LegacyGT.com

Re960 A/s?

LawGT

Somebody had pics of 225/45/17 RE960's on stock rims. I searched around...couldn't find them. Anyone have them?

I took some... let me look.

Edit: Look to my post in the compendium, # 43 for some pics.

I pasted them below

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/lawgt/IMG_2898.jpghttp://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/lawgt/IMG_2901.jpghttp://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/lawgt/IMG_2900.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/lawgt/IMG_2899.jpghttp://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/lawgt/IMG_2897.jpghttp://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/lawgt/IMG_2896.jpg

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a big dump of wet snow this morning.

The last snow we had was very powdery so this was different.

Straight line acceleration in slippery slush = no problem, no side to side just grip

Changing lanes from wet lane to wet lane with a couple inches of sloppy slush in the middle, no problem, would have been sketchy as hell with the re92s.

Very impressive.

can you PM me some pics?:icon_bigg

Sorry dont have any recent ones. There are some pics in my vbgallery from shortly after I installed the iONS (with the re92s).

The only difference with the 960s visually is maybe a couple extra cm (half inch?) of tread thus making the gap smaller

http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=230

Man the side to side movement in windy conditions with these tires is super sketchy....I regularly drive on the 407 a highway which is sort of in the middle of nowhere and wide open to the winds. Im sure the wind speeds get pretty high, but they seriously will push my car to one side or another at least and inch or more either way depending on the wind. Which frankly is very unnerving when you are travelling between 120-140 km/h next to other cars.

Ill have to check my tire pressures this weekend to see if all is well, they should be, but wow this is way worse than it was with the re92s and so far the only negative I have experienced with these otherwise very well handling tires.

Man the side to side movement in windy conditions with these tires is super sketchy....I regularly drive on the 407 a highway which is sort of in the middle of nowhere and wide open to the winds. Im sure the wind speeds get pretty high, but they seriously will push my car to one side or another at least and inch or more either way depending on the wind. Which frankly is very unnerving when you are travelling between 120-140 km/h next to other cars.

Ill have to check my tire pressures this weekend to see if all is well, they should be, but wow this is way worse than it was with the re92s and so far the only negative I have experienced with these otherwise very well handling tires.

second time i've heard this. but if the tire has great dry and wet traction otherwise...it doesn't really make sense that wind would cause it to loose grip. guess i'll find out for myself. tires on order...mounted next week.

second time i've heard this. but if the tire has great dry and wet traction otherwise...it doesn't really make sense that wind would cause it to loose grip. guess i'll find out for myself. tires on order...mounted next week.

Thats the thing, regular grip in wet, dry, snow is great.

I do recall having this issue with the re92s, so maybe its the car, also maybe I have just noticed it more because I have been taking that highway more often than I did before. On other less windy routes its never really an issue.

Wind > LGT?

^ One thing that steered (tram lined?) me away from the 960s were their very pronounced straight line groves. That was a minor concern however as I was looking for an A/S with a snow bias (ContiExtremes) for my winter set up. For a 4 season A/S, the 960s are probably as good as you're going to find.

I have had the RE960's for about 5 days now on my 2004 WRX Wagon.

I am quite happy with dry handling in colder temps 10F-30F. It has brought a great appreciation of handling level of my WRX previously with RE92's and Nokian NRW's. I have a few twisties to my house and noticed I can take them quite a bit faster by the speedometer. The car feels very well planted.

I understand people think summer tires are better in dry which I do not doubt, however still cannot understand without going excessive speeds over legal limits on the streets how much better than RE960's you can get?

Slushy wintery conditions again today: no problems

I spoke to my parents and a buddy regarding "tramlining", father Lexus IS250 awd (all seasons), Mother C230 Kompressor (Blizzak Revo 1), Buddy - Civic (all seasons).

Everyone agreed it has been really windy recently and all have noticed tramlining on the highway, so maybe its nots just the 960s...

Slushy wintery conditions again today: no problems

I spoke to my parents and a buddy regarding "tramlining", father Lexus IS250 awd (all seasons), Mother C230 Kompressor (Blizzak Revo 1), Buddy - Civic (all seasons).

Everyone agreed it has been really windy recently and all have noticed tramlining on the highway, so maybe its nots just the 960s...

got really surprised with the RE92's the other day 30mph+ gusts. one really pushed me....white knuckled it.it.

What kind of prices are you guys getting on these? Looks like Tire Racks got em for 600 shipped anybody find them cheaper?

225/45/17.....620.94 installed including tax before 10% rebate (rebate only on tire price)....Firestone.

(check thier website...10% off set of 4 Bridgestones)

That's because Firestone knows that you Canadians are so rich and can easily afford it!

-

Jim

Thats right. They pay for tires, we pay for health benefits. I guess it all evens out in the end... :confused:

Thanks for the replies. I'll look for a Firestone and wait for the tax check.

Thats right. They pay for tires, we pay for health benefits. I guess it all evens out in the end... :confused:

Thanks for the replies. I'll look for a Firestone and wait for the tax check.

fyi...10% rebate ends 3/31.

For me I used Mr. Tires 200% difference in price guarantee. Their price was $56 more than Firestone....So if I went with Mr. Tire I would have gotten $112 off. But Firestone countered that price and shot below that with tax!

My 92's have 11100 miles on them ... went out in about 8 or so inches of snow and they really struggled. I was in 2nd gear and just blip the throttle around a corner and they gave out, i was able to keep the car in control this is not the only problem i had. ABS was engaging with like ... just slush on the ground, no snow really at all at this stop light. I'm sitting there going WTF? That should not happen. Then when i was trying turn around in a mall i went into an unpaved parking lot (never hard trouble here before) and the car nearly got stuck, I had to back to up in reverse and then just power my way out, finally got free but i wasn't a happy camper after that. Then just turning at like 5 mph on this turn in the map the tires just had NO traction and i was slipping into a snow bank, i was able to get it out of it though.

Just felt really squirrelly today, traction was just going away too easily for my taste, and i'm pushing the car at all ... Next week is spring break and I'm going to push to get the tires off of this car with my parents. I called mom up and she finally agreed that perhaps the tires do in fact need replacement.

Im stuck between 960's and WRs.

I have been kind of told that WR's are basically just a winter tire that you can drive all year around.

The 960's of course have just been getting rav reviews but there have been a few complaints.

what to do what to do.

I love my car ... basically.

If you want pure snow ability in all-seasons get the Nokian WR's. However in my parts (5-10 days of real snow) to sacrafice your whole driving experience year round with Nokian WR's for the winter is not worth it. The RE960's are in a different world even on cold (5F) dry days.

RE960's go on today...at the shop now.:icon_bigg

Checked them out on display. Tread isn't as aggressive as I thought...protective lip not there like the 92's, but I think once I drive on them, I won't care.

^ ContiExtremes have served me extremely well in snow and slush, excellently in rain and very well in dry conditions. They are also quite cheap compared to the 960s and Nokians. I got them for $104 ea. mounted and balanced at Discount Tire. So far, they seem to be the perfect tire for a Chicagoland winter.

Archived