LegacyGT.com

Re960 A/s?

LawGT

Yeah, I've thought about that too. That it seems like the performance is close to summer tires. The main issue for me is space. I can take the time. Or more likely, have Discount mount em for free (I assume they'd do that if I bought em there). And if I went to dedicated tires, I could still keep the stock wheels (plan on getting aftermarket wheels). It is a bit more money (all said and done, about $700).

Still not sure though. Tires stacked around doesn't exactly spice a garage (or living room) up!

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/images/divano_goodyear.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finally got my tires... after a long wait and some battle with a balance issue that was probably caused by a faulty machine...the tires have been great....

:)

I tried getting the RE960s from tirerack 2 weeks ago and they said there was a nation-wide backorder. The Rep said it could be 8-12 weeks before they get any. :eek: This concerned me since my OEM re92s were pretty low and would not last into the bad weather (NOVA and PA). Anyway, I searched the internet for anyone who had these tires and I came across Discount Tire Direct (DTD). Their Rep said they had at least 200 RE960s in the size I was looking for (225/45x17). Go figure. Their price was $143.00 and $0 for shipping (just that week). That actually saved me a few bucks per tire from tirerack's price.

The beauty of this story is my local Subaru dealer (Sheehy in Springfield, VA) has a wholesale account with Discount Tire, so he ordered the tires and I paid the DTD price ($143 per tire) + install ($20 per tire) + $2 tax per for removal + $50 for alignment + VA tax. All totalled $740.04. :) My cost? ZERO! ;) I paid with Subaru Bucks.

So, if anyone want tires and you live in the NOVA area, call Jim Rocket at Sheehy Subaru parts and see if he would do it for you.

Nice JohnnyT. I was going to go the D.T. route anyway, but you just inspired me to go ahead and make the call just now. D.T. said they have a couple routes to go if they do run into the back order issue. I should have them by next Monday at the latest. My total mounted and balanced is $720 + $40 alignment = $760. Not free like you, but I'm happy w/ that price on a great tire!

Btw, how do you earn Subie bucks?

Btw, how do you earn Subie bucks?

Its a chase MasterCard you apply for (http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=chase+subaru+card&btnG=Google+Search

and basically you get 3% back in $100 increments good for service, parts, new car purchase or payments(through Subaru finance) at a Subaru dealer. The benefit maxes at $500/year.

I have one and get the $500/year making dealer service completely free on our LGT thus far.

Its a chase MasterCard you apply for (http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=chase+subaru+card&btnG=Google+Search

and basically you get 3% back in $100 increments good for service, parts, new car purchase or payments(through Subaru finance) at a Subaru dealer. The benefit maxes at $500/year.

I have one and get the $500/year making dealer service completely free on our LGT thus far.

rjundi summed it up. I use the Subaru MC for everything I buy and then pay it off every month.

I actually have two different Subaru MCs accounts. I use one card until I cap out the $500, then I switch to the other one until that caps out an so on. So far, since last August I earned $900 in Subaru bucks, with $200 left to go on card #2. I got the idea from a guy I met where I got a flat fixed back in Jan. '07. I called Chase and they said I can have as many different accounts as I wanted. I thought two was enough. So, basically I can earn $1000/year instead of $500.

It works great for me! :icon_mrgr

+1 for subie bucks.

Used them for:

Hawk HPS pads

Motul Fluid

JDM/spec b front tophats

spring seats

new UP/DP gaskets

Perrin TMIC

(thekingofparts takes them...they are a dealer)

Wow, I got a pretty good deal on my RE960's than back in March. At the time the Firestone shop had buy 3 get 1 free, plus 10% Bridgestone rebate on the cost of the tires. I also sold my gently used RE92's for $100. I think in the end my 225/45/17 RE960's cost me something like $465 installed.

• 2 weeks later...

In my searching of this thread I've seen different tire pressures used (i.e. 37F/35R, 36F/34R, etc.). I was wondering, now that some of you folks have racked up a bunch of miles on your 960s, how are they wearing at your selected pressures? I ran 37F/35R in my RE92s and the shoulders wore faster than the middle (under infated wear pattern) and there was no problem with the alignment. I'd like to wear my 960s as even as possible. Only have a couple of thousand on them and I'm running 39F/37R.

Any input from your experience would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I ran mine at the recomended pressures for a little while then went to 37/35 which was better. Now that I have several months of driving I tried the recomended pressures again and the car felt very mushy. I have since went back to 37/35.

I went w/ the RE960-AS's btw. Got em a couple weeks ago, but only drove on them for a week. My other set came in soon after and I wanted to try out my new Rota wheels.

Here's Keefe's (screename "Xenonk", tire guru) answer to my question on tire pressure. This seems a bit high to me. Praedet, who researches well, recommended 38/36 all year round. Keefe...........

All numbers measured cold [unless otherwise noted] reading "front/rear":

235/40/18 Toyo T1-R:

Daily driving dry = 44/36

Daily driving wet = 40/34

Track/Autox dry (measure hot)= 44/40

Track/Autox wet (measure hot)= 36/32

225/45/17 RE-960:

Daily driving dry = 42/38

Daily driving wet = 34/30

Daily driving snow = 36/32

Track/Autox dry (measure hot)= 46/42

Track/Autox wet (measure hot)= 34/30

These are ball park numbers +/- 2psi depending on your alignment.

These numbers are generated from my experience with the factor of making sure that the tire can uphold the weight of the car based on the driving conditions up and foremost.

Ballooning a tire (over inflating) or under inflated tire isn't going to do you any good in any of the aspects you are thinking of which includes life, grip, effieciency, and hydroplaning.

• 2 months later...

Winter report:

200 miles on 205/55/16(WRX) with 10k on tires, through a winter storm from Jay Peak Resort VT->Seacoast NH.

I started out stuck in a parking space where the snow was plowed in at bumper level but realized there was ice under the tires. A quick shovel to bust down snow I got right out. The parking lot was about 3-5" of loose snow with some sand intermixed. I had no issues getting moving and stopping was fine.

Overall they do fill their winter aspect in the all-season mix and do really well at stopping. There not winter tires as I did not feel comfortable passing once in the less traveled passing lane on I93S but really did fine. They excelled in the slush as conditions turned more wet as I neared the coast.

I would not buy them for the purpose of a "winter tire" but they fill those shoes. I like on dry days(most of winter) that they are much more pleasurable to drive over my Nokian WR's which excel in those conditions.

First snow of the season:

Not sure how many miles are on these, but this is the second winter for them. NW Ohio

Last winter they were great! We only get one maybe two awesome snows, and these worked great, I had no complaints.

Last night we had 3" or 4" of the fun white stuff. All I have to say is that I unfortunately now have a real nice curb rash on my RR wheel. Now since the city didn't think icemelt or sand was needed and never mind there were a bunch of accidents (I-75 was closed due to an accident) I'm waiting to decide if the snow handling is dramatically worse after a year of wear.

First snow of the season:

Not sure how many miles are on these, but this is the second winter for them. NW Ohio

Last winter they were great! We only get one maybe two awesome snows, and these worked great, I had no complaints.

Last night we had 3" or 4" of the fun white stuff. All I have to say is that I unfortunately now have a real nice curb rash on my RR wheel. Now since the city didn't think icemelt or sand was needed and never mind there were a bunch of accidents (I-75 was closed due to an accident) I'm waiting to decide if the snow handling is dramatically worse after a year of wear.

Just from looking at the 960 tread design (in person), handling snow is not their forte.

Just from looking at the 960 tread design (in person), handling snow is not their forte.

I will say in a side by side comparison in ski slope parking lot with at least 4" of loose snow of an Impreza Wagon(Conti's Extreme) and my WRX Wagon(RE960) the Conti's did better accelerating/getting going from a standstill. However when it came to stopping and lateral traction one was not better than the other. We switched cars and agreed. That being said either don't hold a candle to a winter tire and even the Nokian WR I have owned in the past.

Conti's have a nice price though.

^ But both with be better in the dry than the WR because larger lugs will squirm more. It's all about compromise. Gain in one aspect and lose it in another. I daresay that the 960s are better than the Contis in the dry but as you mentioned the Contis are better in the snow. Because I had the OEM summers, I opted for an A/S with a snow bias for winter use here in Chicagoland urban driving.

One more entry on the RE960 winter conditions,

2" of sleet/snow/slush (eg very slippery). The RE960's on a WRX have no issue getting going with reasonable throttle application. They shine again in braking and have decent lateral traction. The ABS threshold is very high with these tires meaning they have traction.

HEy guys need some advice. I've got 225/45/17 960s on my stockers, but I'm getting Brembos for Christmas. Now I've already bought Prodrive PFF7's 18X8 and I'm thinking of what my next size should be. There is always the ever popular 225/40/18 but I'm inclined to get the 235/40/18 because of all the pothole driving I do in the city. My only concern is that I have the car dropped on JDM GT Bilsteins and GT Pinks. Does anybody have any recommendations with the clearance issues? I should also note that I often carry lots of heavy things in my trunk. (bodies).... just kidding, but I usually load up the top with plywood/sheetrock. Anybody have any experience with this or the often reference fender rolling?

just picked up my re960as yesterday night. LOVE EM!

took them thru some packed snow/ice where it forms alot of bumps along the pavement. a little slip on the ice, but def. a big difference from the stockers. breaking from 40-0 with the snow packed into little speed bumps was not a problem. nice quiet ride too. only gripe is the price - 850ish out the door with warranty at discount tire here in boulder.

brian

HEy guys need some advice. I've got 225/45/17 960s on my stockers, but I'm getting Brembos for Christmas. Now I've already bought Prodrive PFF7's 18X8 and I'm thinking of what my next size should be. There is always the ever popular 225/40/18 but I'm inclined to get the 235/40/18 because of all the pothole driving I do in the city. My only concern is that I have the car dropped on JDM GT Bilsteins and GT Pinks. Does anybody have any recommendations with the clearance issues? I should also note that I often carry lots of heavy things in my trunk. (bodies).... just kidding, but I usually load up the top with plywood/sheetrock. Anybody have any experience with this or the often reference fender rolling?

For anybody wondering they don't make them in 235/40/18, so problem solved!

Archived