LegacyGT.com

new 2007 DRL + HID help!

20lgt06

Anybody know if this is the same for the 07 Impreza WRX STI... we are having a heck of a time over at NASIOC.com and IWSTI.com trying to figure this out as well! Some pics would help, perhaps Subaru used a similar wiring harness for the 07 Legacy and WRX and this is the closest I've seen to someone making the 07 DRLs go away on the 07's.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

20lgt06,

did you notice if your headlamp relay "sounded" louder? I did this mod and maybe its just me, but the relay seemed to click louder?

Oh, and I decided not to cut the wires.....old motor swap trick: pull the pins out of the plastic connector and tape back the wires. Fully reversible if needed.

Thanks for the wire designations though.

EDIT:

07 Owners who haven't done the 07 DRL mod: If you could, get in the car, close the driver door, start your car, then open the driver door and count how long the LCD screen stays on indicating which door is open before it switches back to the "driving screen" (whether its mileage, SI graph, ET, range of fuel remaining, etc). I thought it stayed on the "orange door open" screen until the door shut.

thanks.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

20lgt06,

did you notice if your headlamp relay "sounded" louder? I did this mod and maybe its just me, but the relay seemed to click louder?

Oh, and I decided not to cut the wires.....old motor swap trick: pull the pins out of the plastic connector and tape back the wires. Fully reversible if needed.

Thanks for the wire designations though.

no didnt notice any louder clicking, im using an HID kit

• 2 weeks later...
hold up..... the parking lights stay on with the key on IGN ???

You have to take the plastic piece off that is underneath your steering wheel. There are three plastic hangers. Two can be removed by a philips screwdriver. The third one, which is in the middle is just popped off. I did this last night on my friends 07 LGT. The only thing that you need to do is find the right plug it is the white one that is farther back and up. I just unplugged it and snipped the BLUE with BLACK wiring. I then taped up with some electrical tape. You just plug it right back in and your DRLs are disable. I think someone mentioned that you needed to cut both the BROWN wire and the BLUE and BLACK wire earlier. My friend and I just cut the BLUE and BLACK one and tested it out and it disabled the DRLs entirely.

My friend and I just cut the BLUE and BLACK one and tested it out and it disabled the DRLs entirely.

:orly:

interesting...

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I was quite mindboggled myself. Subaru really made things complicated for 2007. When I disabled mine in my 06, it was a matter of just unplugging the DRL plug. So much easier.

Well, what I find interesting is that you removed one of the two that were recommended. I removed (read: not cut) the two pins (brown and blue/black) and was satisfied with the results.

I'm wondering, then, what the brown disabled. :icon_conf

I will be doing my 07 today, and funny thing is that today is the first day I driven my car during the day and I noticed what everyone was saying about the front parking lights being on as well as teh headlights.

So if I am to guess teh brown disables teh headlights, and the blue with black disables teh parking lights.

I will try to take pics today and test the theory as well.

X

---

you all noticed that the rear tails come on too right? lol they arent as bright but they come on... all the parking lights are linked i think.

let me know how it goes Laz, id like to do this. i did what the thread starter did lol! tried the one i thought it turned them off then i was like hmmm other things arent on.. put it back and just figured it wasnt going to happen.

like him id like some hid's as well but i didnt want them burning all the damn time.

also pictures would be wonderful!

is there also a way to just undo, rather then cut the wire incase something goes wrong lol.

you all noticed that the rear tails come on too right? lol they arent as bright but they come on... all the parking lights are linked i think.

let me know how it goes Laz, id like to do this. i did what the thread starter did lol! tried the one i thought it turned them off then i was like hmmm other things arent on.. put it back and just figured it wasnt going to happen.

like him id like some hid's as well but i didnt want them burning all the damn time.

also pictures would be wonderful!

is there also a way to just undo, rather then cut the wire incase something goes wrong lol.

There is a way to "uninstall" wires from the connectors without clipping them. If you know anyone who has done a really clean wiring job for a motor swap, then they'll know how to unpin and repin connectors.

If I have time, I'll try to do a pictoral walk thru. There are just a few steps. The PITA part is wriggling both hands in and up the dash.

lol i install stereo crap for myself and friends so trust me i know alllll about those pains. heck the navigation in my old car, i had installed for warranty stuff, but i took it out. the gps antenna was a nightmare to get to... i had scareds all over my hand that day lol!

thanks for the info though!

I try to do the pin uninstall today, and it proved to be really hard, and I was not able to take off the pins. This was with really small screwdrivers and everything, it was just too damn hard for me.

I ended up just cutting the cables and taping them off.

Just for testing purposes I cut the brown cable first. That disabled the headlights, but not the parking lights, or the DRL light on the dashboard. Then I cut the blue with black stripe and that got rid of everything. It is a shame that you can't just disconnected it like previous years.

I took some phone pics, but they came out too dark.

Anyway, I am now DRLess which is good, and now I will be installing my HID's tomorrow.

X

---

I try to do the pin uninstall today, and it proved to be really hard, and I was not able to take off the pins. This was with really small screwdrivers and everything, it was just too damn hard for me.

I ended up just cutting the cables and taping them off.

Just for testing purposes I cut the brown cable first. That disabled the headlights, but not the parking lights, or the DRL light on the dashboard. Then I cut the blue with black stripe and that got rid of everything. It is a shame that you can't just disconnected it like previous years.

I took some phone pics, but they came out too dark.

Anyway, I am now DRLess which is good, and now I will be installing my HID's tomorrow.

X

You were so close LAZ...I almost gave up too...but then remembered that certain Subaru connectors have a 'lock' on the bottom. It looks like a bar running from side to side. That actually pops out about 1/16". Then it will release the pins rather easily using the method you were trying.

ah crap! I have seen those before as well, and I don't know why I did not remember. It must have been the uncomfortable position I was in that made me give up.

Well it is done, and when it is time to go back (in three years) I may soder them back together. I was windering why it was taking me so much to take them off.

X

---

• 2 weeks later...

great post BUT it's kinda hard to visualize with no pictures.

From what I've gathered by all you posts is that the DRL connector has more than 2 wires, correct?

If the DRL connector is unpluged, this action causes the entire DRL circuit to be off, but in the process also causes the highbeams and fog lights to not work.

So to make the highbeams and fog lights work, the proper solution would be to unplug the DRL connector and attempt to either remove or cut the two mentioned wires and then reconnect the DRL plug.

Is this correct guys? But my question now is, If the DRL and the parking lights are cut or snipped, will the alarm activation "blip" still give me a visual that it's on? (please read this question regarding the parking lights)

BTW: THIS POST NEEDS PICS!!!! :)

DRL disable just got a whole lot more complicated. Thanks Subaru for changing something that really didn't need to be changed.

Yes, they can devote engineering staff time to make this very slightly more difficult!

But they can't manage to make the passenger side AC zone slave off the driver's side AC setting. My wife is going to hurt herself one of these days adjusting the AC...:lol: Nor have they added residual power to any accessories.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

great post BUT it's kinda hard to visualize with no pictures.

From what I've gathered by all you posts is that the DRL connector has more than 2 wires, correct?

If the DRL connector is unpluged, this action causes the entire DRL circuit to be off, but in the process also causes the highbeams and fog lights to not work.

So to make the highbeams and fog lights work, the proper solution would be to unplug the DRL connector and attempt to either remove or cut the two mentioned wires and then reconnect the DRL plug.

Is this correct guys? But my question now is, If the DRL and the parking lights are cut or snipped, will the alarm activation "blip" still give me a visual that it's on? (please read this question regarding the parking lights)

BTW: THIS POST NEEDS PICS!!!! :)

Just disconnect/cut the two wires and everything else will work no problem.

X

---