LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quick question, those of you having issues w/ the fan and ecu, do you have a MT or AT? everyone here who has fan/ecu issues have an MT. I have an AT and no issues. don't know if that makes a difference as I know the ECU is different... and no, i did not search through the 80 pages of this thread so Search Nazis can suck it.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

mine is a manual and feels like a new car without the fans a blazing....

hey superhawk....

it became the most recent because there is no other part numbers to fix the problem newer than that one.....

the TSB came out in October and those were the part numbers.

SO far so good with my new fix.....

Oh... I brought in a couple dozen krispy Kreme doughnuts left them in my car when I came by for the fix....

my car was done in like 45 minutes and never a single question about my mad modifications... :)

I love my dealership

quick question, those of you having issues w/ the fan and ecu, do you have a MT or AT? everyone here who has fan/ecu issues have an MT. I have an AT and no issues. don't know if that makes a difference as I know the ECU is different... and no, i did not search through the 80 pages of this thread so Search Nazis can suck it.

Mine is a MT.

Search Nazis can suck it.
:lol: For some reason it's funnier coming from a woman.

ok, well after speaking with the hubby and some of the service techs, seems like the fan relay issue is on the MT and not the AT. that explains why i don't have any issues and 3 of the folks up here who have, all are 5MT. that was my brilliant epiphany yesterday while we worked under my hood (the car) on the sti swap... LOL.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

ok, well after speaking with the hubby and some of the service techs, seems like the fan relay issue is on the MT and not the AT. that explains why i don't have any issues and 3 of the folks up here who have, all are 5MT. that was my brilliant epiphany yesterday while we worked under my hood (the car) on the sti swap... LOL.

service bulletin reads MT only ;)

I dropped mine off today for this problem. They called before and told me they were ordering the ECU and relay. I have to go and drop off all of the keys for the car tonight. I assume because they have to pair them with the ECU.

I can't wait to get my car back. It is supposed to snow tomorrow. Besides, the fan has been pissing me off since the fall, this is the first time I've taken it in. I've been far to lazy....

Super JDM part out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65039

PM me an offer!

I dropped mine off today for this problem. They called before and told me they were ordering the ECU and relay. I have to go and drop off all of the keys for the car tonight. I assume because they have to pair them with the ECU.

I can't wait to get my car back. It is supposed to snow tomorrow. Besides, the fan has been pissing me off since the fall, this is the first time I've taken it in. I've been far to lazy....

I can't go without a car and I don't like loaners.

I took mine in and they had it repaired and replaced all parts and even had the keys all paired to the new ECU all in about 45 minutes.

WOW

Getting my ECU and relay replaced tomorrow. My fans started to run about a week ago. I took the car to the dealer on Monday, they diagnosed the TSB and ordered the parts. SOA overnighted then but I didn't have time to bring the car back until now. I'll post up the part numbers if anyone wants.
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

dropped off mine for oil change, replace rear wiper motor (burned out when service monkey decided to replace the wiper with a too long, wrong version - which of course caught on the wing, while I was driving in the rain. my bad, I didn't stop to undo it), and do the 45K check up and air filter change.

seeing as my fans started running full time two weeks ago, I let them know. The service manager claimed "we were the first to have the bad relay issue, back before the TSB" - but they still had to check it out themselves, then order parts.

They kept it overnight, so I should have it back today.

Does changing out the ECU also fix the stutter???

I just started to have fan issues, I turn on my AC and the fan doesn't turn off until I turn the key to off position. I hope there is no beef about my warranty I have a screen and after market stereo deck installed. I can't believe I never looked at this thread till today, big mistake.

I got some relief, I was told by the dealership that my warranty on the my cd player is void, which I don't care. But the ecu will be covered, especially if it is the fan relay. I'm sure it is, I noticed the sound about 4 days ago, it humms like a canary. My car goes in on wednesday, is there any potential damage I could do because of the fan relay, ie. fan failure before wednesday? Although, its been below freezing in my state for almost the entire last month. I just wanted to know if I shouldn't be driving my car with this issue.

please extoll on the "much much different feel in driveability" with the new ECU - what changed?

thanks

Just an overall *smoother* feel. Granted the stutter is there at times (cold/uphill) but MUCH less than the last ecu when it was stock. I JUST received the new ROM file for the new ecu so I will be working on an entirely new map to bring the punch back and smoothen it out some more.:icon_cool

EDIT: In an effort to define what I meant, the feel of the throttle is crisper, less hesitant on input such as when shifting and getting back on the gas. The transition is smoother, that was a big thing I noticed.

for those who may be worried that this could harm their car...

the fan control system was designed to default ON in case of an ECU or coolant temp circuit failure. would you rather have your fans run all the time or never... think what could happen if they never turned on in the summer with the A/C on on a hot day.

they are perfectly fine running all the time untill the new relay/ECU is installed, in a way, this was thought of and designed around a potential BIG problem. sure an ECU is $600, but an engine is $5000.

i got mine done several months ago now, been fine ever since. driving with the windows down and not hearing a fan blowing the whole time is great.

I dropped my legacy off today to get operated on lol, they hopefully will be able to drop the new ecu and relay in today and get my keys programmed. In the mean time I'm driving a non-turbo forester rental. Definitely a step down for me, but all in all I'm not too upset about this problem, I figure if this is the only major issue I run into till 100k I'm not going to be upset. Either way, I'll write a review on how the new ecu runs compared to the old one and let everyone know my opinion.

Archived