LegacyGT.com

new 2007 DRL + HID help!

20lgt06

Thanks for the instructions guys. As mentioned by others, ejecting the blue/black wire from the connector was a pain... but results in a very clean way to disable DRL's. I really like the fact that the DRL indicator on the dash doesn't show up any more since it was non-dimming and could be overly bright at times.

Also, I like knowing that the lights are no longer taxing the alternator... which should make life easier for my 2.5i hampster motor.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can still turn only your parking lights on when cut the blue/black wire. No, they don't come on automatically anymore but I thought that was the whole point of the thread...to be able to choose when you want your lights on and when you don't.

I think the point of the thread was to disable the headlight so it would be running 24/7 with the HID bulb in there, I'm sure some people (such as me) still want parking lights to come on since that's not hurting anything, but want to have control of the headlight bulb, which would be the brown wire removal. If this thread was disabling DRL with no reguards to HID's, then I'd assume the brown wire would be pointless topic.

I think the point of the thread was to disable the headlight so it would be running 24/7 with the HID bulb in there, I'm sure some people (such as me) still want parking lights to come on since that's not hurting anything, but want to have control of the headlight bulb, which would be the brown wire removal. If this thread was disabling DRL with no reguards to HID's, then I'd assume the brown wire would be pointless topic.

whatever. cut the brown and keep the parking lights or cut the blue/black and choose when you turn on ANY of your lights. to each their own. i do not plan on running HIDs but i wanted all DRLs off.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is so helpful, especially with the pictures. I did this mod in only a matter of minutes, the only hassle was geting the pin out of the harness. It's so much cleaner than cutting a wire, especially when your car is still brand new. Thanks for the info and tips guys.

• 2 weeks later...
anyone know if this is the same on 08's

I'd be willing to bet it is. Do your headlights and parking lights all come on during the day right now? If so, it's probably the same thing. The '05 and '06 models only had the headlights on (no parking lights) during the day. You could always be the guinea pig and try it out... ;)

I'd be willing to bet it is. Do your headlights and parking lights all come on during the day right now? If so, it's probably the same thing. The '05 and '06 models only had the headlights on (no parking lights) during the day. You could always be the guinea pig and try it out... ;)

not to sure i havent realy paid much attention if the parking lights are on or not.

ill check it out tommorow and if so ill do some wire testing and see if i can figure it out.

just thought someone might have already done this on an 08.

Well i did some testing on my 08 and it seems as if subaru went back to the old design.

just unplug the white connector and your all set. high beams and fogs still functional, no headlamp Drl's or parking lamp drl's

no need for cutting wires or removing pins out of the harness.

Well i did some testing on my 08 and it seems as if subaru went back to the old design.

just unplug the white connector and your all set. high beams and fogs still functional, no headlamp Drl's or parking lamp drl's

no need for cutting wires or removing pins out of the harness.

stupid SOA. they finally get something right and I buy the one model they screwed up on.

stupid SOA. they finally get something right and I buy the one model they screwed up on.

My thought exactly. I plan on doing this... only skimmed through the thread but it appears I have a lot of research to do because I have fog lights... And I love them so I need to do a fog mod (whatever that is). :wub:

My thought exactly. I plan on doing this... only skimmed through the thread but it appears I have a lot of research to do because I have fog lights... And I love them so I need to do a fog mod (whatever that is). :wub:

The fog light mod is only for if you want to be able to turn the fog lights on and off independently of the other lights. If you disable the DRL's correctly, the fog lights will still work just like they always have.

Heh - this is the post I saw that made me think I had to do a fog mod to get them to work.

Alright, what the hell, what have I done wrong?

I pulled out the blue/black wire (actually, I cut it, planning on putting in a disconnect instead, because I couldn't get the ******* wire out of the clip, no matter how much pushing in w/ prying I did), and the headlights work.. but no fogs or high beams.

This is an '07 spec b. I did the same thing as so many others, and it didn't end up with the same result.

What the hell is going on here? :(

edit: hmm.. i'm a retard. I forgot to plug the plug back in after i cut the wire.

Wow.. after two cups of coffee today and everything. *sigh*

It would have helped me if I'd read the whole thing. :rolleyes:

EDIT: This would have helped too :rolleyes:http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1122671&postcount=140

I failed.

Pushing the wire from one end and pushing the pin at the other did not work.

Pulling the wire from one end and pushing the pin at the other did not work.

Anyone have any tips for what I'm doing wrong?

Actually, all tips are probably useless now as I've bent the plastic pretty badly with the small screwdriver I was using, probably making the pin impossible to pull out.

EDIT:

You were so close LAZ...I almost gave up too...but then remembered that certain Subaru connectors have a 'lock' on the bottom. It looks like a bar running from side to side. That actually pops out about 1/16". Then it will release the pins rather easily using the method you were trying.

Holy cow I really should have read this whole thread slowly before attempting this.

Okay I managed to figure out the tab. What I thought were two lips that held the whole thing together ended up being a place to slide a screwdriver in.

I got two flat head jewelers screwdrivers to pry the thing up and managed to fit them straight through the lifted tab - to keep it pulled.

Pushing the wire out took more force than I expected, but it came out very cleanly and without much fuss. Wrapped it in tape sticky-side out, and then wrapped it in more sticky side in. And then taped it to the firewall insulation.

I also noticed that since I've done this, already on my way home at two points where people always pull out in front of me - today they didn't. This tentatively confirms my suspicions that DRLs lower respect on the road (as people rarely pulled out in front of me in my old car).

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if everyone knows this, but like someone else mentioned, the 2008 DRL's seem to be unplug the white connector and be done with it. Did my free 99 mod under 5 minutes. Just moved the bottom cover under steering bezel(down by feet), and located DRL control unit by firewall. Disconnected.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did it today, got very frustrated with the "pull-out" method in addition to the very uncomfortable working position, I just cut it. I can confirm that you only need to cut the blue/black wire. I never cut the brown wire. Cutting the blue/black wire will get rid of the dashboard DRL warning indicator, both low beam and parking light DRL's. I won't sell my car any time soon so I'm not too worried about it.

I was very upset that Subaru had to change the wiring for the 07's to make the DRL disabling process so much more difficult. If they were that concerned about safety, they should have used the JDM taillights instead of the USDM ones with confusing red turn signals.

So now my Legacy is HID-ready...I hope.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. It did take 10 min. Now, Can anyone explain me about HIDs? Like which watts should i get, i see people getting 35 or 55, and I dont know much about the color, just enough so I wont piss people off. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Willie

you need H7 bulbs. stay in the 4500k-6000k range. 4500k gives the best lighting, white in color. 6000k is blue in lighting, but you sacrifice lighting. keep in mind 6000k still puts out 3x the light as per stock

• 3 months later...
i had the same post up a while back. yes just pull the blue/black wire out. it was a easy pull. maybe you were instructed wrong. but i just pulled out the wire. you didnt have to cut it. it took me less then 5 minutes to pull it out. but i guess people has their own way. but yeah, My HID works great. hopes your too. and no need to cut any other wires.