20lgt06

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey friend--let me know if it works for you. I have an 07 outback LL Bean wagon and saw a plug down there but was not sure if it was the right one. I saw an old thread for 07 legacy that said you have to unplug only the blue wire with the black stripe from the white connector and that should disable only the DRL. I'm too chicken to try it yet. do you mind taking pics if you do it and it works?

thanks

I put a toggle switch on the blue wire and when I go to the dealer for warranty/maintenance work I can flip them on again! The toggle switches come with about 6 inches of wire on both sides so you can easily have the switch rest/hang by the plastic cover and just reach your fingers in to switch it. You could even drill a small hole and mount the toggle with the supplied nut. I live in MN and went on a trip to Canada with the car and I fit right in with all the other freaks with DRLs!! When I returned to the USA, I switched them off!!

cutting the blue/black wire worked

i couldn't get the damned thing out so just cut it.

everything, i mean everything works--high, low, fog and all other electrical stuff.

does anyone recommend a certain type of HID system?

i'd like to get one for about $120 to $150, i found a bunch on amazon.com but does anyone recommend a brand?

thanks

i use to spend 500+ on hid kits but switched to the cheapos, which lasted longer paid 120 shipped on ebay, its all the same to me i think! just remember lower the K brighter the light output

cutting the blue/black wire worked

i couldn't get the damned thing out so just cut it.

everything, i mean everything works--high, low, fog and all other electrical stuff.

does anyone recommend a certain type of HID system?

i'd like to get one for about $120 to $150, i found a bunch on amazon.com but does anyone recommend a brand?

thanks

Get the DDM kit hands down. I just bought a 6000k system along with DDE's and am more than pleased. I too wasn't able to get the pin out and after trying for some time I was scared of damaging it beyond repair. I figured if I cut it I can at least reconnect it. If I damage the pin I am screwed.

If you look at xenon depots current deal, you can get a 35 W system for 140 shipped with free lifetime warranty and a free battery harness.

http://www.xenonexpert.com/ddm_kit_sale.html

Just me, but I would not go past 5K. I have seen the 6K and it is too blue.

I've had the 5K going on for almost three years and it has been solid. This is the Xtec kit which I think the don't sell anymore.

X

---

• 1 month later...
just installed my apexcone (Xtec replacement) at 5K and 35w, added 4K matching fogs(non HID :( ) last night, and cut, i tried it all too to get the damned thing to release,blue w black stripe wire. and now im DRL-less and HID runnin HAPPY!. very pleased with ease of install, appearance and cost.

When I went to disable my DRL's on my 07 I got the wires mixed up in my head for some reason and ended up cutting the brown wire. It turned the headlights off, but the parking light still turn on. All of my other lights function perfectly, and I actually like the thought of having some form of light still on. I just didn't want to worry about my headlights burning out really fast.

i use to spend 500+ on hid kits but switched to the cheapos, which lasted longer paid 120 shipped on ebay, its all the same to me i think! just remember lower the K brighter the light output

Damn, for 500+ bucks, you might as well do an HID retro.

• 3 months later...
Guest LGT-NY

I just cut the brown and blue wire with the black stripe to install my HIDs. But now when I turn on the brights, the low beams stay on too?

:confused:

• 7 months later...
If the wiring is the same on the 2008 legacy, is it the DRL module that is different?

Maybe all we would need to do if we wanted DRL's on the high beams would be to change the module.

I disabled mine 2008 Legacy completely following the instructions on this thread. All you need to do is pull one wire out and then you are done.

On the 2005 that is true. I understand on the 2006-7 it is two wires and on the 2008 it is high beam DRL's so you dont have to do anything.

I was wondering, if the wiring is the same, you could put the 2008 DRL module into the 2005 and have high beam DRL without rewiring

On the 2005 that is true. I understand on the 2006-7 it is two wires and on the 2008 it is high beam DRL's so you dont have to do anything.

I was wondering, if the wiring is the same, you could put the 2008 DRL module into the 2005 and have high beam DRL without rewiring

That might very well be the case. I am sure there are ways to compare the two modules based on pictures on this board to see if the plugs are the same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks TwinkE for your photos and write up, the DDM kit has been installed and DRL's disabled in our '07 specB. Pulling the blue/black wire out of the connector was super easy. Everything works great too!

Just did this today, took about 10 minutes. First, unhook the white connector from the DRL module.

On the back side(flat end) there are two indents on the outside. Put a screwdriver in the indent and pop up the tab that goes all the way across the connector. Before:

Remove the electrical tape that's closest to the connector so you can move the wires around. Now it takes a little effort. Push the blue with black stripe wire forward into the connector(only goes a little bit) then put a small flat screwdriver into the end of the hole below the metal connector. Push the screwdriver towards the metal connector and the wire should just pull out. Tape it up and you're done.

http://twinke.com/Pictures/DRL/PinOut.JPG

If you don't push the wire forward into the connector, the wire won't unlatch from the connector and you'll just waste your time.

• 2 weeks later...
Bumpity.... Would a 08-09 Legacy take a picture of the DRL module for us???

Thanks

Just did my DRL disable. As for pictures, I just finished up and put everything back, but the DRL module looks exactly like TwinkE's pictures; no noticeable differences. The description of how to get there also matches previous descriptions in this thread:

Under the steering column, 3 popits, two are like, screw in popits, one is a straight up popit. After pulling that panel out (it doesn't come ALL the way out, because of one connector that connects to the panel) if you look up above the clutch, you will see a black box that has a sticker on it labeled:

"Cont. DRL Module" I think. (Control DRL Module?)

I think that's what mine said.

Connected to that black box are two connectors, one white and one black. You will want to pull the black one. Stick a small screwdriver tip into the hook and yank the connector out.

I had a really hard time pushing in the wire pin to get it out the other side, so I ended up cutting it like many others. There just isn't a lot of space in there to do a lot of maneuvering.

Thanks everyone for such an elaborate thread to make this process really easy!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the write up. It was a PITA to get that wire out, but totally worth it.

I ended up sliding a small eyeglass screwdriver in from the wire end of the module to push down the clip. Then just pushed the wire out with another small screwdriver as most others have.