LegacyGT.com

Re960 A/s?

LawGT

Yeah, DT is America's tire. I did not get the extended warranty for the reasons you listed.

IMO, I would go for the 225/45/18 or the 225/40/18. The 960's are a "narrow" tire, so the 225/45 series would be barely "larger" in overall circumference than the stock size while offering a bit more rim protection for potholes .... although mine are stock 17's and you have 18's.

I haven't followed your reasons for going the AS route, but know that the 960 will have a bit less overall dry grip than the stock RE50 of the spec B, but better ride quality (ie softer). I would surmise that the 960's have 97-98% of the dry potential of the RE50, same or better in wet, and 100 times better cold weather/snow traction (since the RE50 are not meant to be used in temps below...let's say 50-55 degrees..).

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, DT is America's tire. I did not get the extended warranty for the reasons you listed.

IMO, I would go for the 225/45/18 or the 225/40/18. The 960's are a "narrow" tire, so the 225/45 series would be barely "larger" in overall circumference than the stock size while offering a bit more rim protection for potholes .... although mine are stock 17's and you have 18's.

I haven't followed your reasons for going the AS route, but know that the 960 will have a bit less overall dry grip than the stock RE50 of the spec B, but better ride quality (ie softer). I would surmise that the 960's have 97-98% of the dry potential of the RE50, same or better in wet, and 100 times better cold weather/snow traction (since the RE50 are not meant to be used in temps below...let's say 50-55 degrees..).

Well my sizing decision was made easy.

I wanted to do some overall diameter comparing... and tire rack has all that great info.

So in checking I realized that the RE960s do not come in the stock Spec B tire size. LOL

So my only option is the 225/45/18 or the 225/40/18

I will of course go with the 225/45/18. The difference in overall diameter from stock tires i have is 25.7 to 25.9

With the tread loss I have right now I'm probably futher away from the speedo then these new RE960s will be.

Plus being slightly larger will fill the fender gap a little more.

Not sure how much credit to give this chart but check out the tires compared along with the nearest competitors and it's not a hard choice to go with the RE960s..... The link will not work so you have to go to tire rack and do the tire comparison on your own.

But I put the Bridgestone Summer Tire (stock spec b tire) along side the RE960s and the Prielli and Continental ......

RE960s are rated better than all tires in every category.

I think the Bridgestone Summer tire were .1 ahead in only one category (steering response) other than that the RE960 were rated better or equal.

I'll review how I like them compared to my stock shoes when I have had them for a while.

They even have the same rating for dry traction as my stock tires.

Time to order them up!!!!!!!!!

There is a function on the nav/info system that measures your exact speed according to the GPS. You can bring that up and compare the speedo to the GPS.

In my case, I went to a winter (Contis) and summer (OEM) sets.

There is a function on the nav/info system that measures your exact speed according to the GPS. You can bring that up and compare the speedo to the GPS.

In my case, I went to a winter (Contis) and summer (OEM) sets.

Vinnie,

I've seen this on other cars but I don't think I've ever pulled this up on the spec. I'll have to check it out. I'm assuming you should maintain a constant speed for a few seconds.

I'll check it now and after I get the new tires.

Nice idea...thanks

I actually have these on my 18" Rota Torques and the 225/40 were ridiculously narrow.

Believe it or not I have 245/40 on now and they're only ~ 3% off on the speedo. I also prefer the look even though the wheels look a little smaller...

MUCH better ride as well :cool:

I actually have these on my 18" Rota Torques and the 225/40 were ridiculously narrow.

Believe it or not I have 245/40 on now and they're only ~ 3% off on the speedo. I also prefer the look even though the wheels look a little smaller...

MUCH better ride as well :cool:

^

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

245/40/18 = 4.28% larger than OEM, not recommended.

"Speedometer Difference: 4.462% too slow"

Stay within 1" of OEM size.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

^

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

245/40/18 = 4.28% larger than OEM, not recommended.

"Speedometer Difference: 4.462% too slow"

Stay within 1" of OEM size.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

I can't believe how small the Bridgestones are in general. I had a set of 225/40 General Exclaim UHPs on the car and these 245s are just slightly taller and VERY slightly wider.

BTW my speedo reads slow but not too bad at all. 2mph at 70 I can live with. At 40 it's not even noticeably off

• 1 month later...

really hard to tell.....

I wore down the original tires pretty good....

The new tires wills make a little noice but they seem to stay planted just like the originals.....I think for the peace of mind I'll have in the next few months when going to reno or other areas where I might see snow....it was a great trade off!

It's not like I see open roads every day :) ....

I took one scenic trip and the car was awesome as always...

^

Why'd you go w/ 225/45 instead of 225/40?

That's my debate now. 40's would be lower, but bigger fender gap. Then again the 40's would give slightly quicker acceleration and look better being thin. On the other hand, 45's might give a smoother ride

?????

45 are the way to go. I went with them for the rim protection. With 18's you'll need it. You'd need a computer to detect the acceleration factor, but your wallet can tell you about the protection factor.... especially if you have after market rims on :(

Maybe I'll go w/ 18 x 7.5 rims for that reason. Worried about tire rub.

Another question for you guys. As I ask other Legacy enthusiasts about tires, most tell me, "All Seasons do everything okay, but nothing great. Get Summer/Winter dedicated tires." What do y'all think?

Maybe I'll go w/ 18 x 7.5 rims for that reason. Worried about tire rub.

Another question for you guys. As I ask other Legacy enthusiasts about tires, most tell me, "All Seasons do everything okay, but nothing great. Get Summer/Winter dedicated tires." What do y'all think?

Hey Scott,

Those were my thoughts as well! And it make sense. In a perfect world I would also have a saleen S7 for the summer and when I drove on perfectly flat roads. (Due to the lack of clearance on the S7)

But this is reality and I dont' have time, rims, money, equipment, to change out twice during the year for winter and summer.

Plus if you look at the specs and compare the Bridgestone RE960s to the Summer tire that came standard on the Spec B they are so close it is scary....

Anyways...that's my 2 cents.....

I've had good performance from my RE960s...but they are a little pricer than most AS perforance tires...but then again you get what you pay for......

I think for the fact that it is different technology...gives a smoother and quieter ride with nearly identical performance..... plus little wider...little more tire...little more rim protection....overall I'm happy with the setup....

Plus these tires come with a 40k warranty which I'm happy about since my stockies only lasted me 30k :)

oh yeah. even the treadwear is top notch!!!!

Yeah, I've thought about that too. That it seems like the performance is close to summer tires. The main issue for me is space. I can take the time. Or more likely, have Discount mount em for free (I assume they'd do that if I bought em there). And if I went to dedicated tires, I could still keep the stock wheels (plan on getting aftermarket wheels). It is a bit more money (all said and done, about $700).

Still not sure though. Tires stacked around doesn't exactly spice a garage (or living room) up!

Archived