LegacyGT.com

new 2007 DRL + HID help!

20lgt06

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I only cnipped the brown wire the headlights went off, but the DRL light was on, and so were the parking lights. Then I snipped the blue/black and everything went off.

It may well be that all that is needed is the blue/black wire.

Brown wire, as in other years is only for the headlights. So if you still want to keep your parking lights along with the DRL light on the dash, but want to run HID's then only cut the brown wire.

Makes sense???

X

---

since the blue/black wire is for the headlights, if any wants to use their foglights as drl's, they can cut the wire and wire it to the foglights then they can use the parking lights and foglights as drl's. you would have to rewire it with a relay so when the headlights come on, power still goes to foglights and not turn off.

Instead of cutting the infamous brown wire and leaving it off, I installed a simple black rocker switch inside the covered panel for the fuse box.

I like having the DRLs - but sometimes, I need to go through a security checkpoint where I have to turn the lights off as to not blind the sentry. Up until now, I had to pull up the parking brake in order to kill the DRLs.

Hooray for the switch.

Still waiting!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok ive read throught this thread and nobody seems to mention WHERE this DRL module with the black/blue wire is located, is it under the steering column? under the dash? located next to the footrest on the drivers side? under the passenger glove box? i looked under both sides and cannot figure out where that wire harness is without ripping off the covers.

Ed

Ok ive read throught this thread and nobody seems to mention WHERE this DRL module with the black/blue wire is located, is it under the steering column? under the dash? located next to the footrest on the drivers side? under the passenger glove box? i looked under both sides and cannot figure out where that wire harness is without ripping off the covers.

Ed

You have to remove the bottom panel on the driver's side underneath the steering column. Once you get the panel off, you can see the module here:

http://twinke.com/Pictures/DRL/DRLModule.JPG

That is taken from the driver's side floor looking towards the firewall and slightly up (the white connector with the blue/black wire is already disconnected and dangling in the foreground in the pic).

Alright, what the hell, what have I done wrong?

I pulled out the blue/black wire (actually, I cut it, planning on putting in a disconnect instead, because I couldn't get the ******* wire out of the clip, no matter how much pushing in w/ prying I did), and the headlights work.. but no fogs or high beams.

This is an '07 spec b. I did the same thing as so many others, and it didn't end up with the same result.

What the hell is going on here? :(

edit: hmm.. i'm a retard. I forgot to plug the plug back in after i cut the wire.

Wow.. after two cups of coffee today and everything. *sigh*

Is there a way to trick the Ebrake sensor into thinking it's on? I'd really rather not cut wires..

I guess if there aren't actually any wires cut (if there's another way to break the connection) then I would also like some pictures.. :)

It seems like there would be...any electrical geniuses out there that can answer this?

I know that when you install a navi/dvd player that won't work without the ebrake on, you can get around it by taking the wire that is supposed to hook to the ebrake and grounding it to the chassis.

• 3 weeks later...
07 Legacy GT Limited: Out of a handful of dealers within 100 miles from me, I finally talked one into doing the job (DRL removal). He stated $113 to do it. Others said against the law. I told them there is no law (federal or otherwise) about DRLs. They basically said there is no way to do it. I have to wait till I get enough nerve to do this on a brand new car, cut or remove wires.

Cool... I just have to do it when the wife is not looking! She does not want me to mess with a new car. With my Toyota Camry, I had to pay the dealer (to remove DRL) to make her happy! That might be the way to go since it makes life at home smoother! I did however, remove the panel and take off white connector and lifted the tab and tried to push the blue/black wire out but it would not budge. So I put everything back together. I might give it one more shot.

I might just try again and not mention anything to my wife and she might not notice?

eh trust me mine was the same way... little bastard did not want to come out lol! i just cut it, the wire is long enough you can strip it back and tape her back up if you need to sell the car and want to make them come back up. just remember to throw a little tape on the ends so you dont have anything arc :)

id say be like hunny im leaving for work a little early lol! then just do it in the parking lot with some wire snips, a little electrical tape, and a small screw driver to get in there. :D

Seth1784,

You are funny! That has run through my head. I made up my mind that I am just going to do it. I have already done a dry run. I will try again to remove the wire. If I can not, I will put a rocker switch in there so I can switch them back on at time of trade in or selling it.

Seth1784,

If I can not, I will put a rocker switch in there so I can switch them back on at time of trade in or selling it.

Rocker switch = cutting cable. Just cut the cables and save the money on the rocker switch. Time of trade in/sale, soder/tape them back together.

X

---

I hear ya. I am just trying to avoid the dealership trying to blame that wire job on some issue that may creep up in the future. That is all. I am going to just cut the wire so there is enough room to put in a splice when the time comes to sell or trade. Thanks for all your input.

All the dealers told me they either couldnt or wouldnt so I said screw you guys I will do it myself. I removed the blue/black wire from the harness after much frustration. I still dont have any idea how I got the wire out of the harness but after about 15 minutes of trying it just came out. Then I taped everything back together just like stock and used a label maker to label the wire "DRL (Daytime Running Lights)" for the dealer, just in case and then I added a note on my most recent service reciept about the wire that was removed, where it was/is, and what the mileage was when I did it. I wanted it to be as close as possible to what the dealer might do.
^ n00bs below this line

• 2 weeks later...
Just did this today, took about 10 minutes. First, unhook the white connector from the DRL module.

http://twinke.com/Pictures/DRL/DRLModule.JPG

On the back side(flat end) there are two indents on the outside. Put a screwdriver in the indent and pop up the tab that goes all the way across the connector. Before:

http://twinke.com/Pictures/DRL/ConnectorLocked.JPG

After:

http://twinke.com/Pictures/DRL/ConnectorUnlocked.JPG

Remove the electrical tape that's closest to the connector so you can move the wires around. Now it takes a little effort. Push the blue with black stripe wire forward into the connector(only goes a little bit) then put a small flat screwdriver into the end of the hole below the metal connector. Push the screwdriver towards the metal connector and the wire should just pull out. Tape it up and you're done.

http://twinke.com/Pictures/DRL/PinOut.JPG

If you don't push the wire forward into the connector, the wire won't unlatch from the connector and you'll just waste your time.

I just did this today and while frustrating, this is a good walkthrough. I have a couple things to add:

1. The plug you need to pull is further back than what it looks in the pic and it is on the left side of the footwell.

2. In the pic above that says "Insert screwdriver blade here", it is actually pointing to the middle hole but follow the blue/black stripe wire and you will see where it goes.

3. What a &%$# to get the wire backed out of there!! I couldn't push the wire forward so I used needle nosed pliers to pull it forward a bit. I had to work the screwdriver under it and push back at the same time. Maybe two screwdrivers will work better for some of you?

All in all, I'm glad I did this and thanks for the walkthrough!!