LegacyGT.com

Least favorite modifications?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do not have a lot of mods but if I had to pick one, I'd say my Xtec HID-5000K. Not to take anything away from RPM (great customer support) but when I lined up beside a TSX, I immediately noticed what I was missing.

Ditto. Of all the mods I've done, the Xtec 5000Ks were the most disappointing. They sure look impressive parked in front of a garage door, but driving back to back with a car with real factory HIDs (Infiniti FX35), there's no comparison.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I took it down to precision tuning in NJ to have it installed & they told me they'll never use another copper gasket again. Too many have disintigrated on people. They also told me they've had more than a few people come in with crucial uppipes that were a few degrees off & wouldn't fit for shit. I'm happy with my crucial downpipe but I was very unhappy with the UP & the gaskets
What did you pay for UP install at Precision?

Denial is your best friend

I thought copper were a better way to go? What the advantage supposed to be?

I was under the impression that copper seals better and is actually more resistant to blow-outs.... when installed correctly and when the operator remembers to properly re-torque after heat-cycling.

I know that various manufacturers claim this to be the case - but who can trust such claims? :confused: Not me, that's for sure. I'm a skeptic.

The other main source that I tend to get this statement from are my musclecar buddies. For applications where they are able to utilize manufactured gaskets, they all prefer copper. I actually got the same "oh, those are some good parts" remarks from the various auto-parts retailers that I frequent close-by, when they saw that my Crucial kit arrived with the embossed copper gaskets. Similar recommendations as well as cautionary tales come from countless automotive articles, both on-line and in-print.

All point to modern gasket blow-outs to be blamed typically on improper installation or forgetting to re-torque components - exhaust gasses are typically hot enough, especially at this close juncture, to easily perforate *any* type/material gasket once a hot-spot, from escaping gasses, develops.

All I can say is that I myself - outside of my own stupidity and improper installation - have never experienced problems with either my fixed UP (Crucial) nor any copper gaskets.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

My least favorite mod is going to be my Volks which very well might also be my favorite. I say least because it's a pain worrying about theft and being on the CONSTANT lookout for potholes and road debris in NJ/NY/NYC.

:lol::lol:

Or you could just sit back & let the wifey take the LGT shopping....She attempts parallell parking the LGT so you can get an even nicer set of wheels;)

Post up those pics when they are installed!!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

What did you pay for UP install at Precision?

I don't remember but it wasn't outrageous. Give them a shout. They're an awesome shop & a great bunch of guys.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Ditto. Of all the mods I've done, the Xtec 5000Ks were the most disappointing. They sure look impressive parked in front of a garage door, but driving back to back with a car with real factory HIDs (Infiniti FX35), there's no comparison.

I might do OEM bulbs + D2S plugs using Xtec ballasts. Let's see if it improves.

I was under the impression that copper seals better and is actually more resistant to blow-outs.... when installed correctly and when the operator remembers to properly re-torque after heat-cycling.

I know that various manufacturers claim this to be the case - but who can trust such claims? :confused: Not me, that's for sure. I'm a skeptic.

The other main source that I tend to get this statement from are my musclecar buddies. For applications where they are able to utilize manufactured gaskets, they all prefer copper. I actually got the same "oh, those are some good parts" remarks from the various auto-parts retailers that I frequent close-by, when they saw that my Crucial kit arrived with the embossed copper gaskets. Similar recommendations as well as cautionary tales come from countless automotive articles, both on-line and in-print.

All point to modern gasket blow-outs to be blamed typically on improper installation or forgetting to re-torque components - exhaust gasses are typically hot enough, especially at this close juncture, to easily perforate *any* type/material gasket once a hot-spot, from escaping gasses, develops.

All I can say is that I myself - outside of my own stupidity and improper installation - have never experienced problems with either my fixed UP (Crucial) nor any copper gaskets.

Me thinks copper is just too weak. I've had both cross-pipe joints leak from the factory, yet the gaskets have not blown out after 25k. Honestly there's no frickin' point. OEM gaskets leak because of one reason, not getting the pieces to mate properly... copper doesn't help that at all. Looking at the gaskets, they are not just gaskets, they need to be strong enough to withstand the heat and pressure before the turbo, as much the pipes themselves.

Oh and my 2 cents:

1. GFB blow off. My stock piece was working just fine, at least it confirmed that.

2. Aftermarket sub: don't do it without getting something like a 30-band EQ. It will suck otherwise, seriously.

I took it down to precision tuning in NJ to have it installed & they told me they'll never use another copper gasket again. Too many have disintigrated on people. They also told me they've had more than a few people come in with crucial uppipes that were a few degrees off & wouldn't fit for shit. I'm happy with my crucial downpipe but I was very unhappy with the UP & the gaskets

My least favorite was using precision tuning...everything they did never worked right....DP always had a leak, the first one hit my firewall and the car wouldn't accelerate, settin goff the knock sensor or something...UP flange broke apart...They must just have bad luck, i guess.......My local Subie dealer fixed everything right and it's been great since....

Just did my "worst" mod. Crucial thermostat. Nothing wrong with the part itself, but what a disaster of an install. I thought my first oil change was messy; no comparison, coolant everywhere. I finally got everything put together after ~2 hours (including letting the car cool down initially), and started filling with new coolant only to find it pouring out the bottom. Idiot me didn't realize the gasket that came with the thermostat was supposed to get pulled over the rim of it, I just had it on one side so I had to open it back up, sending coolant everywhere once again.

I am glad I replaced the coolant though, there were serious chunks in it. I'm also happy to have a thermostat that will fail open if it fails at all, that's really the only reason I got it. Just wish I would have paid for acoolant flush and had the thermostat installed professionally. At least I now know never to do a coolant flush on my own. I know others have said this is an easy mod, but for me, on ramps along the street, it was a very messy ordeal.

*Edited for formatting.

My least favorite would hafta be new speakers. I got some JL's put in all my doors, I can't remember what line they were, but good christ did they suck. The guy that installed them kept tellin me how great they sounded and how happy I was gonna be. They were clearer, but there was absolutely NO bass, I wasn't expecting much overall, but more from stock at least. And whenever bass would hit when I had the volume over like, 12, the tweeters would pop horribly. I spent about $700 altogether with gettin them installed. When they took them back out they didn't refund my labor costs, which I expected, but they didn't reseal the factory speakers right so now whenever there's any bass they just sound like flapping.

Its funny how sometimes you don't have the money to do something right the first time, but after the second and third times, you manage to scrape it together and then some.
ignore him, he'll go away.

AVO (K&N Type) Air Filter and changing out the stock 5EAT shift knob for an aluminum Momo knob that will burn your hand in the summer....

(Geez - I've been around over a year and I still haven't reached 100 posts!!)

My AVO Hi-Flow Air filter - 3 or 4 days after putting it in, my car misfired and died. Could've just been bad gas, or maybe it was the air filter, or maybe a combination of the two. Who knows, all I know is I have a $65 AVO air filter sitting in my room wrapped up in the box not being used.

AVO (K&N Type) Air Filter and changing out the stock 5EAT shift knob for an aluminum Momo knob that will burn your hand in the summer....

(Geez - I've been around over a year and I still haven't reached 100 posts!!)

Thats not a burn, its a BRAND:lol:

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Archived