new 2007 DRL + HID help!

20lgt06

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
On the 2005 that is true. I understand on the 2006-7 it is two wires and on the 2008 it is high beam DRL's so you dont have to do anything.

I was wondering, if the wiring is the same, you could put the 2008 DRL module into the 2005 and have high beam DRL without rewiring

I have an 07' Spec.B and I only pulled the blue/black stripe wire, not the brown (left it alone) and everything works perfect (no parking lights staying on issue) not sure if the brown wire is necessary. I would only recommend pulling the blu/blk.

Couldn't find and maybe i missed it, but does anyone here know if there will be a problem with me doing a HID upgrade but leaving the DRL enabled? i like the feature but don't want to burn out expensive bulbs....

From reading a lot of post reference your questions DRL'S make HID'S "strobe" if you will when they are still connected. Making the HID's virtually useless/impossible to function properly. I wouldn’t spend the money on HID's if you can't disconnect the DRL's.

I have an 07’ Spec.B and on mine the DRL box was against the firewall and up to the left of the clutch pedal. The box had a very hard to read orangish/yellow stick on top that said DRL’S. The box also had two connectors plugged into one black and one white. Pull the white one. It was hard to see the connector without removing the whole under dash panel. I did have to remove the connector that was attached to under dash panel as well as the three panel clips. Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
Just did my DRL disable. As for pictures, I just finished up and put everything back, but the DRL module looks exactly like TwinkE's pictures; no noticeable differences. The description of how to get there also matches previous descriptions in this thread:

Under the steering column, 3 popits, two are like, screw in popits, one is a straight up popit. After pulling that panel out (it doesn't come ALL the way out, because of one connector that connects to the panel) if you look up above the clutch, you will see a black box that has a sticker on it labeled:

"Cont. DRL Module" I think. (Control DRL Module?)

I think that's what mine said.

Connected to that black box are two connectors, one white and one black. You will want to pull the black one. Stick a small screwdriver tip into the hook and yank the connector out.

I had a really hard time pushing in the wire pin to get it out the other side, so I ended up cutting it like many others. There just isn't a lot of space in there to do a lot of maneuvering.

Thanks everyone for such an elaborate thread to make this process really easy!!

OK reviving a really old thread here. I've read the whole thing, and still have some confusion :spin:

I've got an 08 Outback XT Limited. I removed the white connector under the dash, which disabled the DRLs. However the high-beam indicator does not illuminate on the dash when the high-beams are on... I'm usually pretty aware of when they're on, but have been flashed a few times.

Does anyone know if the 05-06 method will work on the 08? I don't mind pulling the wires, just trying to make it work so that I disable the DRLs, and still have a functioning high-beam indicator on the dash...

OK reviving a really old thread here. I've read the whole thing, and still have some confusion :spin:

I've got an 08 Outback XT Limited. I removed the white connector under the dash, which disabled the DRLs. However the high-beam indicator does not illuminate on the dash when the high-beams are on... I'm usually pretty aware of when they're on, but have been flashed a few times.

Does anyone know if the 05-06 method will work on the 08? I don't mind pulling the wires, just trying to make it work so that I disable the DRLs, and still have a functioning high-beam indicator on the dash...

Do not remove the whole connector. Only the blue with black stripe wire. ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just did this today, took about 10 minutes. First, unhook the white connector from the DRL module.

http://twinke.com/Pictures/DRL/DRLModule.JPG

On the back side(flat end) there are two indents on the outside. Put a screwdriver in the indent and pop up the tab that goes all the way across the connector. Before:

http://twinke.com/Pictures/DRL/ConnectorLocked.JPG

After:

http://twinke.com/Pictures/DRL/ConnectorUnlocked.JPG

Remove the electrical tape that's closest to the connector so you can move the wires around. Now it takes a little effort. Push the blue with black stripe wire forward into the connector(only goes a little bit) then put a small flat screwdriver into the end of the hole below the metal connector. Push the screwdriver towards the metal connector and the wire should just pull out. Tape it up and you're done.

http://twinke.com/Pictures/DRL/PinOut.JPG

If you don't push the wire forward into the connector, the wire won't unlatch from the connector and you'll just waste your time.

This FTW! Took me longer than I care to admit, but the end result was the desired outcome. Patience is a virtue when performing this mod, especially if you don't want to make any cuts. I like that it is easily reversed, for the sake of resale.

• 1 year later...

Ok I have read through the thread and am a little confused.... I installed my HID from Diode Dynamics today. Went really well did all the wiring and tested the lights with the car on but not the engine. In the off position the HIDs were off when I switched to on they would ignite. Tucked the wires and figured I was done.

When I started the car with the switch in the off position the HIDs flicker, when I switch them to on they ignite fully and remain ignited. I have the relay installed.

My question is do I have to cut the wire or remove the DRL plug completely? I live in Canada and it is illegal not too have DRL I am pretty sure. I have read about installing a anti flicker capacitor in between the ballast and the headlight wiring. Is this any way correct and does it fix the problem??

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I didn't snip the wire but got a DRL canceller. It works for removing the flicker and the buzzing of the relay. Only problem I am having now is the lights just stay on, when the switch is off the lights remain on and when I switch on they don't do anything, just stay on. One bulb is also noticeably brighter than the other, I have been told this could be due to the bulb not being secured correctly?

Thanks for the insight.

• 5 years later...

:nono:Well it only took seven years, but I finally disabled my headlights for the DRL (brown wire only). I tried when I first got the car in early 2013, I did not remove the wiring harness so I could not remove the panel and I could not get the wire out. I didn’t want to cut it then, so I buttoned everything back up and went about my business. One of my low beams finally burned out last week, and it seems like not having the headlights on for the DRLs was a good idea with the higher output bulbs I got.

I looked through the thread again, watched a YouTube video, dove back in this afternoon. I removed that OBD port connector so I could get the panel out of my way. I found that little lock bar and pried it out, which I don’t think I knew about or did the first time. I could not get the wire to release from the connector for the life of me. I fought with it for like an hour before I just snipped it and busted out the electrical tape ☹️

I generally consider myself pretty handy and pretty good at following directions but that wire was not coming out of the connector for me. So thanks to everyone who contributed, especially with pictures. For those who have yet to do this, don’t feel bad if you can’t get the wire to come out of the connector :nono:

Edited by dvancleve