits we have salt/sander/plows on the streets so you never drive in more than a few inches on the roads but parking lots could have you driving out of a foot of packed snow so thats where you want good stuff and when I go skiing they dont plow well in the Mts.

I forgot to set my location, sorry about that. We too are having weird weather with record precip with +15 inches for November. And we hit a record low of 18 just a couple days ago. I know that is not cold for NE, but the folks here in PNW are just not use to it.

We also have many of the local ski areas open for the last couple weekends. I'm heading up tomorrow for XC and Sunday for Alpine with my daughters & wife.

Cheers,

Mike

Well, the 960's seem to be a VERY impressive tire. Im currently looking for a premium A/S tire to replace the bunny killers. (i fear snow and ice with the RE 92's, I didn't buy an AWD car to baby it in the winter people lol).

I'm have been looking at the Nokian WR's (191 per tire) but tire rack is selling the 960's for 140 per tire and im not sure the Nokian's are worth the (200 dollar in total) price premium.

The 960's have pretty much gotten straight superiors ratings across the board (excellent in light snow).

How many miles could i get out of these tires?

I love my car ... basically.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only have minor (very minor) flat spotting if I get lazy on maintaining the PSI. I run my re960's at 35/fr 37/rear. I got a chance to try them out on a 5 mile long stretch of pure ice road with a little bit of snow on top. They did great. this road had some good ups, downs & corners. I then got a chance to redrive the course on some Michelin X-Ice. Of course the X-Ice handle it better but not as much of a difference as i was expecting. The re960 will take you thru any ice/snow conditions with enough patience.

Cheers,

Mike

Well, I just experienced my first snow with these and my car. I really can?t tell you if the tires made the car handle better or not. But I can tell you that the breaking is not as good as expected. As I said before though, this is the first snow with the car. Acceleration is fun but I knew it would be. I think these tires will work well; I just need to learn how the car acts in snow.

________

Voyeur Videos

I have had the 960 on for about 3K miles.

Dry Grip- much, much more than the RE92's. I have not had these for summer yet so I can't comment on flatspotting.

Wet Grip- an enourmous increase over the RE92's. My confidence has increase in wet cornering.

Light snow- very good, much better than RE92s will less wheel spin on careful first gear engagements.

Overall- I was impressed with the improvements over the RE92s and would recommned the 960s to anyone loooking for a direct OEM replacement.

I have been running the pressure higher than everyone else (39 F, 37 R). I notoced at lower pressure than the sidewall bulges a bit where the contact patch is - looks like the tire is underinflated. Ride quality is harsher at my PSI settings (as expected). Lower pressures like 37-35 feel, to me, like there is significate increased drag. This may be my imagination.

I will continue to play around with pressure to see what is the optimal set up and also keep my eye on this thread.

Oh- road noise is slightly less than RE92s - I do not notice a big difference.

Im pulling the trigger on a set of these tomorrow (225s)

I have 50k kms on teh re92s now and they are done. They have caused me to fishtail a couple times now b/c they are so worn and its so cold out (-30 C) so its no longer worth the risk.

Im looking forward to some tires that wont always feel like they are going to randomly break free while cornering in inclement weather.

Ill post a review after Ive had them awhile.

As an aside has anybody here had there tires filled with Nitrogen?

Im pulling the trigger on a set of these tomorrow (225s)

I have 50k kms on teh re92s now and they are done. They have caused me to fishtail a couple times now b/c they are so worn and its so cold out (-30 C) so its no longer worth the risk.

Im looking forward to some tires that wont always feel like they are going to randomly break free while cornering in inclement weather.

Ill post a review after Ive had them awhile.

As an aside has anybody here had there tires filled with Nitrogen?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50031&highlight=nitrogen

Archived