LegacyGT.com

new 2007 DRL + HID help!

20lgt06

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you put the wire back in the connector if you want to enable the DRL again later on?

I'm assuming just push it back into the correct hole until it catches. It has a little clip on it that you'll see when you take it out. Just make sure you remember what hole it goes in (always good advice).

I finally did it. I installed a switch on the blue/blk stripe wire (on the white plug from the DRL unit) so I can turn them back on if needed. I can switch them on and off without taking down the bottom cover. I did have to remove the cover to get up there and wire in the switch. It is nice to be able to control the lights myself. I am sure the neighbor appreciates not having lights shined in his bedroom at night. I resorted to pulling the e-brake to turn off the DRLs just in the driveway to reduce shining the neighbor before I had a chance to do this mod. Thanks for the information guys. I would have never figured out what wire controlled the DRLs and how to do it.

If you want the connector to come out of the housing without much fuss, here is what you do:

Look into the housing with a flashlight. You will see a tab protruding from the metal connector, This tab is there to hold the connector inside the housing when the two housings are pushed together. Use a jewelers flathead screwdriver to push down the tab and then pull the wire from the back side. It should slide out with very little fuss. If you bent the tab in this process, remember to bend it back into place so when you put it back together later, it will stay in the housing. Now, get a piece of 1/8" heatshrink tubing and put it over the connector, shrink the tube with a heat gun so that it doesn't short out against something else. If you don't have a heat gun, use one of those high powered butane crack torches. Electrical tape is for newbs. The idea mentioned above of marking the location with a sharpie was excellent.

Blunt. Almost rude. The true mark of intelligence. ;)

If you don't have a heat gun, use one of those high powered butane crack torches. Electrical tape is for newbs. The idea mentioned above of marking the location with a sharpie was excellent.

Just did this modification. It definitely was a pain to get that pin backed out of the connector. I would advise that whether you decide to use electrical tape or shrink tubing to cover the exposed pin, use a ziptie or tape and secure the wire in place so there isn't excessive movement. This should prevent any wire fraying.

Just did this modification. It definitely was a pain to get that pin backed out of the connector. I would advise that whether you decide to use electrical tape or shrink tubing, use a ziptie or tape and secure the wire in place so there isn't excessive movement. This should prevent any wire fraying.

Just did this mod. Only disconnected the blue/black wire. Everything seems to work fine. Was really hesitant due to the $33,000 price tag and only 3 days old.

I actually found that rather than trying to pull out the wire from the connector, and then having to tape up the end or something, I just elected to cut the wire, and put in a male/female disconnector. That way all I have to do to hook it back up is just plug them back in.

I elected to do this after I struggled with trying to remove the wire from the connector for like 20 minutes. :)

great idea but what happens if something goes wrong while the car is under warranty and the dealer sees it and voids everything.

Tell them it came that way.

I don't know of any state in the union that requires DRL. Correct me if I'm wrong:woowoo:

great idea but what happens if something goes wrong while the car is under warranty and the dealer sees it and voids everything.

They are going to void your whole bumper to bumper 3 year/36K mile warranty because a wire or two are cut? :lol::icon_bigg

Yeah man, I will really need to warranty my DRL module! :lol::icon_bigg

X

---

I can understand if you installed some aftermarket equipment incorrectly, or if you burn your ECU and they can prove you did it. But believe me cutting a couple of wires from the DRL module will not harm anything.

Subaru people are not the only ones that do this, search in any car forum for cars that have DRL's and you will see everybody has a way of disabling the DRL's that involves cutting wires, and never have I read anyone say "damn, my bumper to bumper warranty just got voided becaue I cut those damn wires!"

Actually first hit on Google:

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html

Look under the Subaru Legacy, they link back to this forum!

Anyway no one is telling you to disable them, and if you feel uncomfortable then don't and sleep better at night, but please do not post something as asinine as saying that your whole warranty can/may/should/will be voided because of a DRL disable! You never know a N00b may read your post and take you seriously!

Do you know that if you have a valid reason, like working an a armed forces base where you need to drive around at dusk without headlights the dealership will actually disable them for you?

X

---

If any electrical problem occurs and they relize you messed around under the dash and cut wires they will say you shorted something out and you will have to pay for it. It did happen to me once.

They have to prove that your dicking around under the hood actually caused said problem. If I change my oil myself, and a wheel bearing goes bad, am I to assume that my claim will be denied because I was working on some other part of the car myself?

short answer: no.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I guess theres always some idiot at every forum, so I guess I should have been clearer and not said it would void the warranty and just said that it wouldnt be covered under warranty if they thought you dicked around under the dash. Are you a member of the BMW forums also because theres an idiot there too that blows everything out of propotion. By the way I did disable them!!!!!!!!!!

instead of cutting wires, is there a DRL sensor that can be covered up making the car think its night time? that would be pretty spiffy.. how does DRL sensor work?

As far as I can tell, there is no sensor. It's just a dumb relay box that controls the lights themselves. I suppose you could wire in some photo sensor,but I don't think it would be worth the trouble.

You dont have to cut any wires. Its actually easy to do. If someone could post a picture of the pulled wire out of the harness you can see what exactly you need to do to remove it. Its like a fishing hook and you have to push it forword to release the point from the harness case and then push the point part in to make it narrow enough to passs back up through the channel