LegacyGT.com

Re960 A/s?

LawGT

Got the 960s (225s) installed today. Just in time, as yesterday we got a bunch of slush/snow and teh re92s were almost making me spin out, no traction, scary.

Ive barely driven on the 960s yet but they feel much more stuck to the ground than the "greasy" re92s thats for sure...

Ill update after I drive on them for awhile

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive prob driven 100kms on the tires so far. They may not be broken in yet im not sure, shop said 50kms. Its bloodly freezing here and I havent been driving them hard yet.

That said, its obvious that the cornering ability in any condition is far superior to teh re92s.

My only gripe thus far is that on the highway today I noticed the car being blown around by the wind and side to side shifting in my lane which just doesnt feel right or stable.

I had noticed a similar feeling with the re92s but I was hoping to kill that by getting nice new tires, these almost seemed worse. Anyways hopefully they will "break in" and become more stable at speed in the wind..

I think a previous poster noticed this, can anyone comment?

I have the 960's I can tell u there is signifigantly more grip & the car is much quieter on the freeway over expension joints & broken pavement in So Cal. No tramlining either. I guees the real test in when i move back to the midwest in a few months & see how they do in the winter. Kinda wished the tires had a little wider more aggresive footprint but otherwise I am happy. Size 225/45 WR 17. Only thing that was good about my old RE92's was the crisp initial turn in, otherwise they basically sucked in my opinion.

My only gripe thus far is that on the highway today I noticed the car being blown around by the wind and side to side shifting in my lane which just doesnt feel right or stable.

I had noticed a similar feeling with the re92s but I was hoping to kill that by getting nice new tires, these almost seemed worse. Anyways hopefully they will "break in" and become more stable at speed in the wind..

I think a previous poster noticed this, can anyone comment?

I also have this issue. I may have mentioned it in my long ass review in the compendium. The old RE92's "moved around" side to side a bit when they were newer, but after 6000 miles or so they were fine.

I have about 2500 miles or so on the 960's and they still move around quite a bit. I'm not sure what it is. I will get my car aligned to see if that's it. Its a unerving feeling when going 85mph. I wonder if the tires are very "responsive" to very minute (almost unconcious) movements of the steering wheel. I have sometimes let go of the wheel all together (safely, no cars around, and my hands 1 millimiter away from the wheel...etc) to see if the car moved around. It didn't, or at least I could not perceive it. Perhaps the "moving around" in the lane could be due- at least in part- to unconcisous very small "twitches" or corrections by the driver, and the tires are so responsive that they immediately move with the "twitch". The reason the 92's didn't do it could be perhaps because they were more "squirmy" (tread absorbed the minute twitches without actually moving the car around).

Don't know, it's just a theory. Perhaps others could try the "experiment" (taking your hands of the wheel for a few seconds) to see if the car still moves around.

I've got the 225/40/18 960 A/S.

I've noticed none of the drifting issues others have talked about, my car is also stock.

In my opinion they perform great dry and wet. The run really close to the Summer tires my car came with maybe slightly louder.

As far as I'm concerned they only performed marginal in icey conditions but reasonable in snow.

Just seems like they should have more teeth than what they do when there is white stuff on the ground.

That all being said, in the last few snows, I've had no problems driving by people like they are standing still. Stopping distance hasn't been the best. My 98 Outback performed way better in the snow but didn't have anywhere near the performance capabilities.

Overall, I'm happy, I decided on these tires because I tend to drive hard and want a tire that really performed in dry and wet but would be reasonable in Winter. Chicago only has a few days of snow a year so I'm content with the mediocre snow/ice performance.

^ The thing about the last snowfall in Chicagoland was that it was so damn cold (not to mention that it rarely snows when its that cold) that salting techniques didn't work except to create a weird kind of buttery grease on the roadways. I wonder if they might not have been better off just plowing and sanding to keep things dry instead of "greasing". Perhaps they did it that way to control black ice formation. My ContiExtremes performed very well but for cold weather with snow like we had a true winter compound tire would be FTW.

Don't know, it's just a theory. Perhaps others could try the "experiment" (taking your hands of the wheel for a few seconds) to see if the car still moves around.

Actually I tried taking my hands off the wheel as well when I noticed the "tramlining" and as you mention the car didnt seem to flap about as much, mind you this was for a couple of short instances, I didnt want to push it as it felt like the car was going to "blow away".

That said today I was driving around a bit taking some harder corners and the tires were gripping nicely (and its still freezing here)

Got my RE 960's (225/45/17) on a few days ago and they're a huge improvement over the RE 920's. The dry grip is a big improvement and the slight flatspotting doesn't even matter all that much to me. I still need to test them in heavy snow, but we got about an inch a few mornings ago and they didn't seem unsettled at all. Haven't tested them in the wet though. They're significantly quieter than the 92's; the overall ride quality is a big improvement. I also noticed that they're a little twitchy, but it hasn't been an annoyance. I think its more responsive than jittery, but that's just me. Excellent tires though.

One added bonus that may just be due to having some tread on my tires, is that my car looks lower now than it did with the re92s (i have springs), I guess the tread was really down before I changed them out, but I didnt think I would notice a difference appearance wise. Looks great now.

deimos, I think you said you got 225s (225/45R17?). You do realize those are about 1/2-inch larger in diameter than the stock RE92s?

They are actually .4 inches more in overall diamater than the stock size :icon_wink

Has anyone done any snow driving with the 906's? I'm getting about $500 back on taxes, and am gonna throw that right at some new shows for my 2.5i, but here in New England, am going to need something that is steady in the white stuff as well...it's between these, the ContiExtremes, and the Proxes TPTs...thanks for any info!
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

Has anyone done any snow driving with the 906's? I'm getting about $500 back on taxes, and am gonna throw that right at some new shows for my 2.5i, but here in New England, am going to need something that is steady in the white stuff as well...it's between these, the ContiExtremes, and the Proxes TPTs...thanks for any info!

I've got about 4k miles on mine with a good mixture of dry, wet, slush, snow, ice & everything inbetween. I'm very happy with my choice for an A/S tire for all these conditions. On the snow & ice, I definitely drive them as A/S tires and not full fledge studless tires, but they are not that far lacking.

I had a chance to compare them (different car -Passat 4Motion) to a set of michelin x-ice. I drove a 4 mile section of curvy and hilling road covered in ice and a little bit of compact snow. I would say there was about a 5-10 MPH difference between the break loose thresholds. The passat was able to handle the road at 40-60 mph fine while the subby felt good upto 35-50 mph. I know this could lead to much debate between the AWD differences, but it is the closest I have come to comparing the 960's A/S to a pure winter studless tire.

Cheers,

Mike

thanks!

No problem. Hope you enjoy them, if you get them. One other thing to note is that people have run these at different PSI. I like to run mine at 35F/37R. I have seen higher from others, but play around with them. I did notice some flat spotting if left at 32 PSI in freezing temps.

Cheers,

Mike

You can't go wrong with the Contis for an AS "snow" tire. I just got back from a deeeeeeeeeelighful drive this morning (1:10AM). 2" of snow @ 25F. No tracks. No salt. Plenty of throttle needed to overcome the Extremes grip and very good stopping power. What a blast it was to drive the Spec.B hard! Gotta use that throttle to get the nose outta trouble!:icon_mrgr

There's an interesting test at tirerack.com comparing ice performance of the REVO, LM-25, RE 960, and RE 050A. the middle two have essentially comparable performance on _ice_, with the 25 a little better.

A good read if anyone's interested.

There's an interesting test at tirerack.com comparing ice performance of the REVO, LM-25, RE 960, and RE 050A. the middle two have essentially comparable performance on _ice_, with the 25 a little better.

A good read if anyone's interested.

Old news.... :) That test (almost equal performance b/w 960 and lm25) and the Road and Track test of 225/45/17 tires in a miata (960 vs summer and track tires) is why I bought the 960's....

Old news.... :) That test (almost equal performance b/w 960 and lm25) and the Road and Track test of 225/45/17 tires in a miata (960 vs summer and track tires) is why I bought the 960's....

For old news, noone seems to have heard of it, which is why I posted.

^^^ I refer you to post #7 (by yours truly) in this thread and ensuing discussion thereafter. I also linked to it under my 960 review in the "compendium". ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjundi http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

According to tire rack rep on NASIOC.com he stated he thinks they are likely the best Ultra high performance all-season on par if not slightly better than Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. They seem to have decent ice traction at least according to an odd test of winter tires vs performance winter vs all-season vs summers on ice.

They are in my sights as next tire but I will put up with RE92's for one last season.

Very true. In the TR ice test (here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=80) the RE960 was nearly on par on ice with the dedicated "winter performace" Blizzak LM 25 in both acceleration and breaking. The LM 25's are themselves a well rated performance winter tire, so it is more impressive. I may just have to man up and pay the approx $200 total premium for 4 tires over the Contiextreme of ZIEX 512'...

Archived